April 2017 Weekend Rundown

Their fries are really good actually.

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Poor baby.

Sometimes your pictures are so good that I get suprised to find you didn’t actually like the dish. But sadly, even your pictures couldn’t hide how bad Verlaine was.

I hardly write Yelp reviews anymore. It has to be exceptionally good and I want to give a shout-out or exceptionally bad and I’m angry, like your bait & switch. This would make me want to Yelp!

Good review though. :smile:

P.S. That Bloody Mary at P.Y.T. (pretty young thing?) is not even red. Is that all horseradish? :fearful:

1 Like

@Haeldaur -

I know I probably sound (if you could hear me) like a broken record to some. But I’m not suprised the grilled calamari wasn’t great. C&T only excel at New England style fare… Oh and perfect oysters and of course, that blondie :kissing_closed_eyes:.

I :heart: the place.

1 Like

You did great :yum:! Is that whole garlic on the bottom?

1 Like

This will sound strange but I had some frozen Gnocchi and just tossed them in the glaze and they turned out pretty darn good…

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Yah, the pictures truly don’t do the place justice (bad justice)… it was that bad. :frowning:

And yes, that Bloody Mary I had tasted like 50% Horseradish! :open_mouth: I was choking with every sip (and it helped clear my sinuses :stuck_out_tongue:).

But both of those bad meals were balanced by the amazing meal I had at Bulgarini (if you didn’t catch that). It more than made up for it. :slight_smile:

Well, whatever you did, the whole thing looks really good. I’m not kidding! It probably got even better the next day; reheating with the flavors & fat rendering down into the meat :kissing_closed_eyes:. Okay, I’ll stop now. I miss ham! Should this discussion be somewhere in home cooking. Carry on…

1 Like

I haven’t made it to that part of the thread yet :slight_smile:. I’m truly impressed. Bulgarini is not a place you just wanted to check off your list. You really :heart: it.

1 Like

Belated posts from last weekend.

First, had an excellent meal at Xi An tasty, which is probably my favorite noodle place in SGV. Hand made with excellent chew and unique sauces. The first is hand made noodles with beef in preserved sauce; the second is hand-made noodles with chicken and potatoes. These pictures do not capture it, but the curry noodle dish is huge.

On Sunday, stopped by my favorite falafel place in LA, Taeem on Melrose. They just do everything right; there’s a reason this place is just packed with Israelis at all times. Fluffy pita, crisp falafel with a smooth, green interior, simple salads and a great hot sauce. This feels like what you get in Tel Aviv. Just don’t go on Friday night or Saturday, they close for Shabbat.

6 Likes

ta-eem is the best! And don’t go during any of the jewish holidays because they are closed for the duration plus more usually!

1 Like

Forever thankful that Anzutei moved from LA to Gardena, since I live in Torrance. :grin:

Tantanmen (with egg and garlic added), miso ramen, and fried rice. Really good as always.

6 Likes

Pretty good yukgaejang, ddukbaegi bulgogi, and galbi at Hansol (inside H-Mart) in Torrance.

5 Likes

Lunch at Mozza Pizzeria Newport Beach. Today seemed a bit off, but still good.

3 Likes

MEGA PIZZA & GRILLE (Culver City)
First time, long time. Got the Copenhagen Chicken Special Pizza and the Meat Sauce Canoe Pizza. What names, eh? Both were a hit. To me, they’re fusion casual in a great way. I’ll be back to try that gyro pizza sandwich.

DEL REY DELI (Playa Del Rey)
Finally got there on a weekend to try out the chorizo breakfast burrito only to find out that they now serve breakfast all week. This is a good on-the-way-to-the-airport option, I think. The burrito was everything you’d want it to be. Potatoy/chorizoy/cheesiey. I do wish there had been a bit more spice. Definitely want to try that Cubano that @Dommy called out, too.

LOVE & SALT (Manhattan Beach)
Another firsty. Walked right in and sat at the bar. The Spring Peas & Burrata were bright with a splash of nice lemon to the dome. The Spicy Salami Marg pizza was fine. Tasty, but I might not go pizza again when I go back. The highlight for me were the meatballs in the Rigatoni (parmesan brodo, wilted escarole, whipped ricotta, little chicken meatballs). Fun atmosphere without being a din den.

PITFIRE PIZZA (Manhattan Beach)
Walked over for that beloved fake pizzookie. That Strauss soft serve moves mountains. I wish the cookie was a bit warmer, but when you’ve got a cookie topped with ice cream topped with caramel sauce, and there’s curling on the TV, and a corgi named Ludwig is sitting at the table next to you, you don’t have much to complain about.

7 Likes

Concur with top three - like it matters :sweat_smile:. But I haven’t been to Pitfire in years, as the one closest to us (Del Rey/Culver City) was exceedingly difficult to access for a very long time (and the food was just OK).

@westsidegal has put her stamp of approval on this place’s soft-serve and chocolate sauce long ago. I need to fight the good fight and mow down some kids getting at this stuff. :wink:

1 Like

Yea, that lot is a vortex of chaos.

1 Like

Ha!! Yeah, we don’t even park in the lot. Just on the street now. It’s the same thing at Ekamai

–Dommy!

Even street parking is tough around these two places - more so at Ekkamai.

Speaking of Ekkamai, the owner leased the storefronts just east of the restaurant. He’s been in the extremely long process of making a restaurant space from scratch. I think he mentioned that it’s going to be a S.E. Asian food bar. I get the impression he is very serious about the food. But the whole building process has been a real bummer.

1 Like

Sometimes I want gochujang on my collard greens, and so I tuck a bottle in my purse when joining friends for BBQ. Because E Pluribus Unum.

The porkiness and bitterness of the greens, combined with the sweet smokiness of the gochujang is an excellent combination.

7 Likes

F-in’ great idea. :+1:

1 Like