A trivial shipping question

Pardon my ignorance: can a retailer in MA ship wine to a consumer in CA?

It’s not a trivial question at all. I know that a Massachusetts winery can ship directly to a California consumer, because I’ve ordered wines from a winery there before, but I don’t know if a Massachusetts retailer can do so. I would think so, but I am not 100% positive.

In the FWIW mode, California wineries can now ship to Massachusetts consumers, according to the Wine Institute,

The new DTC permit statute became effective on January 1, 2015. Under the new permit law, a winery holding a federal basic permit may obtain a Direct Wine Shipper License and ship up to 12 cases of wine per year to an adult resident of Massachusetts for personal use. The initial license fee is $300, with subsequent renewals costing $150 annually. In addition, direct shippers are required to register with the MA Department of Revenue to pay excise tax. Registration with the Department of Revenue and the filing of tax returns can be completed online using MassTaxConnect. Wineries may NOT engage in any “sales activities” before their license is approved by the ABCC.

Message received from retailer:
“Unfortunately MA State Law does not allow us to ship across State lines.”
So I guess that does it.
Good grief!