Amazing Salmon Belly, Oil-Cured Sardines, Lox, Herring and Rockin' Breakfast! - Gjusta

Gjusta-level posting, Sir Legg of the Hollow! Kohl’s has stretchy pants on sale in their maternity dept - just sayin’… :wink:

Thanks @President_Mochi.

I’ll be ordering their waffles again for sure. :slight_smile: I’ll have to add their fruit next time. Thanks.

Hi @Bigmouth,

You liked the same things. :slight_smile: Their Rotisserie Chicken is definitely worth trying.

Thanks so much for tagging me in your post, @Chowseeker1999! You are a treasure trove of information! Oh that veggie sandwich is in my wheelhouse for sure! It’s always a relief to find a vegetarian sandwich on a menu. But more often than not, it’s nothing more than a glorified cheese sandwich - or worse, it’s just a burger without the patty. From your gorgeous pics, you can tell that Gjusta makes their veggie sandwich with the utmost care. And damn, that summer squash and roasted broccolini salad, sparkling ginger lemonade, falafel sandwich, and pumpernickel fudge brownie are all calling my name. My tombstone is now going to say, “Heeded the siren call of Gjusta’s vegetarian options.”

2 Likes

Thanks @bulavinaka. Besides their Nori Loaf, any other whole loaves of Bread you’d recommend for home consumption? And thank you for the great Falafel rec! :slight_smile:

Hi @MaladyNelson,

I think you’d really enjoy it. I am thinking about their Veggie Sandwich right now, so plainly named, yet so amazing in taste! :slight_smile:

I forgot, but do you also eat fish / seafood? If so, don’t miss out on their Smoked Fish selection.

(Oh and their Carrot Cake is so good! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anyone tried their chili hummus? Shit is like crack.

Hi @A5KOBE,

What? They have Chili Hummus? Where is it on the menu LOL? :slight_smile: I must’ve missed it.

I don’t know if you’ve looked in the refrigerated case opposite the counter and registers - there’s a lot of sauces and condiments in there - something for everybody.

Many of these items are either used in their dishes, or can be found in the counter’s cases roughly between the baked goods and the charcuterie and cheeses.

2 Likes

What @bulavinaka said. That chili hummus is located in the refrigeration unit near the ticket dispenser thingy. It is quite good with just some carrot or celery sticks. Brought to a work party and did the ole switcheroo with the containers. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Lots of great stuff in the refrigerated case. I love all the interesting pickled and fermented vegetables. There are also some really nice non-refrigerated items on the shelves that make nice host/ess gifts (or gifts to one’s self) - granola, rosemary marcona almonds, candied walnuts.

2 Likes

3 Likes

like those jars so much I bought a bunch at Crate and Barrel!

Hi @bulavinaka and all,

Ah! I remember the regular shelves with roasted almonds, etc. I must’ve dpaced out on the refrigerated section… Too distracted by the beautiful salads and smoked seafood on display. :wink:

Will have to check it out next time.

1 Like

You guys have to stop posting these pictures. It’s a very far and long drive from the OC to Gjusta.

I finally had a chance to revisit Gjusta and split the falafel and prime rib sandwich. Two fantastically delicious sandwiches. Bread on both sandwiches is as good as it gets. The prime rib with horse radish was fantastic. Every element was great - meat, horse radish, bread, au jus, etc… and perfect when combined. The falafel sandwich was excellent but not as good as the prime rib. The freshness of all the vegetables was a great compliment to the crispy falafel and delicious toasty sesame bread.

I would have tried the carrot cake, brownie and miso cookie but couldn’t because Salt n Straw is too close by.

Not much else to be said other than I wish it was closer to the freeway or the OC. The 2.5 hour round trip leaving at 10:30am for a “business meeting” was time well spent

5 Likes

Hi @js76wisco,

Nice! :slight_smile: Glad you liked it.

The answer for you should’ve been to take the Pumpernickel Fudge Brownie and Miso Cookie To Go. :wink:

Sage advice. In retrospect I should have not eaten ice cream twice yesterday (Salt n Straw and Sweet Rose) and gotten some pastries instead.

I do eat fish and seafood, @Chowseeker1999. Definitely won’t miss out on their smoked fish. I’m sure their carrot cake is amazing, as I’m a little too fond of the carrot cake at Gjelina Take Away. As always, thanks for sharing your culinary wisdom!

Carrot cake is usually not my favorite but I love Gjusta’s. I’m pretty sure it’s the same as the one at GTA. Moist, light, not too sweet, and unadulterated by raisins, pineapple, etc., with just to right amount of cream cheese frosting. I ordered a whole one for my birthday last year. Expensive, yes, and totally worth it.

3 Likes

The Carrot Cake at Gjusta

3 Likes

Hi @cookiemonster,

That is a brilliant idea! :slight_smile: Instead of some of the more insipid or overly sweet “birthday cakes”… Gjusta Fresh-made Carrot Cake! I’d take that in a heartbeat over typical birthday cakes. :slight_smile: Thanks.

1 Like