Acquired any new cookbooks lately?

you can get an epub version. i know as i have one.

i recently picked up joe beef’s sequel, which is as much expository on philosophy as it is a cookbook. this all ties together as the first joe beef cookbook had the big mac theory of taste equilibrium being a balance of sweet/salt/fat/acid/bite which was expanded upon by nosrat’s S.F.A.H.

have you read fuchsia dunlop’s Every Grain Of Rice? if not, you might like that.

2 Likes

I have “Land of Plenty” but not this one. I will check it out.
Thanks for the tip!

i have that as well; IIRC it concentrates on jiangnan cuisine whereas the other work is a bit more fundamental and spends more time on the philosophy that encompasses the culture overall - it’s not about the measurements per se as much as it is about balance - in between seasons as well as other ingredients or dishes. to be fair, the regional recipes do favor the southern regions of china.

i love the idea of using a szechuan cold chicken sauce on leftover thanksgiving turkey.

1 Like

Another great resource is “Cooking South of the Clouds”. I would have bought it just for the pictures! Yunnan is definitely on my bucket list. I love this YouTube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQG_fzADCunBTV1KwjkfAQQ.
Highly recommend this site for ingredients and recipes, https://themalamarket.com/ if you don’t already know about it.

I was looking for a 40-year-old recipe for baked onions from Chez Panisse (which I have not been able to find) and this turned up.

1 Like

Robert…I have the Chez Panisse Vegetables cookbook. Would you like me to check and see if there is a recipe for baked onions in it?

1 Like

I didn’t find the recipe in any of the CP books. We probably saw it in the SF Chronicle before the first one came out in 1982. Or somebody at the restaurant just told us. It was similar to this except I’m pretty sure lower temperature for more like an hour.

My sister gave me this one. Great cookbook.

1 Like

I often look at the Chez Panisse Vegetables and Fruit books for inspiration when something came in the CSA box and there’s nothing in particular I want to do with it.

2 Likes

My daughter introduced me to a lovely new cookbook, “Cook Real Hawaii”,

The author, Sheldon Simeon, has twice been a contestant on "Top Chef, and operates a restaurant in Maui, Tin Roof.
The style is personable and conversational. I was charmed by many of his suggestions such as using garlic salt, dashi powder and store bought furikake (he includes a recipe for fuikake, but only if you can’t find it in the store). As I am something of a fanatic snob about making everything myself I found his approach refreshing.
The three meals I have made from the book have all turned out beautifully.
First was Huli-huli chicken with sweet onion kale salad, and macaroni salad.

Next I did crispy sablefish with garlic noodles and bok choy.

Last night I made Mochiko chicken.

My one criticism of the recipes has more to do with my haole upbringing than Mr. Simeon’s recipes; like many Asian cuisines his Hawaiian fusion style is a bit sweet for my tastes. Out of respect for the chef I always make a recipe the way it is written the first time I try it. With recipes from this book I will be cutting back on the sweetness for my second efforts.
Highly recommend the book. I have already sent it to several friends and family.

7 Likes

He hops on IG once a week and does a cooking show with other Too Chef alums. I’ve not had a chance to watch a full show, but the clips look charming.

3 Likes

Lol if it wasn’t for food content i wouldn’t have Instagram! A lot of good stuff

2 Likes

While I am not quite a luddite I haven’t joined any social media sites yet. It reminds me of the CB radio craze of the '70s. Many people talking with very little to say - only social media appears to have a nastier element.
Although both you and @attran99 have my deepest respect and if you find it worthwhile I may reconsider.
At any rate its a good cookbook and I am enjoying working from it.
We hope to go back to Maui in September ((God willing and the delta strain don’t rise (and the rental car problem is resolved)). In the meantime I sneak a peek at this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYO8GaRDv_g every so often.

1 Like

I think you mostly have to be choosy about who you follow. I think the french magazine Le Fooding is a great follow with a lot of videos. Andy Dubrava EC of Rustic Canyon is always doing creative stuff that’s fun to check out.

A lot of under worked Chefs were posting recipes during the pandemic that I have tons of screen shots of. Less so now but it’s a fun way to ‘travel’ by following a lot of Spanish and French Chefs -it’s fun for me to see what flavor combinations are popular

3 Likes

Thank you! Good advice. I have been watching a lot of YouTube - mostly Chinese and Vietnamese chefs. Have learned so much. One thing to read Andrea Nguyen on making XLBs and other dumplings, and another to watch her.
Hope we get together again soon!

1 Like