A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

I will be heading there soon.

I think of it as the difference between a red sauce italian place like Raoā€™s and a place like Angelini Osteria not saying one is better than the other just slightly different focus.

1 Like

i politely and respectfully disagree with your analogy, but no big whup.

:+1:

Hi @Mattapoisett_in_LA,

Yah, as @Ns1 and a few other FTCā€™ers have pointed out, if you donā€™t see the Trompo out at any of your favorite Al Pastor stands, then just keep driving. :stuck_out_tongue:

I drove by Leoā€™s Tacos once and they didnā€™t have the Trompo out. And hearing you and another person mention La Guera when they didnā€™t have the Trompo out (or not cooking on high heat), you might as well skip it for the night.

Thinking back on when we saw the Trompo at La Guera? One was on a Tues night around 9 p.m. Another was Thurs night. And multiple visits on the weekends around 10 p.m.+ Always had the Trompo out cooking on high heat with lots of people.

Iā€™ll be back to the MLK Tacos Estilo D.F. and hopefully see their Trompo on high heat. We liked their Volcanes a lot. :slight_smile: Thanks again!

2 Likes

Thanks @aaqjr.

Hi @Luluthemagnificent,

Noooo! :sweat_smile: Iā€™ll leave that reporting up to you and the other veteran FTCā€™ers. I think we would die trying to do a round up on those food groups. :stuck_out_tongue:

Why are trompos ever not out? Because they are illegal?

in my effort to remain the biggest jackass extant, i ask:
given that a lot of trompos i see in person and in pictures around these parts use
some sort of weird electric heating element to cook the spinning cone of love, has anyone
ever done a blind tasting of al pastor made this way and al pastor fried on a flat top?

just curious, he brayed.

1 Like

Hi @Aesthete,

No, I think it might be when itā€™s low volume. The amount of Pork on that spit is a hefty portion. If they know itā€™s a slow time of day, and they wonā€™t be able to sell most of the Al Pastor on that Trompo within a reasonable time, then the rest of it would spoil / go to waste.

Just my guess. So they just have some pre-seasoned Pork that the cook on the the flat top instead (or pre-cooked (Iā€™ve seen in some places)).

1 Like

If thatā€™s the case, it represents a real issue huh? If everyone passed by and didnā€™t go unless the trompo was up, the trompo would never go out haha

Good to know though. Thanks.

Hi @linus,

Itā€™s a fair question. I donā€™t know any friends whoā€™ve tried a blind tasting.

To be fair, the heating element on the Trompo isnā€™t just electric heating coils or something, thereā€™s real open flames (the pics Iā€™ve taken might notā€™ve caught the flames properly at that moment).

But I donā€™t think I let that color my impression. If something is delicious itā€™s delicious (of course thatā€™s all subjective, LOL. ;)). Like, when Chef Avner at Cento Pasta told me the pasta they had that day were all dry, pre-packaged pasta (no fresh, handmade pasta), I was still blown away by their Bolognese Pasta (it was really delicious), even if they used mass-produced pasta.

On this latest trip, we had La Guera and Tacos Estilo D.F. back-to-back, within maybe 15 minutes of each other? So the taste was fresh in our minds. I asked each of my friends who went with us what they thought of the two Al Pastor places, and every one of them chose La Guera over Tacos Estilo D.F.

But yah, perhaps it might have the same flavors? Let me know if you try the taste test.

you are right and i am (sometimes) wrong about the heat source of the trompo.
i guess ive seen both. makes sense a flame would add something, even if it was a gas flame.

Trompos are basically vertical broilers so if theyā€™re gas powdered then there will be flames.

1 Like

I used to be surprised by this, too. Thereā€™s a common misconception that dry pasta from a package is inherently inferior to pasta made fresh in the kitchen. But some dishes (e.g., spaghetti carbonara) just work better with dry pasta imo. And because production of dry pasta is pretty tightly regulated, at least in Italy, you can generally be confident of quality and consistency.

5 Likes

yup, i get it.

as usual, great review and pics. having said that, i get a little jaded when things like tacos are too pretty, etc.; personally iā€™m not a huge fan of what iā€™d call theā€¦ bourgeois assimilation of humble dishes of the common people. and with the possible exception of fish/shrimp tacos in baja, i see tacos as being about using cheap/common cuts of meat and stretching them. the skill is in making those cuts palatable if not delicious with appearance being secondary. but that comes from asian cultural background iā€™m sure.

i must have missed the food section of das kapital.

5 Likes

you have your preferences. i have mine. more significantly, you donā€™t seem to have any bashfulness about expressing your opinions. so itā€™s not like you have any moral position to speak from.

tell me more about the morality of tacos,please.

1 Like