April 2018 Weekend Rundown

Little Fatty post-Farmers’ Market shopping:

Wonton Noodle Soup

Best part? Exploding fish balls!

The fish balls have a spongy exterior and a molten center of gooey liquid that tastes like sweet flavored with shrimp paste. I loved these.

Also, look how many noodles there are, I filled a plate (breakfast tomorrow) and still had plenty left in my bowl. Very good noodles, springy, thin, curly, just how I like them.

4 Likes

I am so hungry after seeing your posts, @Chowseeker1999.
I didn’t eat a lot of goat growing up…it was too gamy for Mom, but later in life, she found a goat curry from somewhere in Little Saigon that she liked enough to order take out. I’ll have to ask her which place it is. I didn’t know De 7 Mon even existed until @ipsedixit mentioned it. I love this board…it opens my eyes to new things all the time!

2 Likes

We hoped that Boston Lobster would be a good sub for Newport - nope. We had similar experiences with our food.

We have noticed Newport being somewhat inconsistent. We went a couple of times during the slack periods - after the lunch crowds - and felt it wasn’t as good. Could be the second or third stringers or reduced crew are doing the cooking at that time?

1 Like

Happy hour at Seven Grand. St. George “Baller” whisky (designed for highball cocktails, aged in umeshu casks). About half the price I get it for in SF now that it’s discontinued.

Afternoon Manhattan
A5 Miyazaki-gyu shabu shabu at Kagaya

Strawberry sorbet

brunch at Connie & Ted’s, a go-to every time I visit.
Ginger cocktail
Belon and wellfleet oysters, topneck clams
Daily 1/2 dozen. Black duck salts or kumiai were probably my favorites; they didn’t have Coromandels that day.

Steamers

Hot lobster roll (cold lobster roll not pictured)

Pineapple-basil sorbet

Eataly - impressive selection, but a zoo. We picked up some Ligurian olive oil, Modenese balsamic, 3 yr. prosciutto, olives, and some dry pasta to take home.

Dinner at Shiki Beverly Hills. The first few courses were made by Nao Sugiyama (of the former New York kaiseki restaurant, Sugiyama), and the sashimi and sushi was prepared by Hiro-san, as usual.

Snap pea with yuzu flower, Shizuoka wasabi, edamame, and dashi. We liked the slight crunch from the interspersed bits of snap pea. A cool and refreshing start with subtle sweetness.
Hassun plate, with 9 kobachi all highlighting a different classic preparation. Clockwise, from top left: tai no nanbanzuke (cold, vinegared fried snapper with onions and carrots, “nanban” style); nasu no nibitashi (eggplant braised in dashi); simmered celeriac; edamame in dashi; ocean trout wrapped in pickled radish, with su-miso sauce; whitefish and myoga nikogori; hotaru ika with pickled kelp and cucumber; bamboo leaves marinated as hijiki; kumquat yokan.

Sashimi - tai no konbujime, aji, akami, otoro, kamasu no aburi torigai, tako with sakura salt, mizudako

Owan - suimono (clear soup) with takenoko (fresh bamboo), goldeneye snapper curled like a flower, and yuzu flower

We had about 15 nigiri and a couple of maki rolls. Rice was very good - well-packed, just loose enough and body temperature, good nebari. Here are a few:
Kohada

Otoro lightly touched with charcoal just on the edges

Kinmedai, just kissed with the coals. Silken!
Ebodai - highlight of the night!

Mirugai
Ikura marinated in dashi

Anago with nitsume sauce

Pickled daikon nigiri - very refreshing!

Ume and myoga maki

Gjusta takeout the next morning, at a friend’s place. I had the prime rib butcher with extra horseradish, some classic lox, cold-smoked kanpachi, salmon belly, and marinated anchovies (they were out of my favorite oil-cured sardines). The sandwich was very good; the salmon belly was my favorite (nicely smoked and almost reminiscent of brisket!); the lox and kanpachi were a little firmer around the edges than I remember from my last visit. Still, an enjoyable meal; also snacked on the prosciutto and some some pate de campagne from Eataly.

Dinner at Izakaya Hachi in Torrance
Kampachi sashimi - creamy, not as firm as kanpachi, but good.

Batteira - awesome saba (I think they render the oils slightly first), and overall a great dish. I prefer I-naba’s rice a little more on their batteira, but Hachi’s juicy saba was well worth the drive.

Thick-cut beef tongue. Great, not chewy.

Negima with tare sauce
Grilled pork with yuzukosho
Anago kamameshi

Sashimi plate and bento box lunch at Aburiya Raku. The kanpachi and shimaaji sashimi were great. I also liked the tororo with uni, ikura, nameko mushroom, and okra - “neba neba” in a cup.

Dinner at Torimatsu in Gardena.
Toriwasa - rare chicken with wasabi, mitsuba stems, and nori in dashi sauce. Beautiful texture and I’m glad we got to try this!

Some of the ~15 skewers we had. Negima (left) was my favorite; heart and liver were also quite good.

Cha-soba. Cold, green tea-flavored soba to end.

Hot pastrami sandwich at Langer’s. Really good sandwich. The bread is key - love how it’s double-baked and the crust isn’t too hard, but the crumb is soft enough without falling apart.

My visit was slightly longer than a weekend…

Napa and New York next in the coming weeks.

10 Likes

Always call first to make sure Sergio Nguyen is cooking.

4 Likes

It’s Sergnio.

1 Like

cannot wait for some of the ID’s

1 Like

Hi @bulavinaka,

Thanks for the report back as well. Yah, Boston Lobster is not a good substitute for Newport. But even the current Newport isn’t a good substitute for Newport as it used to be. Our bad experience happened during prime dinner hour (6 p.m.) on a weekend. :frowning:

I haven’t been back to the OC Newport in a long time. I’m hoping it’s still great. Has anyone tried it recently?

Thanks @attran99. Let me know if you find out where that goat place is in Little Saigon. :slight_smile:

Thanh Mai has goat curry, the same strip mall as Le Crossiant Dore/ Ba Le

1 Like

Never had a problem at the Rowland Heights location.

1 Like

French Fry poboy too.

1 Like

Hi @BradFord,

Nice visit and report! :slight_smile:

Sounds like you had some great dining experiences this visit. :grin: How did you like Mori-san at Shiki compared to Mori-san back when he owned Mori Sushi?

For the skewers where was that from? You didn’t list the restaurant.

Oops, fixed - we ate yakitori at Torimatsu in Gardena.

We’ve sat with Hiro-san all this time (we’ve been going to Shiki for almost 4 years now), so I have not sat with Mori at Shiki yet! But, Mori was indeed busy and the bar was pretty full.

Yes, I had a good visit; thanks. But, there are still many places to visit again, probably in June. We simply couldn’t fit the other half of what we wanted in LA; we missed out on Korean, Thai, Mexican, Persian, and Taiwanese food altogether!

3 Likes

Ah, thanks @BradFord. How did you like Torimatsu? We thought it was fine / solid when we tried it a few years ago.

You’ve dined at Raku for dinner right? :wink: Just checking. :grin:

I think Torimatsu is a solid neighborhood yakitoriya that’s comfortable and a step above what I normally get in the Bay Area. We tried to do a couple of casual places (budgeting for New York) and had some business in the South Bay, anyway, and we left satisfied.

Yes, I’ve had dinner at Raku, of course :laughing: I think I like it better for dinner, anyway. Thanks to your many reports, we had a good guide and we’ve found our groove there a bit. I’d like to return more often but like I mentioned there are simply too many good places to visit in LA!

2 Likes

For clarity purposes, this is french fry poboy poutine style. @Chowseeker1999

1 Like

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Interesting food weekend.

While reading I was thinking “There is no way s/he is going to like this fried rice as much as Dragon Beaux.” :grin:

Question: What type of Chinese food would you (or anyone) say Boston Lobster is? A mix or straight ahead? Is it common to have a Vietnamese dish in a restaurant like this?

Happy Weekend Chow Seeking!

1 Like

Outstanding extended food weekend @BradFord. Thanks for sharing. Please share your upcoming Napa & New York visits!

1 Like

Hi @attran99 -

It’s interesting reading your and @Chowseeker1999’s talk on Goat Curry in an Asian context. It speaks to the conversations about what is authentic and who invented what or brought what to what country. My one and only time eating Yellow Curried Goat was in Jamaica. :slight_smile:

2 Likes