Any interest from the LA board in moving to HO?

wait, what? this would be a huge loss if true.

1 Like

I learned an incredible amount from CH about cooking. I try to remind myself to listen more :wink:

1 Like

Hereā€™s the meat!!!

LOL

3 Likes

Perfect

2 Likes

Yep. Porthos is gone. It was weird. I read the exchange between he/she and Robert. But I donā€™t understand. Can anyone enlighten me?

2 Likes

I didnā€™t follow the knife thread. But your meat looks great.

1 Like

One of his last posts:

3 Likes

I know. But I donā€™t really understand what Porthos was getting at. Do you?

I shouldnā€™t butt in as I really am not sure I have all the facts, but I think this came from Robertā€™s not wanting to merge with HO. One of his major reasons is that HOā€™s rules make all content ā€˜public domainā€™ so to speak. He thinks what is posted here is the property of the posters. Hereā€™s his quote early on:ā€œI edited the terms of service to say posters own their own copyrights and eliminate irrelevant stuff.ā€. Porthos seemed to conclude something different. The quote you show says he thinks that Robert owns the material or, at least, has a way to profit from it that is different from how HO works. That seems to have to have been how it may have been at first, but Robert changed that back in October. Someone please correct me if thatā€™s not true.

2 Likes

Was it the same thread where Robert gave an accountingā€¦one that included a ā€˜minus signā€™?

1 Like

[quote=ā€œMidlife, post:76, topic:3497ā€]
I shouldnā€™t butt in
[/quote] No please do. Thanks for explaining it. Because I was scratching my head. I just didnā€™t want to believe that Porthos was begrudging Robertā€™s trying to make a modest profit for all that heā€™s done here.

I donā€™t mean to be crass by talking about money or counting someone elseā€™s. But Porthos seems to be doing quite well in that department. It would be kind of selfish to try and hinder someone who may not have it like that.

2 Likes

I think other folks have highlighted the relevant statements. I havenā€™t seen Porthos post since. As much as I appreciate his contributions, I think he might have been too literal on his take of things that went down - just my opinion.

1 Like

Actually, if Iā€™m remembering correctly, Robert has since posted that heā€™s made a ā€˜hugeā€™ profit of $300 or so in his first 8-10 months with the site. Could be wrong about that too.

1 Like

Oh wellā€¦ I hope heā€™s just taking a breather. I like him. And I can only live vicariously through that kind of fabulous dining of his.

1 Like

further up this threadā€¦

Discourse is $100 a month, to date Iā€™ve paid them $900. Google AdSense brings in about $60 a month, to date Iā€™ve gotten $536. So Iā€™ve cashed in to the tune of -$364. Youā€™re welcome.

but seriously, this is america - if he makes some money BFD, that just means the site can stay around longer. As long as he doesnā€™t become a CH mod and decides to put a 8x8 ad leaving only 4 posts per page, weā€™re all good.

5 Likes

Actually itā€™s near the top of this thread.

robert10d Porthos
Porthos:
Robert doesnā€™t give away his writing so I shouldnā€™t create content for him to cash in on either
Discourse is $100 a month, to date Iā€™ve paid them $900. Google AdSense brings in about $60 a month, to date Iā€™ve gotten $536. So Iā€™ve cashed in to the tune of -$364. Youā€™re welcome.

2 Likes

Hmmm. Missed the minus. If anyone here thinks a profit of $364 would have been any different, in relation to the underlying issue, itā€™s beyond me.

2 Likes

New here but that was my reaction. Clearly a ā€˜labor of like.ā€™

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œNs1, post:82, topic:3497ā€]
but seriously, this is america - if he makes some money BFD, that just means the site can stay around longer.
[/quote] I agree. Yes, CH blew it. But I did read one of the reasons they sold-out is because it just wasnā€™t supporting itself. Itā€™s easy for us to point fingers. But it can seem a tad ungrateful.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I thought it was a monthly deficit. Whatever the case, Robert did what few others did - create a new neighborhood that was safe and welcoming for us kids to play in. How Robert decided to model this site is his choice. Iā€™m grateful for this all to be here.

3 Likes