Acquired any new cookbooks lately?

I really love “Into the Vietnamese Kitchen.”

2 Likes

Oh I will… :wink:

Happy to have you.

1 Like

Got these from https://www.copperfieldsbooks.com/ since Husband detests Amazon.

So far, I’m enjoying INGREDIENT. Husband heard him on the radio.

Now that I think about it, it’s not a cookbook, nor I think is ON FOOD AND COOKING. Husband wanted that one.

Also planning my next trip, I hope.

2 Likes

LOVE Barcelona!

1 Like

No new acquisitions but I finally opened two that have been sitting around as new for some time -
Jerusalem (Ottolenghi / Tamimi) and Camino (Moore / Hopelain) and then, along with an old old cookbook, and a Joyce Goldstein hummus recipe, got some inspiration last weekend. Third lamb meal in 4 days … but no two have been exactly the same (although the eggplant salad and other sauces haven’t changed much …)

1 Like

That’s funny. Before even reading your note I was thinking I want INGREDIENT.

I think books about food are acceptable on this cookbook thread. You can see it is not blazing a trail thru FTC. We have a long way to go before becoming like the lovable, crazy cookbookers on Chowhound.

1 Like

They now have direct flights on Norwegian air!

From where?

1 Like

Opps, sorry, being Los Angeles-centric. From LAX. This last trip, since husband had conference in Nice, I looked at flights from LAX direct to Barcelona, and when I bought the tickets, there were no airlines flying there directly, which is why we went to Paris.

1 Like

A friend gave me KACHKA, a wonderful cookbook containing recipes from most of the former Soviet Union. The co-author is Bonnie Morales, a Portland chef in the eponymous restaurant. Kachka means duck in Ukrainian; there are no duck recipes in the book, but the reason the restaurant and the book are so named is explained in the fascinating forward to the book. Everything I have tried has turned out beautifully, and my Russian friends tell me it is very authentic. It won the 2018 Piglet contest on Food 52 for the best new cookbook. Highly recommended especially for @Nemroz.

1 Like

Thanks very much. Always down to find old dishes that none of us make.

very curious that the place uses a Ukranian word but is advertised as Russian food (at least from first glance at the cookbook). Duck in Russian is Utka

Okay I will give you the spoiler. The chef and co-author’s grandmother was a Belorusian Jew. In 1941, while pregnant, she escaped from Bobr. She spent two months trudging through Belarus, lost the baby, and then was stopped by a nazi appointed town warden. She claimed to be a Ukrainian traveling home. He didn’t believe her and asked her the Ukrainian word for duck. She responded with the Yiddish/Belorusian word “kachka”. It worked. As she was the inspiration for the chef to take up cooking both the book and her restaurant are named kachka. The story reads much better in the book.

6 Likes

fascinating!

My most recent purchase “Kulit Manis - A Taste of Terengganu’s Heritage”; focuses on Malaysian regional cuisine from the northeastern state of Terengganu.

5 Likes

Is there a reason you’re attracted to that cuisine?

The book won World’s Best Local Cuisine Book during the 2010 Gourmand World Cookbook Awards. Just thought it looked interesting, picked it up during my travels.

Update us when you cook from it. I googled it and it looks interesting although I’m clueless about the even the Malaysian cuisine :slight_smile: Another google opportunity!

Yes, unfortunately cuisine from the majority Muslim “Malay” ethnic group is very rarely (almost never) found in Malaysian restaurants abroad. The only place I’m aware of in the US that serves anything similar is Sate Kampar in Philadelphia - in the form of daily specials.

Here are some examples of Terengganu regional fare

2 Likes