Alex, I'll take, "Name That LA Blogger" for $400

@kevin: Nah, your Mori review reads like it was well-written and thoughtful. There’s a difference.

Now if you start shoveling in words like “mastication” and how the uni is “sea urchin forward with globules of gelatinous gallinaceous gemmiferous gefilte fish” or some such absurdity, THEN, we can say it was “pretentious.” :stuck_out_tongue: LOL

2 Likes

You forgot to include a description of the veritable cornucopia of near-terpsichorean sensations upon deglutition of said victuals.

2 Likes

It’s banter like this which gives me such a feeling of gemütlichkeit when I visit this board.

1 Like

“Veritable cornucopia” I have heard someone say…

“Terpsichorean” / “deglutition” I have not.

And it’s only a matter of time before somewhere in greater Los Angeles or SF Bay Area opens a New American small-plates place simply named “VICTUALS” with a just bitchin’ cocktail program and trendy shareables just ready for hashtagging.

Ok now I’m really out.

1 Like

If kevinEats disappeared, I would be :sob:.

I don’t read him because he’ll be up for a Pulitzer. Don’t even find him arrogant. His posts give me a good idea of what to expect before I fork out the dough in LA and in other cities. He takes it for the team first and I appreciate that.

I hate this thread.

5 Likes

one of the “greatest” cooking shows of all time featured a host
who spoke like this.
‘the gourmet,’ starring david wade. wore an ascot. genius.

Me too. Don’t stop.

Agree

1 Like

Disagree

1 Like

Is he the one who posts pictures of expensive bottles of wine he and his friends take to dimsum?

1 Like

Different guy, you’re thinking of Andy Gavin or Porthos

Made me look: kevinEats: China Red (Arcadia, CA)

The riesling was a “robust shade of yellow”.

1 Like

Reminds me of my last physical.

4 Likes

well, this kevin talks about things that a ruby hewed.

Haha I remember him when his reviews were on myspace…

Some of his writing style reminds me of the commentary from those dubbed Food Network Iron Chef episodes (not the William Shatner hosted ones).

Not sure how one could refute how I feel about many posts in this thread. I really DO hate this thread. It’s disappointing and unsupportive of someone who provides a service to us. If I was kevineats, I’d be bummed to read this.

What may have started out in jest has, in some cases, become mean-spirited character assassination of what appears to be a decent human being mostly under the shroud of cowardly anonymity.

“Arrogant”? “Pretentious”? “Where does he get his $$$”? Try Jealousy, Envy, and Contempt. What the hell is wrong with you people? Don’t see you cowards posting your critiques of his reviews in his comments sections.

Was hoping we could be a better community than the CH we left behind.

8 Likes

I hear you. I suspect anyone who claims - proudly - to have the most reviled food blog probably has thicker skin than you surmise. Doubt he cares too much what a bunch of petty, knuckleheads (and I include myself) write here; he probably relishes the attention-forward spotlighting.

As the OP my primary intent was humor - some of his writing is absolutely hilarious. Also, I admit - because I love reading his blog for many of the reasons above - I hoped he would read this and modify his prose - everyone grows up and his writing could use a bit more thought than he puts into it, IMHO. I think his blog is fun, and unique, and agree he seems like a cool cat. His determination to hit new (and old) spots and his beer knowledge are unparalleled; his writing though is, often, unpardonable.

2 Likes

The thing is this: I think kevineats is having way too much fun living his life and doing his own thing to care what we think… Which is how it should be. :smile:

1 Like

Good points from paranoid, and caio bob.

@revets2

There are 2 sides to every coin. KevinEats absolutely cashes in on his blogger status, partaking in Free Meals / Comped “Press Only” Events, and freely takes in the extra special service / attention when he dines out (he’s mentioned in passing some of these things, and I have friends of friends who know him).

As others have said, he’s living it up and enjoying his time; and I’m glad for him. :smile:

I’m only giving feedback to what he writes. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion? I’m glad he enjoys writing by inserting in every obscure Thesaurus reference he can find, but some might find that off-putting. Is that wrong to feel that way? Do we have no right to speak our own mind?

It absolutely does come off as pretentious or just silly the way he writes. If you enjoy it, more power to you.

Like @CiaoBob said, I also posted here just to offer feedback (not malicious), and in the hopes that he might graduate to better writing.

Just my opinion. Thanks.

1 Like