A Brooklyn NY Pizza Transplant in Culver City - Roberta's [Thoughts + Pics]

We didn’t have anything like that in the actual South End

What’s wrong with this?

A server at a pizzeria claiming that the burger is the best thing on the menu? Does the McDonald’s cashier recommend the Whopper as the best thing on the Value Menu?

Anyway, back to Brooklyn pies. Best in LA is at Lupetti

5 Likes

I’d imagine not! I actually have no idea why they went with the name.
Owner/chef is Italian and spent time at Mozza (if I’m remembering correctly). No connection to Boston AFAIK.

1 Like

+1.

Also a +1. I’ve gotten an existential/philosophical rash the few times I’ve gone to the Platform, but I can tolerate the quieter end of Abbot Kinney…

1 Like

To be fair, never ask the server for their recommendations. And to be fair to the server, it seemed the restaurant was off on their execution on a lot of non-pizza stuff on those days. Cheese not melted?

I’m guessing west coast Roberta’s is a miss. Fortunately for them, LA eaters allows a huge margin of error and handicap to pizza restaurants and Italian restaurants in general over other types of cuisine.

I wish! In my neck of the East Coast woods there was pizza and there was clams and they rarely mixed. Spaghetti with clams? Yes. Pizza with clams? I wish. Our local pizza spots were a slightly more civilized version of Sal’s Pizzeria in Do the Right Thing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure why they said this. As I’ve pointed out several times (I guess you missed my comments) Roberta’s very deliberately departs from traditional Neapolitan style:

I can’t recall the last time I ordered a burger at McDonald’s.

Thanks @Bigmouth. Yah, I can only report back what the restaurant (multiple staff members) told us what they were serving, but clearly it’s a departure from traditional Neapolitan.

All you have to do is look at the toppings, the number of toppings, the quantity of toppings.

Name refers to the South End of Abbot Kinney. And for those who are AK avoiders - it’s right off of Washington Blvd in a minimall with parking. Walking distance from my house so it’s in the regular rotation.

3 Likes

Yep yep yep. It feels completely separate from the scene of AK.
Very neighborhoody place and incredibly friendly staff.

1 Like

Interesting. King Arthur + Caputo + 24-hour proof.

Ended up here for lunch. Pictured is the Crispy Glover and a beer from pizza port

2 Likes

Hmmn- just had my first Roberta’s L.A. pizza (I have tried their kiosk in NYC near Grand Central Station) via Caviar delivery. Sure, pizza suffers some via delivery, but this one was just not good at all.

Had the Famous Original Pizza (Tomato, Mozzarella, Parmigiano Reggiano, Caciocavallo and Red Pepper Flakes). Bleh. Flabby crust (yeah, I know it’s delivery and this one arrived practically cold, but still) and the tomato sauce was too sweet with not enough acid (which can’t be blamed on delivery). Have had much better delivered pizzas from Mozza2Go or Il Fico. Wished I had ordered one of those or just walked over to Eataly. Doesn’t make me want to try the Culver City brick and mortar location.

4 Likes

I finally tried their pizza and not going to return. The popups were a lot better for me.

2 Likes

Just saw Mario win Guys Grocery Games, an all pizza competition. Super creative.

2 Likes

yeah, that was pretty cool…I saw the tv episode…sweet…take photos…im planning on a South End visit, too! Wow, and Mozza! great pizza eating!

2 Likes

I liked the Roberta’s pie I had…its been months because I couldn’t take the noise level!

We had South End takeout again last night. Also “dined in” in mini mall parking lot a couple weeks ago. No photos but so good! And I’m really happy that they seem to be doing good business, at least on weekends.

4 Likes

Returned to South End this past week…no photos but the 1905 was perfect…the crust, thin chewy with a touch of crispness, the chunks of spicy fennel sausage made me delirious…the sauce & mootz, just right! I’ll catch up with Mario Vollera next week! graze mille, maestro!

4 Likes