April 2018 Weekend Rundown

@TheCookie Foie gras toast. It was nice and delightful…but it was also 2 bites and $9 for a baguette slice topped with date marmalade, yuzu, and sesame.

2 Likes

Hi @attran99 -

I knew it looked like my kind of food.

…And therein lies my hesitancy (one of them anyway). Some will laugh, because I’ve been known to spend some moola on dining :relaxed:, but I’ve had a niggling suspicion that République is overpriced. Are we paying for food and drinks or their renovations? I’ve always loved that building btw. It’s time to go. Ummm… especially since they serve some of my favorite foods! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I did buy a goat for a family last year. But we could be doing much more.

1 Like

Lol, I meant feeding family and friend children, and neighbor kids that drop by at dinner time, even when the boy isn’t isn’t home. (:heart:)

I do buy ducks, chickens and goats for gifts for all the little niece and nephews, though! How great is that?

3 Likes

:rofl: Awesome. I’m feeding construction workers right now. I need a chuck wagon dinner bell.

4 Likes

This would be a cool thread. I’m always interested in finding out more about the different types of organizations that do these kinds of things.

3 Likes

Over a couple April weekends:

Sushi Tsujita - when you need to scratch that sushi / sashimi itch, it’s tough to beat the QPR of the kaisendon or bara-chirashi here. PSA: You can also grab these at lunch on a Saturday.

Little Fatty - I went here once before over a year ago, and it wasn’t memorable. Went this past weekend…and…wow. I no longer have Pine and Crane envy food living on the west side!

The chicken portion of the Hainanese chicken was the best version I’ve had in a while. For sure it beats Savoy by a country mile (but that’s not a high bar), and…I’ll go ahead and say it…I enjoyed it more than what I ate at Tian Tian in the Maxwell food court in Singapore. The rice was pretty good too (enough of the chicken flavor, moist, while still retaining a solid texture) but it’s the chicken that stands out - so rich, juicy, and chicken-y. I still need to revisit Sidechick (which I loved from the pop up) to compare.

P.S. That’s the version from Tian Tian - I think, by comparison, Little Fatty uses some chicken on steroids :wink:

Oh yes, back to our original programming - had the leek pie, which was outstanding, and the squid ink XLB (good, but not sure about the value add of the squid ink other than to make it stand out visually). Also had the greens and three cup chicken (holds up to the Pine and Crane version). Definitely look forward to returning soon!

9 Likes

Wow! That middle picture is the most legit looking presentation of hainanese chicken rice I’ve seen in LA.

Requisite individual trio of sauces - ginger, chili and thick soy sauce; chopped chicken in a puddle of lightly sweetened soy sauce & oil, topped with cilantro and scallions and side of soup. There even a bottle of Yeo’s chrysanthemum tea :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

If you’re referring to the picture with five plates of rice, that’s actually from Singapore, so explains why it looks legit - sorry for the confusion!

1 Like

:rage: Killjoy!!!

1 Like

THAT place used to be good until about 3-4 years ago. Now it sucks. Hard.

@TheCookie Dinner can get pricey. We ordered a ton of stuff plus drinks and a carafe of wine. We walked out with a tab over $400 not including tip. From what I understand, breakfast/brunch/lunch is more reasonable…and your have the benefit of the pastry shop. But we would go back…everything was delicious and the restaurant is lovely. I love the location, too!

1 Like

I never found Republique overpriced, but only because the food is actually good. It’s definitely expensive though and I usually clock in at around $100pp, ordering carefully.

1 Like

i disagree it’s definitely overpriced by at least 10-15%

1 Like

Well, where do you go for comparable food/ambiance/etc at 10-15% less?

I want to say Osteria Mozza is a little cheaper, and comparable.

looks like we’re splitting hairs here and any potential pricing differential is based on what type of luxury ingredients you’re in the mood for. having said that, when I went to Osteria Mozza I was pleasantly surprised that the bill wasn’t higher than it was.

I really don’t feel like keying in these menu items on a spreadsheet and then computing averages, so we’ll just agree to disagree.

FTC = Financial Tickery Central

3 Likes

Friends & Family, at least for breakfast/lunch.

1 Like

I just put this on my list for our frequent family & friend brunches. Good food, good price, central to L.A. and Valley… and they take reservations!