Bäcoshop, Josef Centeno's Culver City fast-casual restaurant, opens Thursday

I think you’re probably right. But it’s kind of silly to pay $9 for a three bite sandwich; if you have an appetite, you’ll end up spending twice that to feel full, and that $18 will buy you a lot at lunch in DTCC.

1 Like

Bites aren’t the most reliable metric. :wink:

It’s been a while since I was at Baco Mercat, and 2/3 was possibly too charitable, but the ones at Bacoshop seemed to me like more than 1/3 the size of the originals. At least half in my estimation.

I suspect you’ll be in a better position to make this comparison. Looking forward to your report.

Idk if it’s worth going there for me weirdly enough lol

The Baco Cheese Melt actually intrigues me the most on the menu haha

Judging by the Yelp photos, which is not foolproof by any means, I would say they definitely look way smaller. Even the shot on their own website in the hand of the chef makes them look substantially smaller than the original behemoths. I am 6’5" lanky guy…I have fairly large hands, I can easily palm a basketball for example, and I find it essentially impossible to hold the original Baco’s at Mercat with one hand comfortably.

In contrast, this photo from a woman on Yelp makes them seem at least half the size (women typically have smaller hands it seems like; and the Baco fits really comfortably in hers it seems):

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/bäcoshop-culver-city?select=Bff9nDMIPYDU1NYKoAMASA

At a pricepoint of $8, when the original at Mercat is like $11, and the Toron only $15 it seems a bit tough to justify…

If you add avo and a Baco filling to the cheese melt it’s $13, but might approach the ridiculousness of the originals.

The rest of the Baco’s all seem pleasant enough, but quite paired down compared to the originals; and the thing that has always been so magical about the original Baco’s to me was their supremacy as extremely hedonistic ultra-fusion flavor bombs, whereas the ones at the shop seem more like healthy, unique sandwiches to grab quickly. Perfect if you work in Culver City and need to grab a healthy, tasty, quick lunch. But I’m not sure it’s destination-worthy.

If I were a guessing man (which I am), I would guess 1/3.

Nah.

That seems about right from the pictures.

It would be great if they were also 1/3 the price =/

So the Baco Melt sucks?

I defer to @President_Mochi.

(But only because he threatened fiery death if I refused. :grin:)

1 Like

I went today and would go back. Had the roast pork baco. The pork was really flavorful and I do love that flatbread. Is it at the level of the original? no, not close but as a quick bite it was good and felt like a good light lunch with a small salad (I had the cucumber yogurt?). If you are a big eater or a teenager you def need two but one and a side is fine for a smaller portion.

2 Likes

So the Baco Melt sucks?<<

Who you be channelin’, Willis? :wink: He’s been awful nice lately - no eggin’ on… :innocent:

That is exactly what the menu looks to be.

That is truly not what the originals are, though.

But OTOH, I wouldn’t mind it becoming a true fast casual concept. If I could hit up a Bacoshop for quick lunches while working at a coffee shop I definitely would. I just don’t really ever work in Culver City.

Idk what this means, but I would like to know because the melt is the only reason I’m considering carving out some time to go there possibl next week haha

1 Like

You keep on keepin’ on! Your posts are excellent, sir.

I wouldn’t say sucks cause it’s really just a quesadilla, which is pretty much always good. But it does kinda suck for $12 (if you add one of the “baco fillings”). And it also isn’t near as good as anything I had at Baco Mercat for a similar price point.

And I would like to humbly defer said deference back to @Bigmouth, from whom all blessings (and sandwiches) flow.

2 Likes

Okay wow I think you guys are right. Those bacos at Bacoshop are even smaller than I remembered. Here’s the yogurt chicken bacorrito with my hand. For reference, I’m 6’1" and can palm a basketball, too.

I still loved the yogurt chicken and the place was again hopping at lunch. A bacorrito plus side set me back $14 and filled me up for lunch.

That said, I do see why fans Baco Mercat might be underwhelmed. The fillings lack the depth of flavor they have at the original. The whole CC operation is more Chipotleized, with the emphasis on getting food out quickly. Also, the veggies were nowhere near as flavorful as at Baco Mercat.

Even if it’s not destination dining like the original, however, it’s still a welcome addition to the area.

1 Like

You are definitely getting drafted in the first 2 rounds if there is ever a FTC pickup hoops game on the playground (2.0)…

I wonder if there’s a lot of height here?