Amazing Salmon Belly, Oil-Cured Sardines, Lox, Herring and Rockin' Breakfast! - Gjusta

A Thing of Utter Beauty

5 Likes

Gorgeous pics and report. :slight_smile:

Love persimmons as well! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Tuna Conserva is different from every other tuna sandwich I’ve ever had. The focus on the pop of the tomatoes and zip of the olives with the crunch of the sprouts and the char and chew of the grilled bread all juxtaposed with an immensely luscious tuna that is more mellow and meaty than tuna usually seems to be in sandwiches produces a glorious sensation.

3 Likes

Glad you got to try the Tuna Conserva. One of my favorite sandwiches at Gjusta! :slight_smile:

Someone really wanted me to because they sold out of the Italian yesterday which is what I originally went for haha

But yeah, it’s a great sandwich; though I have Coe to expect nothing less of Gjusta sandwiches.

Update 12:

Rotating Market Salad: Watercress, Mustard Greens, Hemp Seed Dressing:

Wonderfully refreshing, the Watercress adds that unmistakable Spring-like vegetal note, with the Mustard Greens giving it just a touch of bitterness. :slight_smile:

French Onion Soup:

With the cooler weather, it’s great to see Gjusta expanding their Housemade Soup options. Their French Onion Soup uses a made-from-scratch Beef Bone Broth. Soft, melted-down Onions adds to the fragrant richness. The Gruyere is wonderfully melted and gooey / stretchy atop Housemade Bread. Nice and warming during these chilly days.

Smoked Fish Plate (S):

Smoked Whitefish:

This was great: Deeply smoky, flaky, tender Whitefish. Not too salty, and the smokiest of all the fish we tried today. Went fantastic with their Housemade Country Sourdough, and a bit of their pickled selection:

Gjusta had some great Pickled Sea Beans as part of the complimentary Pickled accompaniments to the Fish Plate:

Oil-Cured Sardines:

Meaty, wonderfully briny, little slivers of deliciousness! I love their Oil-Cured Sardines. :slight_smile:

Cold-Smoked Kanpachi:

It’s back! Gjusta’s amazing Cold-Smoked Kanpachi appeared again in the Smoked Seafood selection this week. Delicate, wonderfully supple Kanpachi, with this kiss of smokiness. Add a bit of the Pickled Red Onions and a nibble of their Toasted Housemade Country Sourdough and you have perfection! :blush:

Paging @PorkyBelly @MaladyNelson @bulavinaka @Bookwich @A5KOBE and the rest of the FTC Gjusta Club. :smile:

Italian Sandwich (Ciabatta, Sopressa, Mortadella, Ham, Chopped Escarole, Tomato, Pickled Peppers, Fontina, Aioli, Red Wine Vinegar):

With the recent sampling of other sandwiches, we had to try Gjusta’s Italian Sandwich again. It is as fantastic as it was the first time we had (when they just added it to the menu).

Their Housemade Mortadella and Ham are outstanding, not too salty, meaty, and then you get a bit of the Chopped Escarole, Pickled Peppers and Red Wine Vinegar. The Housemade Aioli and the Fontina add some creaminess and then you get their awesome fresh-baked Ciabatta Bread (made fresh, in-house daily): It’s got the toasted crunch, pillowy soft interior.

This is such a great Italian Sandwich! :heart:

We left saddened that we had no room for the amazing Carrot Cake. :cry: :smile:

Gjusta
320 Sunset Ave.
Venice, CA 90291
Tel: (310) 314-0320

9 Likes

They didn’t even have carrot cake today. WTF???

Hi @A5KOBE,

Boo. Although, sometimes they might not have had it ready yet. There was one time last month when we went that they didn’t have the Carrot Cake (nor the Pumpernickel Fudge Brownies). As we were walking out (after eating), I noticed them bringing out the Carrot Cake. :cry: They were late that day. :slight_smile:

The pastrami reuben was pretty tasty, and also got the prime fuckin reeeeb. This beet and smoked whatever greens/cabbage/treviso??? salad was quite tasty.

4 Likes

So good! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gjusta Gjusta Gjusta

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for sharing your feast with us, @Chowseeker1999! I really need to get that smoked fish plate, like, NOW!

1 Like

Whiling away the time on a beautiful, spring afternoon at Gjusta. There were humming birds and blooming flowers and little trees bedecked with ripe kumquats.

Pozole

The hominy was a bit chewy, and there was too much napa, but my god, they make an excellent broth.

I made a friend.

7 Likes

Hi @Bookwich,

What?! Did I miss our FTC Gjusta Club Weekly Luncheon?! Darn it. :stuck_out_tongue: :smile:

Nice pics. :slight_smile: I need to try the Pozole on the next visit… if I can resist their Smoked Seafood Case… and their Carrot Cake… and their Sandwiches. :wink:

2 Likes

I got a carrot cake to go, and a baguette, and a brisket plate for the child’s dinner.

5 Likes

Beautiful photos! :heart_eyes:

Do you think the Italian sandwich would travel well, as a takeaway, or does it need to be eaten right away? It looks pretty sturdy…

Hi @SpoonLicker,

Thanks. :slight_smile: Yes, as @A5KOBE and others have tried, their Italian does travel pretty well. The flavors deepen.

I do think you should enjoy half of it right there immediately to see how fantastic it is fresh, and then take the other half to go. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you – I like your plan! I’ll do some field testing: half sandwich eaten on the spot (gotta enjoy the scene there, right?), the other half eaten at the beach. All in the interest of science, of course.

3 Likes

Confirmed: Italian sandwich travels with aplomb.

I went out for a little afternoon snack, and came back with a feast:

(Sorry for the fuzzy photo – I was too impatient to hold the camera steady!)

Other half of the sandwich was still really great 5 hours later.

I didn’t really care for the pastry (something-or-other brest)…the schmear was super-duper-sweet – too much so for my palate. But for someone with more of a sweet tooth, it would probably be lovely.

The preserve that came with the biscuit was amazing; the tangerine shrub was refreshing with a nice “nip” to it.

I think late afternoon will be my witching hour a Gjusta…the vibe is more low key, and the service was really lovely and a little relaxed and goofy around the edges (my favorite kind of service).

6 Likes

Hi @SpoonLicker,

Nice! :slight_smile: Love that Italian Sandwich at Gjusta. So glad you enjoyed it as well. I’m now craving one, darn you. :cry: :smile:

Have you tried their Smoked Seafood selections yet? Also worth checking out (Salmon Belly, Hamachi, Kanpachi, Trout, Sardines, Lox, Gravlax, etc.). :slight_smile: