A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

Kogi brick and mortar on Overland in Palms-West LA is now open…
T-S 11-11
Sun 11-9

2 Likes

Nice @wienermobile, thanks for the heads up.

How was it compared to their truck?

@Porthos @Selfportrait93: Thanks. :slight_smile: I can’t for you to try some of these places and give your thoughts.

It just opened today! Will try to get there by Thursday with photos…

2 Likes

Save your money and go to n/naka.

1 Like

Hi @CiaoBob,

Hah! For sure. :slight_smile: One day I’ll be able to save up enough and plan out 3 months in advance to get a reservation.

1 Like

That taco has my name all over it. Thanks for the great report as always.

Such fantastically helpful reviews. I love it that you go back for a 2nd shot to ensure consistency. Thanks.

1 Like

What kind of surface is Salazar grilling on? It’s a little hard to tell from the angle of the image, but it appears to be a solid piece of metal that has been pressed into a continuous corrugated surface. If that’s the case, the problem of no smoke is that.

Chowseeker1999, continue your endless Taco journey. You’ve inspired me to make Tacos as part of my weekly diet. I’ve been to Tire Shop Taqueria 4 times now and absolutely loved their Tijuana Style tacos, particularly the Carne Asada con todo. There’s really nothing like having a taco with warm, fresh, handmade corn tortillas. OMG, after the first bite of thiese soft handhelds, the taco experience has been kicked up another notch. Makes me think twice about those store bought, packaged tortillas used by other taquerias. It really does.
I was going to try Tacos Los Poblanos the other night just to compare with Tire Shop but the line was crazy long and we were really impatiently hungry. So we ended up at Tire shop, which was really a no brainer.
La Carreta is also on my list of " to try".
Once again, thank you for your mouth watering reports.
I look forward to reading your next food journey.

1 Like

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks. Yes! I was thinking of you when we had the Tocino Taco, LOL. That Pork Belly they have at Taco Maria was really, really good. :slight_smile:

Hi @Helper_Monkey,

Thanks. I wish I could go visit more. I’m not as thorough as our veteran FTC’ers or our old Hounds. I can’t afford it, or the time most of the time.

1 Like

Hi @bulavinaka,

I thought they had an open grill, but I saw a flat top part as well I think. The $26 Steak we ordered did have some mesquite smokiness (finally), but not on their Carne Asada Tacos.

Went to Rocio’s once (the move must’ve happened fairly recently, b/c I could’ve sworn it was less than a year ago), and I LOVE it. From the presentation (stark and spare but elegant) to the way the food tasted (of course), there was such a thoughtfulness and elegance. Although I did find the tortillas just a wee bit too thick. :wink: Sad to hear she’s moved, although glad she’s still cooking at all.

I really want to try Taco Maria b/c of all the raves reviews, but it’s just SO far. But maybe one day. :slight_smile:

Your review is just glorious, @Chowseeker1999! I’d nominate you for president!

Ah, I miss Rocio’s so much… I was hoping that they’d be able to recover from the arson attack in the valley. Looks like a trip to Bell Gardens is now in order.

I had the same general experience at Taco Maria. The fish taco and tocino are incredible–two of the very best tacos I have ever had. The carne asada and vegetarian tacos were just ok.

1 Like

I think if that setup doesn’t allow the smoke from the mesquite to rise up through the grill and on the meat, no smoke for flavor. Also, the fat and juices that drip down onto the coals and return upward as smoke offer flavor as well. I know this is obvious too us, but I have to wonder if it has come to mind with the kitchen.

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Cool, glad you like Rocio’s as well. :slight_smile: Which Moles did you like the most from the menu?

Yah, when I heard about the fire, and Rocio’s restaurant burning down, I was sad, but I’m glad she’s recovered and moved to Bell Gardens, which is much closer than Sun Valley LOL.

I didn’t get a chance to try her Tortillas at either of her other locations, but at her new one, I thought the density was on par with Broken Spanish’s awesome Heirloom Tortillas, and really nice and toasty. :slight_smile: Thanks.

As an FYI: Loqui is officially out of the Carne Asada game and are now doing pork taco’s which look to be braised and kept on the steam table. It was a good and nicely garnished, the fresh tortilla was perfectly cooked.

1 Like

Hi @Selfportrait93,

Nice! Glad you like Tire Shop Taqueria. :slight_smile: Hope you get a chance to try La Carreta one of these days and would love to hear your thoughts on the place. :slight_smile: (And don’t forget to try a Chorreada as well when you go.)

Hi @aaqjr,

Wow, good update! I’ll update my post above with that info. I guess they couldn’t make it work with Carne Asada. Love their Mushrooms though.

I am glad you enjoyed Los Poblanos!!

Don’t forget about the complimentary beans and grilled chile peppers.

1 Like

Absolutely , a stellar review and pictures . I’ll tuck this in my folder for reference when I return .