Anyone tried Pasta Sisters? Looks GOOD!

They’re taking it down.

4 Likes

I know. Even the pictures of the stuff he doesn’t like are good. Only teasing @PorkyBelly. Keep posting.

1 Like

Can one laugh and throw up at the same time?

1 Like

Hi MatthewKang,

I already apologized to Eater and I did my best to take immediately down the picture. (in 30 min from the posting it was taken out…)
I made a rookie mistake…

Fortunately I was able to contact the photographer (that has the rights of the pictures posted on Eater LA), and he recognized the good faith of my action, and he kindly accepted my apologies.

I just wanted to clarify the situation, just because you started talking about it.

Best,

Francesco

6 Likes

[quote=“Francesco_Sinatra, post:88, topic:2778”]
I just wanted to clarify the situation, just because you started talking about it.
[/quote]I don’t blame you.
That was a thoughtful response.

1 Like

delete.

5 Likes

I actually had to look up this 2* review:

Their sandwiches are alright (you can make one that is comparable if you make a trip to your local Trader Joe’s) and on the menu it reads “with a side of fruit”. I got my sandwich and the side of fruit was 4 grapes. LMAO… 4 fucking grapes! My colleague got 3, so I must have been real lucky. A Dole fruit cup would have been good, but naw, these jokesters rationing their grapes hard like its famine season or under a communist regime. Better to just leave the “side of fruit” portion off the menu.

and this 1* review:

The sandwhich that i ordered and mashed potatoes were good, but the side of fruit is such a joke, its almost insulting! 3 grapes in a tiny container thats usually used for condiments!!! They should not even state that the sandwich comes with a side a fruit, so ridiculous!!! Never again ordering from here!

While petty, if they really are giving out 3-4 grapes, they probably should stop advertising the sandwiches as being served with a side of fruit. Because yes, if you’re telling me you’re serving me a side of fruit with my sandwich I am for sure expecting more than 3-4 grapes.

1 Like

Jesus, how much did you eat! I had that tart at a beer spot last week with a super strong barrel aged Lost Abbey beer and it was amazing together. Lasagna made with fresh pasta versus dried will do that, it’s a different dish. Bechamel i’m guessing on it. Didn’t try. We loved the eggplant parm. I didn’t actually try the morta sandwich, but we did buy the meat to take home and I was just losing my shit over that

I’d have to say it’s hard to make a comparison since every pasta / sauce combination is different. There is no exact 1:1 match for Sauce / Pasta type, but my impressions (and my friends) were exactly the opposite of yours.

Jon & Vinny had so many failures when we went, Pasta Sisters was far superior in our opinion.

When you drop nearly $30 for Pasta at a casual place like Jon & Vinny’s and you get the extremely disappointing, oily, greasy-tasting mess like their Agnolotti (that was MUSH) and their Cacio e Pepe, compared to the perfect Porcini Mushroom Papardelle and Tagliette Bolognese ($8.75 + tax), it’s not even close.

But your mileage may vary.

I think your mistake was going here expecting Sotto, Bestia, Jon and Vinny, etc. Their pasta dishes are literally 2-3x cheaper than the places you mentioned. Of course you’re going to be disappointed. Don’t go test drive a BMW expecting Bentley cause you’ll be disappointed.

You have to look at Pasta Sisters for what they are, a mom and pop operation that serves above average pasta for a fair price.

2 Likes

delete.

delete.

Yea I loved my visits as well. Going to compare to Jon & Vin’s tomorrow

That Sfogliatella is certainly one of the best pastries in L.A. If geting down Arlington was not SUCH a PITA, we would go there SO Much more often…

I’m one of those take out people. I’ve never been that impressed with my meals there. The ingredients are EXCELLENT, but I think there is a certain balance that is a little out of wack. Instead, we get pasta, the cheese and charcuterie (They also have an AMAZING Prosciutto and are the only place in the hood to get amazing cheeses) and pesto. The pesto is like basil butter. It’s rich and HEAVY. The pastas always cook up amazing. The charcuterie and cheese are what we use for our homemade pizzas and are always worth the price (if not more)

Like you, I found their Focaccia to be ‘meh’ which is why I never even THOUGHT about ordering a sandwich there. But I LOVE Mortadella and Pistachio (Although I prefer my Mortadella without pistachio) so I can’t wait to try that sandwich. :slight_smile:

–Dommy!

1 Like

Fresh pasta made with just flour and eggs is not normally chewy/firm. Semolina pasta fresh or dried typically has more chew

delete.

delete.

You can do fresh pasta with semolina flour (Evan Funke does this quite a bit) that will have more chew. But the Pasta Sisters will never be al dente -nor is is supposed to be. Just a different style. My only complaint is that they tend to over sauce but the extra bread on the side usually takes care of that.

1 Like

delete.