Acquired any new cookbooks lately?

I WANT BLUE RICE!!! That’s all looks wonderful! Thanks, s.

1 Like

Color comes from Butterfly pea flower

1 Like

That’s insanely wonderful! Blue rice. How fantastic.

Thanks for reviving this thread!

Not nearly as cultured as your recent reading, but I’ve been getting some pretty solid stuff out of the Healthyish cookbook: https://www.amazon.com/Healthyish-Seriously-Satisfying-Good-You/dp/1419726560

It has a good range for peep with different dietary tracks.

I also found a lot of worth in reading through Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat recently: https://www.amazon.com/Salt-Fat-Acid-Heat-Mastering/dp/1476753830

Really helped put a lot of theory in a clear, practical way. So well that even a bunk homecook like me can understand.

P.S. Anyone else renting cookbooks from the library? It’s pretty legit. I would love to hoard them all, but cost and space saving-wise, I would highly recommend using and abusing your local library for cookbooks.

3 Likes

Our libraries are poor and non-fiction gets short shrift. I purged some cookbooks a few months ago and donated to the library. They were ecstatic.

try using purple cabbage–it would be much, much, cheaper. boil a few leaves, discard, then only use the water. use that for anything you want blue. anything you want pink for the gram (aka unicorn) hit with some acid.

3 Likes

I use the Libby iPhone app to read ebooks from the LAPL. It’s super convenient and saves space. All you need is your library card. Currently reading the Guerrilla Tacos cookbook and I’m on the waiting lists for Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat and BraveTart.

5 Likes

wow, great suggestion! just downloaded. you can also login to multiple libaries and access different collections. Just borrowed bravetart and gjlina.

4 Likes

Yup! I forgot to mention that. :sweat_smile:

I’m really liking Samin Nosrat’s Netflix show.

2 Likes

Do you cook recipes read from your iPhone?

A very good amateur cook has recommended Dorie Greenspan’s newest, Everyday Dorie The Way I cook.

https://doriegreenspan.com/book/coming-soon-everyday-dorie-the-way-i-cook/

Such a great show. She’s a joy. And for me personally, it’s really refreshing to see a fellow brown woman host a show like that.

Sometimes. Mostly it’s because I have this weird thing where I like to read cookbooks in bed before I fall asleep. :grin:

6 Likes

Not in bed but otherwise.

Hi @thechez5 -

Ditto

You’re not alone. My cookbooks start out on a kitchen shelf and end up stacked on my bedside table. We’re not alone! I took a Thomas Keller Ad Hoc cooking class at Sur la Table (yes, that’s a FTC confession :relaxed:) and the instructor said she keeps her cookbooks on her bedside table.

:woman_cook:t5: :open_book:

3 Likes

I haven’t since the internet. I have lots of cookbooks . But for a reference or idea for a recipe now . I am a slave to the internet.

1 Like

I have three cookbooks next to my bed currently. :grin:

2 Likes

I purchased the English version (as opposed to the American version) of Simple by Ottolenghi. I’ve made three recipes and they were all delicious.

1 Like

I assume the English version is in metric measurements? Do you live where that’s the norm? I use metric for a few things (I rarely bake).

I live in Los Angeles, CA where metric is not the norm. I bake pretty much daily. I always use metric weights for cooking and baking. Initially this was the reason I purchased the British versions of Ottolenghi’s books. He now includes metric weights in the American versions because many American cooks are switching from volume to weight. I prefer metric weight. There are 28+ gram in an ounce so metric is more precise.

Putting aside weighing vs. measuring; I’ve had better success with the British versions of his cookbooks. I don’t think the ingredient substitutions in the American version work as well as the ingredients in the British version. The American versions substitute light corn syrup for Lyle’s Golden syrup. Lyle’s Golden syrup adds a rich, wonderful flavor to dishes. corn syrup is just sweet with no flavor. Brown sugar is substituted for muscovado sugar. Muscovado sugar is way more flavorful.

For anyone interested in buying the British versions, I recommend Book Depository. They offer free shipping worldwide.

https://www.bookdepository.com/

3 Likes