All About Campfire Cooking

I just did a quick search for campfire/camp cooking and did not find anything.

Maybe this would be better posted at the beginning of summer, but I am headed on a camping trip this weekend and would like to eat well!

Let’s do this!

• What are your go-to campfire meals & recipes? Photos please!
  • What are your must-have campfire cooking tools? What do you use them for?

First off a shovel to move the coals around , also a 5 gallon bucket to fill with water to put the fire out , can also be used to wash pots or dishes. Bring some big garbage bags for trash . My go to is chicken thighs and drumsticks. Low and slow .

Went camping for the first time a few weeks ago in Big Bear. A very popular option was a pot to boil water and instant ramen. Kids and adults alike are lots of ramen that weekend.

I didn’t really know what to expect but the next time I go camping I’m going to bring potatoes wrapped in foil for baked potatoes and pre-cooked chili that can easily reheat on the fire. If your campsite has a fire pit with a big grate over it you can grill proteins over the grate but the gaps are pretty big. If I’m feeling adventurous I might bring my own grate and cook burgers or steak.

Here’s a link:

One of our daughters and her family go “off the grid” for a week or more. I’ll have to ask her what they do.

Campfire cooking can be a participation thing.

Maybe a stew reheated, with a salad, bread.

Hash; based on: roast beef,or corned beef, or sausage.

Jiffy Pop

Soomores (sp?)

Cast iron cookware.

S’mores. Short for “some more,” as in “I want some more,” if my looooong ago Girl Scout troop leader is a credible source.

Yep.

https://headsup.boyslife.org/whats-history-smores/

It seems they were or are somewhat trendy, with some restaurants have the setup for dessert.

Two short but fun videos about Francis Mallmann that make me want to learn more about outdoor fire:

Seven Fires with Francis Mallmann
How to Make the Best Breakfast with Ed Lee and Francis Mallmann

Steaks, lunch meats/cheese, ramen, Dinty Moore beef stew, hot dogs, bags of salad/salad dressings. Just a small sample.

A shelf stable necessity, SPAM!!!

Spam/eggs/toast. And A 12 oz Bud. Breakfast of Champions!!!

Pan fried T-bone and canned corn by campfire light.

Chinese camping. Fresh cooked rice with canned fried dace w/black beans by Coleman lantern light.

A percolater!

Spam - YES!!!

I’d go for cold brew aka Toddy. We travel with it all the time and have for over 30 years.

https://toddycafe.com/

FWIW, my checklist for a fishing/camping trip to Clear Lake, CA.

Our lakeside lodge with a view:

Designated pantry area:

Professional chef’s kitchen: :slight_smile:

Library study with fireplace:

Working hard for dinner:

Fish. It’s what’s for dinner:

I thought that trend was dead, but nope:

Granted, some of that list is s’mores-style something else, but still.

I think you and my dad would’ve gotten along great. You remembered the duct tape. :slight_smile:

I’m so UN-trendy that I didn’t want to guess :smile:

I’m going to copy that list and show to our daughter…the one who ‘camps’ in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge, not the one who goes off the grid LOL!

Who knew you were the camping Doppelgänger of @chandavkl

Menu varies with locale. It’s different for backpacking vs.car camping; somewhere with a pit vs. building up a pile of rocks.

I like to fish, so trout is first and foremost. This summer I field tested a shichimi togarishi for seasoning. First trip, I only used blood orange zest and the second a blend of orange, lemon and a dash of lime zest. Blood orange for the win. Heaping portions of black sesame and poppy seeds to make it super crunchy and a basic ichimi togarishi to make sure it felt familiar, ginger, sichuan peppercorn, nori. This was for backpacking so sometimes there would be a ‘donated’ grill and sometimes there wouldn’t. Didn’t matter as trout were wrapped in tinfoil after being dressed. Could throw them right in the coals.

If you’ve got the patience, trip-tip is nice for a big group. Santa Maria style. Par-smoking low and slow for an hour or two usually nets a pretty good result.

Leg of lamb is pretty forgiving over fire. Nice with a jerk rub.

Never underestimate the delicious utility of a hot dog.

I’m so going to send the trout thing to our daughter. Sounds terrific although not sure the 2 and 6 y.o.'s will eat it. Pre-kiddos their backpacking usually including some climbing also but nowadays it’s mostly just backpacking with some canoeing etc. thrown in for good measure. Thanks a lot.