BAGELS.... and more bagels

I still haven’t gotten over I & Joy—those were the best LA bagels.

3 Likes

You got that right. The original I & Joy were the best. In the early 90s the original was recreated by Malibu Bread & Bagel, but after 4 years it folded. Still it was the La Barbera’s of bagels in LA. The only thing remotely close is Bagel Nosh but it is far from the original I & Joy or Malibu Bread & Bagel. “Bagel Bill” Brier was at the helm of both.

1 Like

Had to post a few of the photos I took at Original Brooklyn Water Bagel in BH (though I am not kidding when I say I am eating a bagel from NYB&D right this second as I am uploading this!!!)

1 Like

Gjusta’s Bialys….onion Poppy, sesame, and sesame cracked rye.

3 Likes

That’s Larry King’s place. He does a good job. Its a real, kettle boiled bagel. He lived at Nate & Al’s forever before he opened this place. Still not as good as Bagel Nosh.

2 Likes

Is Bagel Nosh in BH the same as Santa Monica? Curious because there have been lots of places called Bagel Nosh and they all seem different (we had a version in Miami too). I like the SM Nosh, can’t beat the breakfast deals. Bagels are a tad breadier than Original Brooklyn WB but really good.

Original Brooklyn WB is as close to what I grew up with back east (since I & Joy is gone).

I believe they are not the same owner.

Thanks for the info. I’m gonna give them a try!

Nope. I verified. Years ago they were the same owner, but its been some time. I have not been to the one in SM, but the BH Nosh does great bagels.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll try them and report back how they compare to SM.

I had a cracking onion bagel with lox and cream cheese from New York Bagel and Deli today. It had that nice chew that I had been missing.

I went to the Bagel Factory last week, and that was a perfectly serviceable bagel, but nothing to write home about - pretty much standard issue.

I used to be a fan of Brooklyn Bagel Bakery on Beverly in the Westlake neighborhood of LA, but they’ve been out of commission recently due to structural issues with their building. I do believe they’re still manufacturing for wholesale.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve eaten bagels all over the city since my last contribution to this thread and today finally went back to Original Brooklyn Water Bagel in BH. I’m convinced they are the closest to the bagels we had back east. Better IMHO to I & Joy, which I was at several times per week buying by the dozen.

The outside is just a little crispy, great chew, but not like bread. Kettle boiled.

They were perfect today (except maybe for an air pocket in one – see photo). They are pretty big too.

I give you: The Salt Bagel

8 Likes

I think they are really good, very close to Murray’s bagels from New York.

They are definitely better than the disgusting bagels I had last at H & H years ago.

1 Like

Surprisingly those didn’t sell. Those pumpernickel were my favorite, too. Shame. I went to Westchester sometime after the BH location stopped making them. Westchester still had them. Wonder if that’s still the case.

I like them a lot. They kettle boil and do it right. Their fish selection is very limited. Good salt. The Nosh also does a very good bagel (also in BH) and is a full deli.

1 Like

That is STILL the place I need to get to. I was meeting someone there a few weeks back and they had to cancel last minute.

It looks like Brooklyn Bagel Bakery has reopened their retail. See new reviews on Yelp.

If you’re willing to order 24 bagels then try Pop’s Bagels.

What makes a bagel a “New York” bagel? I mean, Noah’s claims to be a “New York bagel” so I can only assume it means any non-glazed or non-frosted bread with a hole in it.

ISTR a long-ago thread about this on ba.food. Most people didn’t consider the breadlike objects at Noah’s to be bagels. A proper bagel needed to be boiled before baking. Steaming didn’t count.

3 Likes