A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

Went to Rocio’s once (the move must’ve happened fairly recently, b/c I could’ve sworn it was less than a year ago), and I LOVE it. From the presentation (stark and spare but elegant) to the way the food tasted (of course), there was such a thoughtfulness and elegance. Although I did find the tortillas just a wee bit too thick. :wink: Sad to hear she’s moved, although glad she’s still cooking at all.

I really want to try Taco Maria b/c of all the raves reviews, but it’s just SO far. But maybe one day. :slight_smile:

Your review is just glorious, @Chowseeker1999! I’d nominate you for president!

Ah, I miss Rocio’s so much… I was hoping that they’d be able to recover from the arson attack in the valley. Looks like a trip to Bell Gardens is now in order.

I had the same general experience at Taco Maria. The fish taco and tocino are incredible–two of the very best tacos I have ever had. The carne asada and vegetarian tacos were just ok.

1 Like

I think if that setup doesn’t allow the smoke from the mesquite to rise up through the grill and on the meat, no smoke for flavor. Also, the fat and juices that drip down onto the coals and return upward as smoke offer flavor as well. I know this is obvious too us, but I have to wonder if it has come to mind with the kitchen.

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Cool, glad you like Rocio’s as well. :slight_smile: Which Moles did you like the most from the menu?

Yah, when I heard about the fire, and Rocio’s restaurant burning down, I was sad, but I’m glad she’s recovered and moved to Bell Gardens, which is much closer than Sun Valley LOL.

I didn’t get a chance to try her Tortillas at either of her other locations, but at her new one, I thought the density was on par with Broken Spanish’s awesome Heirloom Tortillas, and really nice and toasty. :slight_smile: Thanks.

As an FYI: Loqui is officially out of the Carne Asada game and are now doing pork taco’s which look to be braised and kept on the steam table. It was a good and nicely garnished, the fresh tortilla was perfectly cooked.

1 Like

Hi @Selfportrait93,

Nice! Glad you like Tire Shop Taqueria. :slight_smile: Hope you get a chance to try La Carreta one of these days and would love to hear your thoughts on the place. :slight_smile: (And don’t forget to try a Chorreada as well when you go.)

Hi @aaqjr,

Wow, good update! I’ll update my post above with that info. I guess they couldn’t make it work with Carne Asada. Love their Mushrooms though.

I am glad you enjoyed Los Poblanos!!

Don’t forget about the complimentary beans and grilled chile peppers.

1 Like

Absolutely , a stellar review and pictures . I’ll tuck this in my folder for reference when I return .

Ahhhh you didn’t get the potatoes from Ave 26!!! They are free and they cook them in that pot of offal.

The free potatoes are a must at Ave 26

That eggplant taco at Guerilla looks so tasty.

1 Like

Favorite? I’ve never even heard of it. But now I must try it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Emglow101. Hope you get to try some of the delicious Taco places when you come back to visit. :slight_smile:

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Oh! We did. I just forgot to take a picture and forgot to write about it, LOL. :sweat_smile: I’ll update my post now on thoughts. (they were great! :slight_smile: Thanks.

And yes, that Eggplant Taco from Guerilla was really tasty.

I think of Amor y Tacos as a good Mexican American restaurant, maybe I’m the only one but it sets the expectation level right.

We need you to do one on gringo tacos.
then pizza
then burgers.
get to work.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great update!

Glad to hear La Guera is still good. Btw I finally got a chance to check out Barbacoa y Birria Estilo Taxco Guerrero, loved it - terrific consomme as you noted.

1 Like

my rec goes to el taco llama in van nuys for their gringo tacos with al pastor

I vouch for nothing else except these tacos and their beans/chips, with the caveat that occasionally the al pastor is way too greasy. the al pastor is the abodoba style vs trompo style.

1 Like

If you go, you can order their Lamb Barbacoa by the half or full pound (or just tacos).

Make sure you try their Costilla (Ribs) and Maciza (Shoulder & Leg meat) along with the Consommé. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s frustrating the trompo was not up to full speed. I wonder how many tacos would have to be purchased in order to get the trompo fired up. The funny thing is the 2 times I went to Tacos La Guera, Al Pastor was sliced off and slapped on the grill, which led me to the conclusion the place was meh. There have been other places along MLK which sear the cheese. However I’ve not come across this particular dish. I hope these guys make it. Where they are is a little out of sight and out of mind however it’s a nice space. Another thing about that corner is there used to be a guy who would set up a BBQ and made good Jerk Chicken. He was behind the Barber shop across from CVS. I’m not at that corner all that often but I’ll see if he still hangs out there.

i enjoyed the food – and the drinks, could that have something to do with it? – at amor y tacos.
the name of the restaurant or the name of the “type” of food they served didn’t have much to do with it.

aren’t all “mexican” restaurants in this state of california, by definition, “mexican american” restaurants?
just thinking out loud…