Artelice Patisserie (Sawtelle Japantown): A Pictorial Essay

Tomo has excellent iced coffee - so without bitterness it tastes almost sweet! They can run out by late afternoon.

1 Like

So why go there? I can’t imagine any meal being worth that level of condensation and disinterest.

I do not like feeling as though a chef is doing me a favor to feed me in exchange for :heavy_dollar_sign:I’ll eat elsewhere, where the chef enjoys feeding people.

Yeah, I once had a “too sweet” issue with my bowl there as well. I think Sergio was not cooking that day. Anyways, please complain to the kitchen when that happens. I did - They actually care, and wrote down the issue for Boss Popcorn to review.

2 Likes

Yes, I guess I did not explain it very fairly: their “m. o.” sounds like it is willful and - as you suggest - condescending and disinterested. That’s not really the case.
They are caring but they run a very thin operation - the husband/chef, wife/server (she may do some kitchen work as well). I think that is it, on weekdays - with another server on weekends. When I said they “ignore him” I meant it takes a while to get any attention.

I go there because (to me) it’s the best yakitori I can get without going to 30-40 minutes away (Torihei). The service is always slow and it is more expensive than Torihei, but to me that is worth it, and I don’t think it is meant to be discourteous.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of Balconi but the iced coffee at Tomo is pretty great

As it turns out I am going to yy tonight with my “regular” friend.
I plan to keep a very close eye on the time of arrival-to-ordering for this thread. Sadly, I don’t think my chronometer will permit me to calibrate time-of-ordering to actaul eating :slight_smile:

3 Likes

where is clauis kasinki ? i don’t see it.

Place was jammed on Friday.
Only the husband and wife there.
Everyone waited quite a while to get food (prob about 45 mins) and drink (prob about 20 mins).
Walk-ins - without a reservation - had to be turned away.

Food was excellent. Soboro Don was especially wonderful.

Perhaps not the right thread for this, but… I was walking by the former Ohana Burger earlier this wk, and it’s definitely closed for good. There’s gigantic signs in the window saying that “Killer Noodle” (dan dan noodles, apparently) by Tsujita will be coming soon. Not much more info on Eater LA:

I saw that Eater blurb about Killer Noodle. Since it’s from the Tsujita folks, I’m guessing it will be Japanese-Chinese food? If so, Benitora right up the street may not be long for Sawtelle.

I was wondering the exact same thing. The giant gyoza at Benitora at still great, though. While I think they’re dan-dan noodles, it’ll be interesting to see what Tsujita’s take on it is and if that encourages Benitora to up their game…

1 Like

I’m not so sure about that assessment at this time. Benitora ain’t exactly a one-trick pony. Lots of people (myself included) eat the other stuff on their menu besides their daigyoza and dan dan mian. Plus, we don’t even know if Tsujita’s DDM will suck or not.

1 Like

What else do you like there? I thought their fried rice was only so-so (pleasant, but not crave worthy). Can’t remember if partner might’ve had udon there once? (if he did, it was unexceptional enough to be unmemorable)

I like their chicken paitan broth with noodles.

1 Like

I stopped by on accident (sort of) while eating on Sawtelle. Place is legit. Had an “Exotic” and it was damn near identical in taste and flavor to ST Patisserie, except ST Patisserie has a crunchy cookie at the bottom.

Also got a cheesecake. Not too sweet, not too tangy, and a nice flavorful crust at the bottom. The texture on the crust was wonderful. The strawberry gelee inside was a bit muted, more of a strawberry punch would set this cheesecake off.

Note: I recommend eating the desserts right out of the case at the store. Like ST Patisserie, they store these pastries at the perfect temperature for optimal taste sensation IMO. The temperature at which they hold these desserts really makes a difference from my experience in both taste and texture.

Now, I wonder if they are going to offer Buche Noel?

5 Likes

How does Shin-Sen-Gumi rates along the other Sawtelle offerings? They seem to have good business and a fairly diverse menu.

I’ll ask next time I’m there.

Picked these up today. I thought the yellow was a lemon tart but passed when he said passion fruit, so he gave me a slice for free to try.

4 Likes

Fairly middlin’…

I believe he gave me two samples when I went, one was the passion fruit tart and the other was Exotic.

I like how they glue the desserts down to the box too. :grin:

1 Like

It’s actually very useful, as the desserts are like glue! My husband biked one to work and it got stuck to the sides. Not sure what makes them so sticky.

1 Like