BAGELS.... and more bagels

Noah’s serves BINO. A “New York” bagel is traditionally crustier and chewier.

My go-to for bagels is Wexler’s. Nice crust but slightly airier than traditional NY style. They’re supposedly baked by NY Bagel & Deli but taste better than the ones I tried at the National location.

What is BINO?

Bagel In Name Only :wink:

Ah. Totally agree – haven’t had one in years.

I was being facetious I guess LOL! I don’t consider Noah’s a bagel or anything else :slight_smile: Western aren’t bagels to me, though I’ll eat them because they are tasty bread-thingies.

Have you tried the SaMo location? I don’t know much about “real” NY bagels, but I find the ones from SaMo very satisfying (or, at least I did 6 mos ago, which was prob the last time I had one). The freeze well and are lovely when toasted… :slight_smile: Haven’t tried the National location myself since the SaMo one is very close.

1 Like

Anyone tried Bagel Broker on Beverly near Fairfax?

I used to work a couple streets away and would walk over and p/u bagels. It’s been a while since I’ve been there. They are pretty good–but jumbo sized. Not as chewy as Sam’s and I think I would also give Sam’s the edge on flavor. it’s a decent option if your in the neighborhood.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I have not. I’ll have to give them a try and compare.

Yes - Brooklyn Bagel is back open for retail! Just reopened last week.

Prices have gone up but bagels are still FAB - so I am happy.

Many Gelsons carry Brooklyn bagels so, if you don’t want to drive, you can call your nearest Gelsonsl see where they get their bagels from, and take it from there :yum:

4 Likes

Correct. Steamed bread.

This is kindof off-topic, and I apologize in advance. Years ago I worked with the son of the owners of Brooklyn Bagel and he eventually took over the business. I lost track of him quite a while ago (moved to OC, etc.) but tried to find him a few years ago. I called the shop and was told that he’d sold and they didn’t want to give me any contact info. If anyone here happens to know how to reach Richard I’d really appreciate it.

I went to Brooklyn Bagel Bakery this morning.

I hate to say this… I think they were possibly the worst bagels I’ve had out here… ok, Noah’s is worse.

Some were a slightly doughier version of Western Bagel, and the everything seemed like they needed more baking.

The salt, I mean salt/poppy (huh?) were definitely day old. They were like hockey pucks.

Also, a 3oz bagel? These are “Fun Size” not bagel-sized. $1.50 each. A tiny 8-oz cream cheese, barely enough to cover 5 bagels is $6.00.

The only thing I liked were the bialys. These reminded me of what I got back east.

Oh, and last week I had Bagel Broker. They were easily better to this east coast Jew.

So disappointed since I’ve wanted to try these for years.

3 Likes

that’s so sad. I was going to head over there today but didn’t feel like going out in the cold and wind. I love a good bialy and will check those out when I finally get over there.

Glad you liked Bagel broker. Have you tried Sam’s?

I tried Sam’s Larchmont years ago. I liked them. Are they still there?

I haven’t had a bagel from there under the current ownership. Anyone here able to compare?

yup. they moved a little further north up Larchmont to a slightly larger storefront. the bagels have grown a bit in size (not a plus in my opinion) but they’re still pretty good.

1 Like

Thanks! I think I’ll hit them up again and see how they rate to me.

1 Like

Been a long time and decided to make the trek back to Original Brooklyn Water Bagel on Beverly Dr. in BH.

Yeah, worth the trip. Got a dozen. Only problem was the hot bagels steamed a lot of them. The one I had fresh, in the car, was crispy outside and chewy as hell inside. As a Jew, I need the chew.

These blew the crap out of Brooklyn Bagel Bakery and their bite size hockey pucks (aka day old bagels they try to pass off as fresh to unsuspecting customers) or soft bread nuggets. And at $14 and change for a bakers dozen they cost 25% less and are 25% larger.

5 Likes