A Lighter Hakata Ramen Arrives on the Westside - Japan's Famous Ippudo Ramen (Santa Monica) [Thoughts + Pics]

Looks promising. I didn’t care for my Ippudo NYC experience.

2 Likes

Hi @ipsedixit,

Nice! It seems to be a rather rare experience in So Cal. Any particular favorites / pairings?

Hi @beefnoguy,

Oh nice! So was it Kanegae-san? Our server also mentioned that he’d be working with 2 key staff members who’d remain in Santa Monica overseeing the cooking: Kohei Yanno-san and a person named Yuki-san.

I think the big thing to watch out for is if they can improve the core Shiromaru (Tonkotsu) Broth, and the Chashu. It’s also rather surprising they didn’t try to do a real Aji Tama (Seasoned Egg with the custardy, soft, liquid center) here, but they have it at Ippudo SF (and Berkeley perhaps? @robert).

SoCal ditto on that.

Hi @Ns1,

Yah, I’m not sure how Ippudo NY compares with SF, but as a frame of reference Santa Monica’s Tonkotsu classic broth was weaker than Ippudo SF. However, the Akamaru Modern and Karaka (Spicy) had solid flavors without being too porky.

But definitely try the Bonito Shoyu Ramen if you’re in the mood for that style, that was our favorite. And that Vegan Ramen I mentioned earlier was also a surprising standout (the Veggie Shoyu Ramen). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope not Kanegae san. My friend is based in SF and unfortunately isn’t involved much in cooking as far as I know (unless it’s to design and introduce new dishes). And unfortunately I have no power to provide feedback directly, so whoever else goes, just be blunt and straightfoward…if they really do care then they need all the feedback they can get if they want repeat business (or better yet have them enable this online and at the restaurant).

You all are not alone, people have complained about the ajitama at Ippudo SF too. My other friend who disliked the hard boiled egg (default) was later told hanjuku was offered upon request… major doh right there.

I think Ippudo US needs to do a better job and put in more attention to detail regarding hard boiled eggs if they are going to serve that, and don’t put that as de-facto knowing well American ramen eaters prefer half boiled or 63 degree yolk regardless of the ramen style. It is possible to do a hard boiled egg yolk that comes out like a mix between a powdery like texture and a light paste that is enjoyable, exactly like what I posted for one of my ramen in Tokyo experiences here. It’s a hard boiled egg but it’s not to the point where the yolk is dry. I mean…thermometers are not that expensive to get this right (or sous vide machines)?

Some tonkotsu ramen restaurants in Fukuoka Japan, do a basic shiromaru like style and the bowls do not come with egg as well.

3 Likes

Hi @beefnoguy,

Very interesting that your sommelier friend helped develop the menus at SF and SM; neat. :slight_smile:

Yes, the menu was divided with Fruity, Rich, Hot Sake, Dry and “Special & Limited” sections.

Ippudo SF has a dinner-only izakaya menu? How is it? How does it compare with places like Iroriya, Ginji or Raku? With izakaya small plates, I definitely agree that having a good Sake menu makes sense and pairs better. :wink:

One of the most curious ones was the Hakkaisan “Snow Dorm 3 Years” - Junmai Ginjo Sake which they said was aged and chilled for 3 years in a literal snow igloo / dorm(!). Have you tried it before?

Lastly, “yes” the Born Muroka Nama Genshu was opened just for us. And that’s a great point that it might not last very long.

this place looks soooo weak. I’ll stick with menya musashi and tsujita.

Hi @skramzlife,

Yah, these days I think we have a great variety of styles of ramen, and if one likes a bolder, more flavorful broth like what Tsujita and Menya Musashi offer, Ippudo is not going to cut it in that regards. Tsujita’s Tonkotsu-Gyokai Broth for their tsukemen is still standout and tops in L.A. in that regard. Add in their luscious Chashu Pork and Soft-Boiled Egg combo and it’s hard to beat. :slight_smile:

Since you like that bolder style at Tsujita, something different but still big on flavor is Ippudo’s Bonito Shoyu Ramen. If you ever decide to go, give that one a try.

And their Appetizers and some of their Buns are also unique; things that Tsujita and Menya don’t offer.

I learn so much from everyone here. Thank you. Chowseeker I always enjoy your reports, your pictures, and the fact you give a place several visits before offering your opinion!

1 Like

I loved it! Thank you @Chowseeker1999 for the recommendation. I may maybeee even like it more than my beloved Daikokuya. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not the sake savant like our friend @beefnoguy. I just drink whatever my friend orders and is put in front me.

2 Likes

Thanks again @ebethsdad. :slight_smile: If you end up going, please report back on your experience.

Hi @Bookwich,

So glad you liked it. :slight_smile: Did you only try the Shiromaru Veggie Ramen? Or any other flavors?

If you get a chance (and are OK with Chicken and Fish Broth (with some bits of Pork thrown in), try their Bonito Shoyu Ramen. Or, my 2nd favorite, the amazing (Vegan) Veggie Shoyu Ramen (which was fantastic). :blush:

(On a side note, all 3 of the veggie ramen are 100% Vegan.)

Enjoy!

1 Like

finally went here and go the shoyu bowl…the broth was pretty good not going to lie, but the charsiu and noodles were trash…not likely to come back.

Iki Ramen destroys this for similar tier new ramen place.

2 Likes

Completely agree.

Hi @skramzlife,

Thanks for the report back. That’s good to know what the state of their ramen is like these days (we haven’t bothered going back after our initial visits last year). From what it sounds like for the chashu and noodles, that’s really unfortunate and bad. :frowning: We were already not thrilled that the chashu we had (during their grand opening no less) was not stellar and not fresh. We loved the shoyu broth though.

Thanks for the reminder on Iki. :slight_smile:

They’re putting one up in West Holly too by the Gelsons (my old street)

I learned to order beer with ramen from watching Samurai Gourmet. I like it!

3 Likes

Ippudo in Santa Monica was so mediocre not looking forward to the West Hollywood one

1 Like