August 2016 Weekend Rundown

I love their okonomiyaki. Eatin’ like a champ!

Very excellent everything bagel with lox schmear from Belle’s Bagels. They may be the contender for the best bagels in the city, though admittedly a smidge salty.

Belle’s Bagels
5043 York Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90042
(323) 208-9408

Please forgive this slightly NSFW photo. The mushroom beorek from Sipan Bakery was a bit bland.

The spinach beorek was perfectly tart.

Sipan Bakery
1250 W Glenoaks Blvd., Ste. C
Glendale, CA 91201
(818) 240-0699
https://sipanbakery.ordersnapp.com/home

8 Likes

ROFL! No need for apologies on photo #2. But if #3 is NSFW, that’s some serious - pliability? :laughing:

1 Like

that should be a DOTM nomination

3 Likes

I think you’re just ovary-acting.

5 Likes

Did a lil tour today.

CHAUMONT

Thanks to @Chowseeker1999’s intrepid croissant voyage, we stopped in for a croissant, almond croissant and choquette. Hot damn. Both croissants are the best versions of their kind that I’ve ever had. I was especially blown away by the regular croissant. Shatteringly flakey on the outside yet soft and buttery on the inside. The Seeker of Chow has better pictures of each than I could take.

143 S Beverly Dr.
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Tel: (310) 550-5510
http://chaumontbakery.com

TIKI TI

If you find yourself driving by Tiki Ti and realize that it’s 4pm, aka opening time, you have no choice but to stop in and grab a rare table. Everyone is so happy and the drinks are so strong and sweet. A gem.

4427 Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90027
(323) 669-9381
Cash Only
http://www.tiki-ti.com/

SALAZAR

This afternoon was a nice afternoon, wasn’t it? The kind that deserves a patio and margarita. Salazar has both of those, and so we went. The hostess said it would be a 45-60 minute wait. We wandered up to the bar to drink the time away, and not ten minutes later, we were sat. Bizarre. The rest of the service was great, with everyone seeming exceptionally friendly. For drinks, skip the flavorless margaritas and get the Modern Times sour. Food-wise, the frijoles charros was the highlight. The purple potato taco (really nice spinach) and caesar were solid too.

caesar

frijoles

chicken / al pastor / carne asada

purple potato

2490 Fletcher Dr,
Los Angeles, CA 90039
http://salazarla.com/

WHOLE FOODS 365

First time stopping by since this new store opened. The space is sparse in comparison to other Whole Foods locations. Duh. But it felt more open and less overwhelming. Lines seemed very long unless you had fewer than five items, though. Sadly, David Chang’s Ssam sauce wasn’t there, which I could have sworn I heard would be sold there.

2520 Glendale Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90039
(323) 378-3891
http://media.wholefoodsmarket.com/press/365-wfm

MAGPIES SOFT SERVE

Fuzzzzz I was not prepared for this. How good can soft serve be?? Very, very good. To the top you go, Magpie! Special shoutout to one of the dudes from Big Bang Theory and his family for not asking me for an autograph/pic and letting me eat my soft serve in peace.

blue berry cobbler / sweet cream / graham cracker streusel topping

corn almond (vegan/non-dairy) / butterscotch rice krispies topping

2660 Griffith Park Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90039
(323) 486-7094

8 Likes

What is NSFW?

[quote=“President_Mochi, post:125, topic:3912”]
Did a lil tour today.
[/quote]Nice tour dude. Funny anecdotes… And good info to boot.

Not safe for work.

1 Like

#Sushi tanaka
OOE omakase

trumpet fish head in the display case, always a good sign

kumamoto oyster with caviar

jellyfish sunomono

octopus, arugula, hearts of palm, figs

scallop, uni, caviar, truffle

aka yagara - trumpet fish

kodai - baby red snapper

aji - spanish mackerel

sake - white king salmon

sake - seared marinated salmon

kinmedai - golden eye snapper

maguro - bluefin tuna

toro

amaebi - sweet shrimp

santa barbara uni

katsuo - bonito

akamutsu - blackthroat seaperch

yakitoro - seared toro and uni

mirugai - geoduck

Isaki - threeline grunt fish

unagi - freshwater eel

anago - grilled saltwater eel

tako - ocotpus

tekka - bluefin tuna roll

tamago

the best way to end a meal, with some head

8 Likes

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:129, topic:3912”]
the best way to end a meal, with some head
[/quote]What did I say on the nomination thread? Temporarily.

Everything looks so delicious. Pictures are great. Love the perfect little drips of sauce on the plates.

1 Like

Bang^3 GCM

DTLA Cheese Shop ham, brie and butter sandwich :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Then pork, bean and cheese pupusa

Chased with a pastrami Reuben at Wexler :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I finally made it to Smorgasburg today and indulged in all my favorite carbs. I started off with the sweet potato taco from Guerrilla Tacos. The caramelized sweet potato, crunchy almonds, sweet corn, and the salinity of the feta worked so harmoniously.

Next up was a zucchini flatbread from Bub and Grandma’s Bread. I’ve been a fan of this bakery for some time - ever since I discovered that they supply the bread for a couple of my favorite haunts: Dune and Wax Paper Co.

Zucchini can often be flavorless, but the thin slices on this flatbread were unbelievably luscious and flavorful. The flatbread had just the right heft and chew. Trust me, no crust was wasted! I’m looking forward to breaking into the baguette tomorrow, accompanied by some good, runny cheese and a bowl of homemade fennel/potato soup.

And of course I didn’t have enough carbs yet… Last was a fig, raspberry, and custard babelette from Rucker’s Pie. The flakiness of the crust seriously had me swooning! I loved how the tartness of the raspberries offset the honeyed figs and the rich custard. How’s a girl supposed to go back to regular food after this?!

10 Likes

Wow that pie sounds amazing!

2 Likes

Nicole Rucker pulled out all the stops with that babelette!

1 Like

Hopefully she makes that again while the ingredients are still in season.

Rucker is also slinging her biscuits at DTLA Cheese at GCM. I was tempted to grab some but was stuffed. They looked quite good.

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for the tip about the biscuits at GCM! I hope you do get to to try that babelette; it was swoon-worthy.

Delicious report.

1 Like

My weekend trip to Cleveland taking my son back to Oberlin College

9 Likes

Are those potato stuffed pierogi ? Stuffed cabbage has got to be one of my favorites . I want that plate of food . Reminds me of my grandma’s cooking .