Bad News at Xi'an Restaurant

Finally made it here for lunch due to good reviews from FN, Sage and Doctor. Noodles were really good, maybe best Chinese noodles in SD, better than green China grill. 2 Chinese places that people here seem to mostly like–Village Kitchen and now Xi’an and some hot pot places I’ve yet to try. Very encouraging and thanks to all who posted about Xi’an.

I asked about the chef who was in the accident. Still in the hospital, quite serious and very sad.

Just a comment on the delectable biang biang bowl at Xi’an. I think the idea is to constantly keep stirring the noodles with the “gravy” at the bottom, to coat them. At least that’s what I did, with good results. Best noodle dish I’ve had in years.

P.S. Thanks for the update on the injured chef, RD.

Doc,

Don’t overthink things.

This is peasant food at its best. Sort of like the papperdelle version of Dan Dan Mian, or perhaps the Shanxi version of Dan Dan Mian, or maybe the evil twin wheat brother of liang-pi.

Traditionally, it was just a way to get carbs into the body in a tasty (or at least non-flavorless way) without breaking the budget (read: without using meat, or large amounts of meat).

Your question is sort of like asking where the patty and lettuce are in a grilled cheese sandwich. They’re not there, and they’re not supposed to be there.

Just sit back, enjoy the sturdy toothsome nature of the “noodles” (or flappy wonton skins, if you prefer), the chili oil, and the “excuse me” sprinkling of scallions.

Some things in life are just simple. And should be enjoyed that way, without overthinking it.

No argument that I have a tendency to overthink things. But it does make for discussion. You have a much broader and deeper understanding of Asian food than I (and food in general). Kind of like DD with Mexican. So you recognized this dish as “peasant food”, as you put it. I didn’t, and so was anticipating at least a little meat. Your explanation is very logical. I was not, in any case, disappointed; I enjoyed the bowl immensely.

Also, your alternative description of the biang biang noodles as “flappy wonton skins” describes them pretty well! They do taste great when stirred into the “gravy” on the bottom.

I’m glad you enjoyed it.

My concern, Doc, was I didn’t want you to have the impression that somehow you were eating it wrong. Like eating a NYC slice with knife and fork. [gasp!]

Just FYI.

Xi’an is now Noodle Hut.

Generally same menu and gratis Shanxi bread (or 泡馍).

I saw somewhere (maybe Eater) that Noodle Hut had opened a couple of weeks ago, but don’t recall that it was the Xi’an ownership. Interesting. Noodle Hut was on my list to try. I wonder why they changed their name.

Gather 'round the good stuff!

Different owners.

Thanks, that makes more sense.