Any great Live Jazz venues around L.A.?

Oh how I miss the KLON jazz pub crawl. There were so many jazz clubs/bars at that time (90s) that there were two or three loops for the buses. I miss Bob Burns more than any vintage LA spot.

Has anyone tried Industry Cafe & Jazz? It’s the Ethiopian place across from Cognoscenti on Washington Blvd. I’ve never been myself but Ethiopian food and jazz go really well together. One of the Fairfax places does live jazz too. I want to say Lalibela maybe?

How’s the food at The Barkley? We drive by there often and talk about stopping in, but the online menu doesn’t grab us. (That being said, the music might outweigh the menu reticence!)

i haven’t eaten there all that often; i come for the music and buy a couple of drinks in lieu of cover. it’s your basic tavern food. their prime rib special at $22 isn’t bad, but i’m not sure it’s always on the menu.

1 Like

Nope, but I have been curious about that place too. If you end up going report back!

Any LA FTC’ers been to 1642 by Leo’s Tacos-Echo Park, Temple x Glendale?

I know not jazz. I think it’s mostly swing and ragtime. Looks like a cool place.

1 Like

Biggest loss to my life in recent years was that the mint Mondays didn’t even last 6 months

Been hearing great things about Sam First near LAX.

Continental is back. It maybe my current favorite venue. Dark, red, basement. Just what I’m used to back in Boston.

Yeakley and crew there tonight and I think imma go

3 Likes

they used to have have jazz at the tap room on thursday nights at the langham in pasadena. actually, it was a great jazz (piano) trio and the bassist was/is luther hughes. sadly their gig got canceled and replaced by someone awful. but i got on his email list and apparently la creperie cafe in LB offers jazz on certain nights. luther is playing in a guitar trio (guitar/bass/drums) there this friday night from 8-11. if you go to their website, the trio is in the 3rd pic in their sequence.

1 Like

Went back last night for the first return since the Before Times. Still an amazing experience. It’s on Thursdays now. GO to the Continental on Thursdays. Sonoratown bang bang

2 Likes

warrior: blue whale used to be good before flatten the curve.

Blue Whale has been harpooned. They closed during the pandemic. Last year maybe?

1 Like

Blue Whale was so good. Such a loss…

1 Like

Loved Blue Whale too but a very different experience. That Continental basement is so stony and old school with low ceiling and dark red lighting. Takes me right back to the Good Life in Boston in the 90s. Whale was quite stiff with rows of seating but they booked incredible talent. More of a show vs a jam session.

2 Likes

The contenental basement sounds like my jam. Still miss the Piano bar from back in the day watching the west coast get down!

5 Likes

So many top players in your town. Im sure there is a place where A list players like to meet up after hours . Where to relax and play music .

1 Like

Pictured Kamasi Washington and Ryan Porter (on Trombone)

5 Likes

Nice. Spotted. I saw kamasi show up at the golden lounge at the biltmore waaay before I knew his name

2 Likes

oh just learning that the incredible drummer we saw Thursday is Tony Adams who just played with Kamasi on Fallon

2 Likes