The Park’s Finest
Pho 87
Raffi’s Place
San Pedro Fish Market
The Serving Spoon
Simply Wholesome
X’Tiosu Kitchen

4 Likes

Has Dan Sung Sa come back from the dead? Last time I was there it had gone way downhill, full of tourists.

Everyplace else on the list I’ve been to I’d go back to.

Someone was drunk while eating the food there and mistook being busy for being good.

1 Like

You mean Sun Nong Dan, right? Still great, and yes swarmed by tourists (though food quality has not suffered). You’ll hear far more Mandarin spoken in that K-town plaza (at 6th & Alexandria) than Korean lol.

It’s not on the list. Dan Sung Sa is, as the “quintessential Koreatown pub.” Though just as well the author is steering people there.

Speaking of Sun Nong Dan:

Thanks for posting!

2 Likes

Nah. If you read the blurb (and the list introduction, if you have time) you might understand why it’s on the list.

2 Likes

Nice for including Boiling Crab, which needs to be given more credit for its place in food history. I don’t think many people realize that Viet-Cajun may have started in Louisiana/Houston, but the current iteration of the crab boil broth that we know it as today arguably was invented by Boiling Crab in Little Saigon.

2 Likes

With all due respect, so what?
As you say, it was invented on the Gulf Coast…period. Should Evan Funke get credit for inventing pasta? That broth is the same as I’ve had at Cajun-Viet places in Louisiana…

Good list :+1:

1 Like

What was Boiling Crab’s historic innovation? Cajun garlic-lemon butter?

Thank you!

Andrea Nguyen once argued this point at Southern Food Alliance, which did not go well in Dallas. But I’ll leave it at this:

Early versions of crawfish served at Vietnamese-owned restaurants resembled Louisiana boils but with more spices in the water; the crawfish came with squeeze bottles of condiments to create dipping sauces. When garlic butter entered the picture can’t be pinpointed. Walsh wrote that the trend started in Houston but noted a story in the Los Angeles Times that claims it began with the Boiling Crab restaurant in Orange County, Calif., in 2004. Food historian John T. Edge has placed the origin of boiled crawfish finished in a buttery blend of garlic, lemon pepper and Cajun spices with Boiling Crab in the early 2000s.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/food/article/Viet-Cajun-crawfish-gaining-culinary-fame-12729134.php

2 Likes

Sun Nong Dan has definitely gone downhill, not recently but prob around the time David Chang blew it up.

I remember when I use to live down the street it was never packed and the short ribs in it were thick cut. Nowadays its mostly thin cut so that it braises faster.

I never went before Chang but when we went this was our experience. We mostly got thin cut slices not attached to the bone. That is not galbi jjim. It’s brisket.

Aww that’s a shame if they are not using short ribs. I wonder if it’s the case for Sun Nong Dan’s Rowland and San Gabriel location. Not as busy as Ktown

Interestingly, in this article written by John T. Edge…

A similar, but more expansive, ethic applies at the Vietnamese-owned crayfish restaurants that began opening in Houston around 2000, and a few years later in Southern California.

Interesting. I’m still not on board with a strong SoCal influence/relevance but I appreciate the information you posted.
Thanks

1 Like

Glad to see Carnitas El Momo on the list since their mixed taco/mulita is my go-to.

Third bang with @PorkyBelly after Chinatown After Dark and Ricebox

carnitas/buche/chicharrón taco - free sample

carnitas/buche/chicharrón taco - My actual order…meat is quadrupled that of the free sample…all for 2 fidy…deeply savory and wonderful texture variations from the meat and organs.

4 Likes