Anyone tried Pasta Sisters? Looks GOOD!

I’d echo this for the most part and add my 2 cents:

Fresh pasta that is made with eggs is usually rolled/shaped quite thin and has more of a . . . spring . . . to it rather than a real chew or bite. It should definitely still have substance, don’t get me wrong, but it will never have the same texture as a dried pasta.

Fresh pasta that has no eggs and usually a higher proportion of semolina flour will have significantly more chew than fresh pasta made with eggs and no/little semolina. This dough is also generally formed into thicker shapes and that will increase the perceived chew.

Then you have to figure in that a lot of those high semolina/no egg pastas are actually dried to some degree before cooking. For instance, when I make orecchiette I need to form it no later than the morning of the day I want to cook them. Otherwise, they just don’t have the right bite, chew, and texture.

Then you’ve got dried pasta, which can be totally awesome and every bit as good as the two classes of pasta I mention above. There you’re going to get more resistance when biting. Not a chewiness, per se, but resistance.

So when you’re talking about say fresh spaghetti, which I would never undertake, you’re dealing with an no egg/high semolina dough that was extruded and then most likely dried and rested for several hours or more. Funke takes this on and takes it on with spectacular results.

But this is also fundamentally different than the pastas that I see Pasta Sisters making. They seem to be making a yes egg/low semolina dough. This just has a completely different texture than both the no egg/high semolina pasta and truly dried pasta.

The types of sauces and preparations are totally different for these classes of pasta, too. I just don’t see a pasta with breadcrumbs and bottarga working well with a delicate pappardelle. Just as you aren’t going to get acceptable results if you use a no egg/high semolina dough to make caramelle.

So all that is to say that comparing Pasta Sisters to say Funke or Jon and Vinny’s is not exactly apples and oranges. The specific pasta traditions they are rooted in seem quite different. Throw in the prices and well, it’s really a difficult comparison.

That said, I have yet to try Pasta Sisters. I’m going off of the types of pasta I’ve seen presented here and on Yelp. It looks like they are making different things.

12 Likes

Dropping knowledge!!

1 Like

Personally, I would agree. Despite both being “pasta”, they seem like different things to me.

A lot of other people seem to disagree, and insist on direct comparisons as if they are apples-to-apples, though.

A much appreciated post.

ok the porcini pappardelle is fantastic. they didn’t have eggplant today… because apparently it’s out of season… though they didn’t mind serving the completely bland winter tomatos :slight_smile: out of buratta as well for the caprese… and the mozza was shockingly sour

4 Likes

that looks awesome, if a bit over sauced. Did you have any bread to soak up the leftover sauce?

I’ve been drinking the leftover sauce out of the container whenever I get any of the porcini pastas over there… Does that make me a terrible person?

7 Likes

yes, tons of focaccia

Have the lines died down yet at Pasta Sisters?

We got there at 1230 and no problem. While we were eating the line got big.

Also we are both sick. Guts tearing up and I suspect the sour mozza

You’re saying the pasta made you sick?

Hi @Nemroz,

Sorry to hear. You should definitely call them up and tell them about the sour mozzarella and let them know you’re not feeling well. It’s a family run business, hopefully they can catch the issue and compensate you in some way.

meh. i like the owner too much to bum her out… she was giving me food recs in Italy. i’m sure they discovered their sour cheese by now… i tried to tell the counter youngin but he was not understanding me. we thought maybe it was just lemon juice on the mozzarella because when it spoils it goes bitter and not sour… wrong.

Hi NS1,

Thank you for pointing out this 2 reviews.

Since the beginning we never said “served with a side of fruit”.

When UberEats created the menu on their app, they took a picture of the panini with some grapes on the side and they (without our knowledge) wrote “served with a side of fruit”.

We revised the menu without seeing that mistake. But we were thinking to give a little sweet bite on the side, and we start serving first clementines during winter time, and grapes during summer time.

When we started receiving complains for the free serving of fruit on the side we didn’t know why they were complaining, and one customer sent to me an email explaining, so we got the misleading message.

After this experience we decided to serve the panini without sides of any sort to avoid other complains.

I just want to give you Pasta Sisters version of the story.

Best,

Francesco

7 Likes

Hi Nemroz,

I am very sorry you didn’t feel good after eating the buffalo mozzarella.

If you have told me immediately I would have being able to fix the situation!

Our Buffalo mozzarella arrives from Italy (Campania), every week. It’s very difficult that goes bad after just a couple of days from making it to serve it. But it can happen. And I am mortified it happen to you and your partner.

Please, come in and ask for me. I would love to try with you the mozzarella, because I noticed that mozzarella in the US is not flavorful and salty, when in Italy, and especially the buffalo mozzarella is very particular and tasty.

We are here to learn from our mistakes and to get better and better with all the feedback we can get.

We wish to see you soon.

Best,

Francesco

20 Likes

On, it’s not a problem. I love your place and will always go back. I should have said something to someone else beside the counter guy who didn’t know what I was talking about. You were not there but I was speaking with Paola, who was so helpful with Italy trip recommendations, I did not want to bother her with some sour cheese. We thought maybe there’s a lot of lemon on it. Usually this cheese turns bitter, not sour when old so we were confused. Doesn’t matter though, all good for real. And than

Lunch today was busy at 1140. Didn’t have the mortadella sandwich on the menu :sob: the nice woman at the counter said it wasn’t on the register menu so she couldn’t make it… Maybe next time

5 Likes

I just got back from Pasta Sisters, and I’m so glad I finally got to try it! Very, very good pasta! I tried spaghetti (Bottarga), pappardelle (Porcini Mushroom) and tagliatelle (Bolognese), with the pappardelle being my favorite–so toothsome!

I also got a tiramisù to-go, which was quite good, too!

Now to go to the gym…

UPDATE! Photos below…

6 Likes

how ar ethics’s lines ?

I was able to order within a couple minutes of getting there, and I got my food within 10min of that.

Ebbs and flows got there one group ahead of me, when I was leaving around 8 ppl in just depends on how long ppl take to order