April 2017 Weekend Rundown

Even street parking is tough around these two places - more so at Ekkamai.

Speaking of Ekkamai, the owner leased the storefronts just east of the restaurant. He’s been in the extremely long process of making a restaurant space from scratch. I think he mentioned that it’s going to be a S.E. Asian food bar. I get the impression he is very serious about the food. But the whole building process has been a real bummer.

1 Like

Sometimes I want gochujang on my collard greens, and so I tuck a bottle in my purse when joining friends for BBQ. Because E Pluribus Unum.

The porkiness and bitterness of the greens, combined with the sweet smokiness of the gochujang is an excellent combination.

7 Likes

F-in’ great idea. :+1:

1 Like

Nice @Bookwich. :slight_smile: See if you can master sneaking in Ketchup into Father’s Office for their Fries next time. :wink:

1 Like

A beautiful day for a hike in the Santa Monica Mountains…

Followed by a seafood fest at Neptune’s Net… (If you stick with the steamed stuff on the menu here, you’ll be fine. The cocktail sauce for them shrimp is quite excellent.)

10 Likes

Thursday - Maple Block Meat
Waygu Beef Ribs and “Coppa” Pork Ribs
The Coppa’s were meatier, but a bit drier than the usual pork spare ribs. The beef ribs were excellent

Friday - Popcorn Chicken
Wonderful Beef Noodles and Fried Cartilage

Saturday - guest at a Big Party at Otium
Lot’s of plates, all good, but other than the funnel cake with foamy foie gras, nothing memorable

Sunday - Bottlefish
Solid.

Sat/Sun Lunch - Holbox
The scallop, cocktails, ceviches and tacos were all first rate

5 Likes

Chosun Galbee in Koreatown for BBQ. Definitely not the best this area has to offer but we enjoy coming here last minute because it’s easy to get a table, one of the “nicer” joints, good service, etc. We swung by Parks on the way but there was a 1 hour wait.

Think I’m still full.

6 Likes

Damn, my coppa ribs were fantastic with an abundance of moisture.

3 Likes

One of mine looked like that and was indeed fantastic. The other one was dry. 4 came with the order but I split with a friend. He did not mention dryness. And maybe I am biased by a DEEP, DEEP love of the usual spareribs I get there. These were quite good.

1 Like

Isaan Station.
Gai Yang
Papaya Salad and Sticky Rice

A solid lunch!

Can’t help it as a dude but on this visit the waitress and customers were all good looking gorgeous women.

7 Likes

One Night in Los Angeles…

Nice view up here. Ain’t no party like a star party!
My friend and I have talked about getting “lost” at Griffith Park so we have to spend the night.

Onto a LA Bucket list…

I love the history of this place. Hemingway, Sinatra, Bogart… my favorites ate/drank here at Mussos. Sat at the bar…

Martini!
Gin. Perfect. Stirred. Straight Up. With Twist.

Sand Dabs the way Sinatra ate them.

Onto another classic…

One of the treasures in LA…Marty and Elayne! If you haven’t seen them…go!

Blood and Sand.

It ain’t over yet…

For the galbi jim.

This ain’t yo grandmas galbi jim. Or Soban.

This dish is nuts. Galbi jim on meth and pcp with Vietnamese coffee on IV drip. Complete opposite of Soban. Both are very tasty.

Good night!

9 Likes

Oh celebrity run in at Sun Nong Dan…

Bobby Lee aka Kenneth Park from Harold and Kumar aka Mad TV fame

“Kenneth’s mom makes the best kimchi jigae!”
“It’s really good”

He was all bummed out. Confirmed with one of the waiters that it is indeed Bobby Lee.

He said a “what up” to me as he walked out.

I am guessing he goes to Bleu/KTown Cheers next door then Sun Nong Dan.

Has the booze license returned to SND?

Cafe Bleu next door certainly hopes not.

Did not ask about the booze status.

I scanned the room and didn’t see any bottles out.