Alex, I'll take, "Name That LA Blogger" for $400

I recall something similar - but they (they = the CH staff) seemed to have no issue with the person on the Las Vegas board who constantly posted links to his (I think it’s a man) blog. Maybe the latter was a result of them loosing the rules at some point?

I believe his name is Mike, and goes by the handle “uhockey” on CH. IIRC, he was initially reproducing his blog posts on CH, and was then told that he could post a link to it, but couldn’t post the entry. It’s not just about Las Vegas, although that’s where he now lives, but about all of his travels – and I find that I agree with him far more than I disagree. His blog is at http://endoedibles.com

1 Like

Yes, thank you, that’s who I was thinking about. His blog is fascinating reading - we don’t have much overlap in terms of restaurant interests, but I enjoy his photos and descriptions.

I think you’re right: he was posting the full blog posts, then those stopped, and then it was down to a line or two (sometimes just the title of the blog post) and the link.

Great thread, which I was late to find and read.

I have both kevineats and endoedibles bookmarked, and I read them regularly. With the length and longevity of this thread, obviously many of us on this board do or have read kevineats; my brother, who lives in Austin but regularly visits L.A., also follows his blog. We have admired his prodigious appetites, for both food and spirits.

I respect both kevin of kevineats and michael of endoedibles for their longstanding dedication to finding, exploring, photographing, and critiquing so many restaurants for so many years. If their discipline has cultivated enough readers and publicity for them to garner occasional invites to events or comps, more power to them. (I may be naive but in my reading each usually mentions when they have received favors.)

I have over 40 blogs, publications, and other food-related sites bookmarked so I regularly follow them – kevineats and endoedibles are two of my very favorites. I wish them well and would miss them if they stopped.

7 Likes

And there we go.

Case fucking closed.

Even though I’ve nary read their prose both might just have to offer something of a meritorious value.

i’m open to that interpretation because the line was describing something served to him at sugarfish.

From ke’s Garlic & Chives review - not sure what he means by crunchiness as these look like soft noodles. I suspect that is how he approximates al’dente.

Pho Ap Chao Chien Gion Dac Biet Thap Cam - Combination Gourmet Pan-Fried Noodles [$8.00] | Fresh noodles slowly pan fried and topped with jumbo shrimp, beef, chicken, vegetables, and hearty sauce
The noodles were a surprise hit. Big fan of the rich, savory, classically-leaning gravy here, but the key were those rice noodles, thick, substantial examples that showed off a perfect amount of crunchiness. This came recommended by our server, and she was right on.

In some preparations of pho ap chao (with the small rice noodles) the pho noodles are pan fried until a crunchy/chewy texture.

In fact, the translation of “Pho Ap Chao Chien Gion” is basically “pho wok fried crunchy”

1 Like

Having eaten adjacent to him at some restaurant openings, he gives up a pretty wealthy vibe.

I would guess he comes from wealth from the way he conducts himself, and how he dresses. No offense intended to him, just a social observation.

Either that or he is in finance, or works in tech at a high level; he’s pretty old, so I guess he could just be a high-level executive somewhere, or, obviously he could be an independent business owner of some type.

You have your 40 list available? That is quite a few…holy cow. All LA-specific?

Since people talking so much about the pretenses of bloggers… does anyone here follow http://www.3stardining.com/ ?

I don’t think there is a blogger out there with higher standards. Benu in SF has been cut by this guy for being pointless…

His evisceration of Son of a Gun is incredible though.

It’s pretty interesting to see someone who genuinely seems to hate places that are beyond beloved, such as Animal, and State Bird Provisions.

Curiously though, given his seemingly super high-end tastes, he loves Angelini Osteria though, and finds it to be one of the best restaurants in the world.

IIRC he was a former IB and is now an engineer of some sorts.

How do you define old - he is about 30-35

2 Likes

Shit - he’s ancient.

Holy shit really? How do you know? He look way older in person…like 45-50.

I know a few people who are good friends with him

Some of us wouldn’t consider 45-50 “pretty old,” BTW…

4 Likes

right. cuz, that’s “ancient”.

5 Likes

Well, for a food blogger I guess? idk they all usually seem to be really young for some reason.

Being adept enough w/ technology to enable one to make regular and frequent posts usually does favor the “young…”