Aburiya Raku - West Hollywood

That is an excellent and very useful comment. So many times the ambience of a place is ignored in reports. It helps to know what kind of experience one might have or expect at a certain restaurant. Formal, casual, fun or focused?

3 Likes

Good point!

Great recs. I’ve only had the cold udon with the foie gras custard. do they do a more traditional udon in broth? what do you think of the sashimi?

1 Like

Thanks! So there is a more traditional udon in broth but it’s off-menu; the noodles themselves aren’t like the typical thick noodles you’d imagine, but rather thinner wheat-based noodles in a hot broth served with the inari and mustard greens (? don’t quote me on this) which I believe are used in a different application, only with a dashi-shoyu-based broth that is out-of-this-world refreshing. As far as I know it was a dish they made for me one time when I went there with a cold and I always ask if it’s available every time I go, and I’d say 4/5 times it’s fine.

Also, disclaimer: Pretty sure I receive favorable treatment not because of my vocation, but simply because I go here so often. I had to itemize my restaurant visits the other day and I’ve probably been to Raku ~16 times in 2017, which works out to a little bit more than once a month.

Re the sashimi: All the fish I’ve had is certainly above a baseline of fresh befitting a decent sushi restaurant, but I can be picky sometimes which types of fish I prefer in this particular application. Sometimes you will receive a whole fish’s spinal column which can then be fried, I believe this was mentioned earlier in this thread. It’s a great appetizer and if your sake selection warrants it, it’s more than up to the task.

One of the reasons why raku has such great sashimi is because of sourcing from guys like this who does his own ikejime.

Here’s a clip from the migrant kitchen which is worth a watch:
https://www.kcet.org/shows/the-migrant-kitchen/what-is-ikejime

aburiya_raku_20180128_113313

aji - spanish mackerel (fukuoka, japan)
Awesome knife work and presentation from chef matt. Let this be a reminder to all fish - stay in schools.
aburiya_raku_20180128_113721

#holeymackerel
aburiya_raku_20180128_114351

aburiya_raku_20180128_114448

grilled yellowtail belly
Damn this was awesome. Crisp skin and tender moist, fatty meat. If you like the salmon belly (@TheCookie) this is another must-order.
aburiya_raku_20180128_113913

aburiya_raku_20180128_114114

fresh alaskan king crab
This was like crab candy, the meat was so sweet. The pieces of meat that touched the grilled also had a great smoky flavor.
aburiya_raku_20180128_114212

ushio jiru
White fish and tofu in a light delicate broth.
aburiya_raku_20180128_114559

aburiya_raku_20180128_114657

asajime chicken thigh
aburiya_raku_20180128_114809

asajime chicken teba wing
aburiya_raku_20180128_114916

kurobuta pork cheek
aburiya_raku_20180128_115029

portabella stuffed with asajime ground chicken
aburiya_raku_20180128_115123

aburiya_raku_20180128_115219

takana inari
dammit @Chowseeker1999, i wish i took your rec for this sooner. This was great, soft, slightly sweet and pickle-y.
aburiya_raku_20180128_115428

aburiya_raku_20180128_115521

miso yaki onigiri
aburiya_raku_20180128_115624

yaki onigiri
20180128_115710

homemade mandarin orange sorbet
aburiya_raku_20180128_115323

Toto
aburiya_raku_20180127_181539

13 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

So glad you liked the Takana Inari! :grin: Delicious, right? So much better than the usual Inari / “football” shaped item that’s usually throwaway.

That is some beautiful Aji (and a lot of it)! :slight_smile: Raku’s Sashimi is ridiculous.

Thanks for the video on ikejime. Thinking about that (and how few places in the U.S. do that), it’s even crazier than a restaurant like Saison just does it in-house for each live fish for the tasting menu.

1 Like

Thanks @PorkyBelly.

The Grilled Yellowtail Belly was a welcome site after the head, fins and I don’t know what of the #holeymackerel. Next time I will refrain from ordering an add’l Salmon Belly and get the YTB.

Thanks for sharing the secret of Raku’s Sashimi excellence, ikejime, aka fish torture. Before I devour my next order I will say a prayer of thanks to the fish.

But seriously, excellent report.

1 Like

I finally made it out!

6 Likes

Forgot this baby, the ground chicken skewer

3 Likes

but is it torture if they can’t feel it? just sayin

3 Likes

nice looks like you got the bento plus some supplements. how was it?

Loved the sashimi, sea bass, bacon wrapped tomatoes, ground chicken skewer, and the foie gras skewer. The dessert was also very nice. Next time I’ll get more from the grill! They did not have the beef tendon available on my visit. I’m not the biggest tofu fan but it was enjoyable to try this signature dish, very unique texture. Service was great!

2 Likes

LED ambient lighting??? I must go to there (again).

1 Like

I thought the technique might eliminate feeling, then saw the fins flare :worried:. Thanks for alleviating my guilt.

Animals can be braindead but still have some nervous system firings for a little while. It’s not a reaction of pain because it literally happens at the instant when you destroy the brain – fish generally give a good hard twitch or two at that point – but stab them anywhere else and you don’t get that twitchy, fin-flarey reaction. That type of thing indicates a braindead fish.

3 Likes

It’s probably better than them flopping around in a bucket gasping for air. And certainly more fresh & delicious for us.

Would that we could so easily distinguish braindead chefs.

1 Like

Thanks for the levity. I thought @PorkyBelly’s posts about ikejime and Raku were very cool. Trying to make a joke I turned it into a morbid convo. :relaxed:

2 Likes

I cant wait for Raku to start serving ortolan.

3 Likes

Awesome