Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Oh, honey, thanks for sharing this. What a loss.

2 Likes

When CNN contacted his filming it was a little to political for me .
. I would like to read about his first beginnings on TV . A Cooks Tour , and No Reservations.

1 Like

Have you listened (to him reading) “Kitchen Confidential.” Great read.

1 Like

I read the book .

1 Like

I had read it and then we listened to him reading it while on a road trip. It was even better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are there any other specific memories that stand out?
There were many times that were just kind of fun, and you felt like you were doing something you would not have done if you weren’t with him. I remember we were going to this bar that he loved, in the 40s on the West Side, and they loved him there. We’d go in, and everybody came around. There were taxi cab drivers, prostitutes, this incredible crowd. All of them completely got Tony, and he got them. I just remember watching him among this disparate group of people, and how comfortable he really was in that kind of situation. He loved people in such nonjudgmental ways.

4 Likes

tomorrow will mark the fifth anniversary of his passing. i still watch the occasional episode of no reservations or parts unknown to pretend he’s still around.

6 Likes

good ol’ Uncle Tony, with his comforting wit, candor, and baritone voice. his allusions to film were great, too. i like watching some travel food shows here and there, but none could do it like Bourdain did.

i went to E by Jose Andres the day after he did, and the staff said he absolutely drank like a fish but he always maintained respect for all of them and was a genuinely cool guy off camera.

2 Likes

When we were in Hue, Vietnam, we had bun bo hue at a special place that he described as the best soup in the world. We agreed.

3 Likes

I was flipping around my satellite radio the other day and came across one of his episodes on the cnn channel (they literally just play the audio). Miss him so much.

3 Likes

Took me a couple years before I went back and watched the last few episodes of Parts Unknown. Working in kitchens and still in hospitality, his passing was the first (and maybe only) celebrity death that really affected me.
Thanks for sharing y’all.

Watched the Los Angeles episode of Cook’s Tour not too long ago. Features a section with Mark Peel and Campanile. Very melancholy feeling seeing those two together.

2 Likes