A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

Underwhelmed = you weren’t drunk enough. Your taste buds should be fried from the cigars anyway.

while i do enjoy cigars, i prefer milder ones. actually i went because my friend willie macneil leads the latin band that plays there on friday nights.

1 Like

This is insanely great. You are truly doing the Taco Lord’s work.

Have to say, I’m pleasantly surprised by your write-up of Loqui. Excited to try it now.

thank you for your great taco reports.

i hope you and everyone who read this learned a lesson about prejudice.

Amazing report!

The carne asada mulitas are also great at Tio Flaco’s. FWIW, most of my visits have been after peak hours close to closing time, and the meat has always tasted fresh and tender.

1 Like

You sir are a gentleman and scholar.

2 Likes

Thanks @President_Mochi. :slight_smile:

Yah if you’re in the area definitely give Loqui a try. It’s one of the places I’m craving right now.

@Chowseeker1999​:+1:t2::clap:t2:

There’s an elusive al pastor joint somewhere around around normandie & melrose & Beverly vicinity in Ktown on a smaller secondary alley.

Just a table and al pastor trompo, a bit like La Guera. I’ve failed to note the exact location and have not been able to find it since. Any ideas?

Do you have any idea what Quetzalcoatl hours are??

Everyone else has hours except them. Did you just call to see if they were there/open?

Hi @Sgee,

Darn it. I’ll try and keep my eyes open, but I might need a break from this. :stuck_out_tongue: Let me know if you try it first.

Hi @Aesthete,

Thanks for the catch. Let me update the hours in the post above:

(Closed Wednesdays)
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri:
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Sat - Sun:
6 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Once again, incredible work, @Chowseeker1999! I was so excited about Loqui finally opening that I dragged my husband here this afternoon, but didn’t notice that your review said they’re closed on Sunday. Well, I learned my lesson by going with the hours posted on Yelp… I’m going to try that mushroom taco someday. It looked wonderful in your review.

Hi @MaladyNelson,

Thanks. Definitely try that Mushroom Taco; hopefully you enjoy it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. That’s incredible that they open at 5 am on weekends, wow. The weirdest hours I’ve ever seen.

I really gotta try the place out.

Very excited about trying Loqui out though, handmade flour tortillas really excite me haha

I was at the corner of Central and E 8th at 2 pm Wed. and they were nowhere to be found. When I called the number they said they were closed for the day, Since my Spanish isn’t good and neither was his english, that’s as far as we got.

Hi @Mattapoisett_in_LA,

Bummer. Strangely, I was there last week at around 2 p.m. as well and they were open. Maybe it was a slow day and they packed up?

The hours I got was from the lady who spoke some English and was grilling at the same time.

Hi @Mattapoisett_in_LA,

I swung by and managed to speak with another lady who spoke some English. I was told wrong info the first time. Updated Hours (I’ll update my post):

(Closed Wednesdays)
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri:
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Sat - Sun:
6 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Sorry about that.

1 Like

Graçias Por Todo!

Thanks for updating the hours.

I finally made it there this morning. I was so hungry I didn’t take photos unfortunately. I just repeated your order anyway, so nothing to really report. The habanero salsa was nice, just the right heat level imo.

I’m curious where the beans come from in your photos?

Overall, from the more rustic feeling tortillas (these look like all the tortillas in photos from taco places in Mexico; a fact which I’ll personally check on in about a week lol), to the fresh salsas/guac/veggies, and quite flavorful/unusual meat and veggie taco fillings this place really is like top 5 taco place in LA it seems like to me. Although personally, my favorite was the adobo taco. I haven’t seen anything else like it at any other taco truck.

For variety and quality of food I think they could raise prices from $1.80/taco to $2.50 easily hah.

I would say the barbacoa is good, but they seemed to recommend mixing it with the adobo, which I think probably is best, as otherwise it didn’t seem as smokey as other places, idk if it’s super write home worthy though.

Also, cecina was nice, but I think the cecina is better at Tacos Cuernavaca, however, since they are on almost opposite schedules I guess that doesn’t really matter, it’s always nice to have good cecina.

The chicharron presnado is a super fun/packed taco as well. Real standout you also don’t see.

My only regret is not order a huazontles taco; guess I wanted a reason to return =P

I wonder if their more traditional offerings like pollo/asada/carnitas are worth getting?

1 Like

Hi @Aesthete,

Nice report back. Thanks for your thoughts. :slight_smile:

The Frijoles were in a small heated container near the grill. The lady who was grilling the taco fillings asked if we wanted them or not, and I said only on the ones that traditionally come with it, and she added it on those (it was delicious).

Yah, their prices ($1.xx per taco) seem like a nice bargain still. :slight_smile:

Loved the Chicharron Prensado as well. They were sold out of the Huazontles when we went, so I was bummed about that.

Their standards, I didn’t order because I asked the lady who spoke English and she said the ones to get were the ones I ended up ordering (her recommendations). Thanks.

Epic report!

Thank you.