APL Restaurant

cow

burrata, stonefruit, acacia honey
Sadly this was the highlight of the night. the barely in season peaches weren’t bad and the burrata was good.

felony knife
sharper than a lego you just stepped on with your bare feet.

signature apl short rib, pickle salad
I must have gotten the ribs of an anorexic cow; how they made a fatty cut like this into a dry, insipid hunk of meat is beyond me. It tasted like a bland, smokeless, lean brisket, that needed some bbq sauce. Nothing like the fatty, juicy, silky ribs that you get at majordomo or even at events where APL is serving the ribs himself. I’m hoping this was an opening-weekend anomaly, but at this price point i won’t be returning until i hear positive reports. Yes, sergio was in the kitchen.

apl_20180511_182056

apl_20180513_112637

cold sweet onions
recipe here
apl_20180513_112736

not a toto

The space was very dark and corporate, it felt like i was dining at an upscale corner bakery or maggiano’s. Service was friendly but over-attentive, runners were literally standing over my shoulder while I ate.

Now taking reservations. Can’t wait to try the fucking fries.

brisket cracklings while you wait
wow these were so damn good

double beef chili dog - apl new mexican hatch chili with hand cut prime beef chuck, sweet onions, cheddar, pickled jalapenos
even though this was named “double beef” it didn’t taste very beefy. it was still very good, but the dog had absolutely zero snap, so the entire thing just had a soft texture. this would have been great with a snappy dog.

brisket (fatty)
this could have been more tender, i couldn’t pull it apart and needed a knife to cut it. i didn’t get much smoke or seasoning either and had to resort to bbq sauce.

beef rib, pork ribs, pulled pork

beef rib
Now this is what I remember APL serving at his awesome jimmy kimmel pop-ups and alex’s lemonde stand charity events. Meaty, fatty, and tender AF. It was so tender you could cut this with khloe kardashian’s dull personality.

pork ribs
another highlight, i really liked the peppery sweet rub.

pulled pork
good

serious sandwich - pit-cooked shaved dry aged prime rib, pickle salad, sweet onions, freshly grated horseradish
for @CiaoBob. damn they should really call this the salt, fat, acid, MEAT sandwich. there was a ton of meat in this (served cold?), i actually would have preferred more of the really good crisped, toasted bread (or less meat). they did use enough horseradish and pickles to cut through all the fat though. even with all the meat it was still tender enough to easily bite through and the sandwich held together surprisingly well for being so big. rich AF.

uni for scale

12 Likes

I’m looking forward to it also. We should do a meet up where we all go see School of Rock at the Pantages, then have a post-theatre meal at APL. How fun would that be?

3 Likes

:rofl:

Duck fat fries?

Also of interest is their steak knife for sale: the “‘felony’ knife” for $950.01.

First order: iceberg salad, ribeye, and dat Fucking fries with some bearnaise sauce.

4 Likes

been waiting for this one

He put the APL knife on the menu so if people try to steal it, he will charge $950.01. it’s to discourage people from stealing it

i would love to buy one but not at that price.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/do-not-steal-adam-perry-langs-knives-apl

3 Likes

How similar do you think the Momofuku and APL short ribs are going to be? The sides and accoutrements will obviously be different but will be meat be very similar based on their collaboration at Momofuku?

I guess I’ll be breaking my vow never to go back to that repulsive corner. At least it’s really close to the Metro.

Holey moley! SEVENTEEN DOLLARS for tomato, lettuce and creme fraiche? Does any of that vibrate?!? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Majordomo short rib uses David Chang’s mom’s marinade. I think APL’s will be more of a traditional American type seasoning and smoking process? Not sure though

The salad prices seem out of line with the sides, but I guess they’re factoring in turn time.

I noticed that also.

I thought APL was going to be more 'cue centric. Looks just like another steakhouse :roll_eyes:

The pictures of the short rib on Matt Kang and Phil Rosenthal IG feed are drool worthy.

2 Likes

It’s more like classic Texas BBQ

1 Like

I can attest it’s damn good.

1 Like

hmmm…cant seem to find the pics of the APL short rib on their IG feeds

Sorry its in their stories.

1 Like

Got it, thanks!

NPR did a piece on APL - more on his knives than his food, but still kind of interesting.

1 Like

How does it compare to majordomo’s?