Any great Live Jazz venues around L.A.?

@lapizzamaven emailed you. :slight_smile: Yes please let me know if you hear which L.A. venues he’ll be showing up at in January / February 2016.

Thanks!

How many times have you been?

is this a ? to me, Thor? about the Sea Bird or Vibrato…Vibrato 3 times…= 3 nights filled with hostility toward the yapping scum disrespecting my musician friends…the SeaBird? many times and sat nite, my Man Azar’s band is not to be missed!

I enjoy the latin jazz in the Blue Room at Tavern on Wednesday nights. Paella is also served that night and it is great.

decaon jones used to play blues (hammond b3) there every other wednesday night, and i’ve heard other groups there, but mainly trios.

Hi @secretasianman,

Thanks. How were the trios on the nights you went? Soulful? Great? And how were the acoustics at Seven Grand? Whenever I’ve been (I guess on Fri / Sat) there was never any live music, so it was just chatter city.

they typically set up in that little nook on the right side facing the bar. if you’re lucky you can grab one of the two seats against the wall otherwise it’s SRO. acoustics aren’t the greatest. it’s been a while since i’ve gone to seven grand for the music.

Blue Whale, in Little Tokyo has a great chill scene. Top players, nice bar…definitely more “spare” than Vibrato but with more reasonable prices.

A little off-topic based on the previous responses, but OP asks for live jazz with food.

Every Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. at Las Hadas in Northridge a group of about 20 session players for the likes of Henry Mancini, Benny Goodman and other luminaries get together to play for a couple of hours. There’s some real talent here. It’s tremendous, with all the various horns, a drummer and a keyboard player. And even a singer or two.

They serve food, and the bar is open. And many guests enjoy the dance floor.

I went about a month ago and plan to revisit soon.

1 Like

Hi @lilmikey

Thanks for the tip! I’ll keep it in mind, but wow, 10:30 a.m. on Tuesdays… that might be hard for me unless I took a vacation day LOL.

it’s been years since i’ve been there, but i didn’t think the band was so great - which is why i haven’t been back in years…

Thanks Barry. Good to know.

Joon Lee’s Blue Whale is by far the best jazz club in town these days…its a younger scene generally, both on stage and in the audience but check the calendar, theres excellent music almost every nite…with an attentive audience, not the mostly obnoxious patrons at Vibrato!

if they didn’t have kind of blue, how about paul desmond’s ‘glad to be unhappy’? currently listening to it while savoring a laphroaig. happy new year.

@lapizzamaven Yah I’ve been meaning to check out Blue Whale thanks to everyone’s recommendation here. :slightly_smiling:

Any recommendations for upcoming musicians on their schedule?

@secretasianman thanks Barry! Happy New Year to you, too! :smile:

Went to Catalina’s last night. Food was nothing to write about. Rachelle Ferrell was pretty amazing. Did a great version of Auld Lang Syne.

There used to be a jazz club in LA that was famous.
I can’t remember the name but I think it was on Sunset or Melrose…
Anyone remember the name of the club?

What era? Soul’d Out? Ciro’s/The Living Room? [both on Sunset]
Shelly Manne’s Manne Hole on Cahuenga?
Or do you want to look back to the days of the Dunbar Hotel on Central Avenue?

I think this might be The Falls Lounge that you’re talking about…even if not, The Falls Lounge still does a Monday night jazz jam.
LIVE JAZZ every MONDAY at The Falls!
Picked as best jazz night in Downtown and great cocktail specials all night to sweeten the deal. ALL MUSICIANS are welcome to bring your instrument and vocalists warm up those pipes and sit in with the band in the second set for the big jam! Starts at 9pm. No Cover.
626 S. Spring St. Downtown LA

Also you might try ETA in Highland Park and The Varnish …hit or miss…sometimes great, sometimes just organized noise. ymmv

1 Like

After seeing La La Land, has anyone been to The Lighthouse featured in the movie? Looked like a great venue (but maybe that’s just spruced up to be nicer in the movie?). :slight_smile: