A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

Bravo! Really great work.

2 Likes

::shakes head ruefully::

::snort::

1 Like

My abbreviated version of an Al Pastor run to La Guera and Leo’s on Pico. Hands down La Guera was superior to Leo’s a mile down the street.I’ll have to try the other Leo’s location next time. Total damage for 6 tacos and a soda $9.75!!!

La Guera - best not to arrive at 5pm. The Al Pastor still needs some additional time on the spit

Leo’s @ Pico

Wrapped up with dessert @ Grom. I still think it’s one of the best gelatos in LA, deep flavors and a very consistent gooey, silky texture devoid of any ice crystals.

5 Likes

damn that looks like an OG hood kinda place - I assume they only operate during non-enforcement hours?

1 Like

Based on @Chowseeker1999’s intel. 5pm-12am/1am

1 Like

Thanks @Sgee good to hear your thoughts as well. :slight_smile:

I was hesitant and unsure if La Guera was as good as I tasted. But glad you also liked it so much. I liked it more than Leo’s Tacos Al Pastor. We’ll see if they can keep it up in the long run. I’m wishing them well.

Leo’s

3 Likes

Great pic! I’d love to see a greek place with lamb stacked on the trompo instead of that spam-ish stuff.

2 Likes

@wienermobile your al pastor looks so much better than what I was served

I was at Leo’s around 11 PM and it was very very busy and they were cutting the Al Pastor to order right off the roast so could that of made a difference?

was the trompo there when you went?

no trompo = no leo’s

No trompo, did I stumble upon a fake Leo?

you need to go during non-enforcement times, e.g. nights/weekends.

Yeah, got screwed mate, gotta go to LEO’s nights/weekends for the good shit.

1 Like

@Ns1 @Aesthete noted for my next trip to Leo’s

Btw, this La Guera is the stand on Pico and Hobart? This is a branch of the La Guera truck in Huntington Park that is the only place that does legit suadero (brisket) tacos? Do they also serve the legit brisket at Pico Hobart??

Hi @Aesthete,

Yes it’s a taco stand on the corner of Pico & Hobart. I don’t know if they’re related to a Taco Truck. I can ask them the next time I visit.

They do serve a variety of other meats, but we were so focused on the Al Pastor (and the Trompo) that I forgot to try their other tacos LOL. :slight_smile:

If you try it let us know what you think.

I had cause to stop by this place tonight armed with new location knowledge. Rough corner man…eating by coplight as a major arrest happened literally on the opposite corner at the time.

Anyway, pastor was alright, somewhat meh, but not horrible. But the suadero is the legit stuff, the only real brisket tacos in LA are made by these guys.

How funny that ya’ll been going to this place for what seems like second-rate pastor and passing up some of the most rare meat available on the entire LA taco scene =P

MMMM

And they’ll make you burritos here… hmm, brisket burritos could be real good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDpa9J-k0Ih/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

1 Like

Thanks @Aesthete. Nice!

Great Suadero Tacos are definitely not as common. I’ll have to check it out.

The Al Pastor you got, was it off the trompo, or already carved off and set aside? Just curious, because one time we passed by and noticed it was slow and the trompo wasn’t spinning / cooking.

I think just set off to the side, they had some that seemed like it was just off the last of the trompo, but I think they used some stuff set off already. I should’ve just got all suadero. Oh well.

Btw, the suadero is awesome, but could be not everyone’s cup of tea. The texture is sort of chewy/fatty with bits of crisp. It’s not super fragrantly spiced, but just real fatty/beefy in that brisket way. I am addicted to the texture of it personally, but others might not like it as much if expecting like BBQ brisket texture in a taco.

I am super happy to have these more West because they were some of my favorite tacos, but in such an obscure location in Huntington Park. This is so much more accessible…awesomeeeeee

I wonder when they run their pastor trompo though? Weekends only probably?

1 Like