I spent the last week of August in London. I had a number of meetings but had chunks of each day and evening free for meals. I ate reasonably well and have been posting reviews of the notable meals slowly on my blog. Though there’s not much London/England action here, I figured these might be of interest to some. Up so far are the following:
- St. John Food and Wine in Spitalfields (the smaller offshoot of the Smithfield institution)
- Trishna in Marylebourne (one of the single Michelin-starred Indians)
- The Clove Club in Shoreditch (very hot; also single Michelin starred)
- Hoppers in Soho (casual Sri Lankan/Tamil)
- Noble Rot in Bloomsbury, roughly (wine bar and restaurant from the proprietors of Noble Rot magazine)
- Hedone in Chiswick (also has one star but the food is a few levels above that at The Clove Club; the best restaurant meal of the year so far)
Still to come: dinner at the St. John mothership and lunch at Dishoom, another trendy Indian place.
The restaurant reviews can all be found here: https://myannoyingopinions.com/england/
For those with an interest in whisky, I also put up a writeup of some whisky stores.