A little help with my LA itinerary (critique and recommendations?) *And now a little update

Ah, I was referring to DTF for the XLB not for their beef noodle soup (wasn’t bad, but not what I desired). I saw the tip for both Dai Ho and Corner Beef Noodle, and it sounds like fantastic choices! Thanks for the direction.

Huh, I’ve never seen the rice cake omelet before. Sounds like an interesting place to go to!

Thanks for the other recommendations! Sounds like J. Zhou is good for that local area, but not worth the drive.

I am willing to drive all over. It was just last time we were around Monterey Park and tried Big Tree Pastry (really good imo), Beijing Duck House (duck was a little dry last time, and some of the better items seem to require special order) and Elite (good, but don’t think I’ll need to return anytime soon). After that we did have dinner at Boston Lobster (huge lobster! great beef cubes as well though were stuffed at the end) and dim sum at Sea Harbour as well. Is Lunasia kinda like how Yank Sing is in San Francisco? I recall the servers had very good English and my bill seemed to reflect that price haha.

Hmm, I guess to further specialize on that. For one day thinking a HK style breakfast like macaroni and ham in soup and a pineapple bun. Looking for a place that also has a good lemon tea/HK Style tea. If that area isn’t too strong, maybe a place with good baked pork chops over rice.

Yeah! I recall seeing pictures of that shrimp paste stuffed chicken. Looked awesome. Is there any other notable dish you would suggest?

I’ll show my parents the menu and see what they think. Though if I recall, Shanxi cuisine may use lamb and such right? Mom isn’t too fond of that gamey lamb/goat taste.

I would take J Zhou over Sea Harbour these days. Sea Harbour used to make really amazing dim sum. I haven’t had a meal there now days that warrants a return.

Chef Hung is refined, I enjoy the nuanced flavors of their broth and the tendon and tripe are fantastic. Dai Ho and Corner Beef Noodle are more in your face broth. I like the broth better at Dai Ho but everything else at Corner Beef Noodle. What keeps me coming back to Corner Beef Noodle is their pickled cabbage, they will give you extra if you want it. But both are great.

Yes, and they have added a small “Asian” area outside with food vendors and Hop Wing Fung. Also, Life Plaza down the street and many other places to walk around.

There is nothing to see in those little centers really. But it is a short drive to Rowland Heights where you can walk around many plazas including Yes Plaza, Diamond Plaza, and many many more on Gale Ave and Colima Rd.

the food at lunasia isn’t bad, though i understand it’s a bit more expensive at the pasadena location. the place just feels… wrong to me. i associate dim sum with hk/cantonese regional cuisine, and at lunasia the staff and clientele all seem to be speaking mandarin. it just bothers me and while i make no apologies for it i also don’t try to defend it.

DFC does a really good minced pork with rice with an egg on top. i see that on a lot of tables when i go there.

as for embassy kitchen, there’s a portion of the menu written in chinese which might interest your folks. also, the stuffed duck seems to be popular but that also has to be ordered in advance.

as for lao xi noodle house, while there is some lamb on the menu including some very good lamb dumplings, the shanxi cuisine also uses a lot of aged vinegars (on a par with better balsamics IMO) so that i’d hesitate to describe anything on their menu as gamy. but since wheat is the staple crop, it’s significantly noodle based, though wheat is not always the base ingredient depending on the type of noodle; buckwheat / potato / mung bean based noodles are part of it as well. i just think it’s worth visiting.

Perhaps Seafood Palace in Rosemead? I haven’t been awhile, but I do remember seeing mantis shrimp there once or twice.

Seafood Paradise in Rosemead is a purveyor of seafood but NOT a restaurant. They sometimes have live mantis shrimp in holding tanks. I did a Chowhound pictorial essay on it back before I left CH.

1 Like

That place is ripe for a Canto chef or family to come in next door or nearby. You buy the seafood, they cook it anyway you want. Like in Hong Kong ala Aberdeen Fish Market. Maybe a daily special of jook or soup.

Instead all we see is spicy, oily commie food

4 Likes

I don’t like spicy, oily commie food, not one bit.

Yes, cuz we all prefer bland and dry commie food.

1 Like

Ewww.

I was thinking spicy, oily capitalist-pig food.

1 Like

Whoops, didn’t know how I missed these two pictures. They look great! How does Langer’s compare to NY’s Pastrami sandwiches? Had delicious (if not ungodly filling of pastrami) sandwiches both at Carnegie’s and Katz.

Ah that makes sense. I went roughly a yearish ago and thought Sea Harbour’s pretty good, just thought I’d try another dim sum place. Elite for me seemed hyped up by friends as it didn’t quite hit the mark for me.

Sounds good! I’ll pick based on whatever area I’m currently at for lunch then. [quote=“A5KOBE, post:23, topic:5336”]
There is nothing to see in those little centers really. But it is a short drive to Rowland Heights where you can walk around many plazas including Yes Plaza, Diamond Plaza, and many many more on Gale Ave and Colima Rd.
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendations. My little google maps itinerary is filling up.

Haha fair enough. I’ll most likely stop by Red China instead then. I honestly just heard about the place as one of the better dim sum parlors in the area. I do recall popping in to see the menu when I was at honey badger’s and it seemed alright.

Awesome! I haven’t had that in a long time, there use to be a place in the East bay that did a good rendition, but it closed over a decade ago.

We were thinking of the shrimp paste chicken and the fish rolls. Couple that with some veggies and maybe soup, should be a feast for us three.

Sounds good. I’ll keep that in mind and see what my folks would like. Thanks for the information!

Oooh thanks for the recommendation. Yeah we weren’t really thinking of a specific place to eat mantis shrimp. It just came about that in one of our local restaurants (after we ordered everything), I overheard the server talking about mantis shrimp and later seeing it on another table. Found out that the mantis shrimp is flown in to SFO at random times. Quite rare for me to see in the bay, and one of my friends in LA brought it up that she occasionally sees them at her super market so I was rather curious.

did i say red china originally?

if you go to china red, make sure you order the macau style egg custard tarts. appropriately runny. in general. china red’s quality is very very good, but their menu isn’t nearly as extensive as the other dim-sim-by-menu places.

personally, i’m very fond of the steamed minced pork, either with squid or salted egg. i know it’s so… like ordering a hamburger at a steak house, but it’s just so homey and the execution is top notch.

are you kidding? i can talk about food in the SGV for hours.

… this board is a national treasure.

1 Like

<insert self-demeaning pithy comment here >

That would be amazing.

Has this NOT happened because “commie” places are on the upswing, while Cantonese seems to have been on a stagnant to slowly declining trend?

In my opinion Langer’s Pastrami is even better than NY pastrami, and their double baked rye seals the deal…

6 Likes