BAGELS.... and more bagels

A tape measure, I love it! :smiley:

3 Likes

LOL! Industrial tools for an industrial job. :smiley:

freshly baaaakeed…mmmmmm… @popsbagel

3 Likes

that looks tasty! a little puffy (could be the angle of the photo), but the color and texture look good!

super puffy… multiple issues with the bagels… confirmed with with a second one though lol

On the Westside, my go to bagel choices remain the dark pumpernickel from Sams on Main or a pletzel from NY Bagel and Deli. Never seen it anywhere else throughout my manyworldwide Jewish delis and bakery travels. It’s essentially a flattened bialy with a crisp undercarriage akin to a pizza crust. Anyone else know it?

Yep! Used to live on them in Cleveland and Miami and when I moved here I Used to get them at I&Joy. Many of the former I&Joy bagel locations like New York Bagel and Deli on Wilshire, Abraham Bagel in Encino and some of the Manhattan Bagel shops I think still do them.

Original Brooklyn Water Bagel does a flatter bagel they call a flagel.

Bea’s Bakery does what we called an onion board. It’s flat too but it’s more of a roll texture.

Since I know you are on the lookout, I’ll keep my eyes open.

As I suspected. Abraham Bagel in Encino.

1 Like

Seriously?
My family has been eating pletzels for decades.
We used to get them on the Lower East Side when we lived in NY but plenty of places have them on both coasts and in between.
Beuller’s on Olympic and Westwood has excellent pletzels.

2 Likes

He’s a righteous dude.

3 Likes

Pletzels also exist in Cleveland.

1 Like

Here is the answer.

“Bagel That” Is a device that makes any piece of bread a bagel. I’m sure Noah’s and Western have been using this tool for years.

Is it April 1st already?!

1 Like

Pletzel from New York Bagel and Deli. Had one today.

4 Likes

Never been to Pop’s bagels but he’s opened at the Platform in Culver City. Didn’t Ipsedixit mention this place?

“ OUR BAGELS ARE LIGHT AND CHEWY YET NEVER DENSE LIKE SOME NY BAGELS” — not sure that’s a selling point (cough)Noah’s.

Yeah… they are more Noah’s like… They are based on his Dad’s recipe… and his did wasn’t a huge fan of New York “Like Tearing a Phone Book” style. It’s not bad… just not NY Style…

1 Like

I don’t lighter ones, but I just can’t w/ the Platform… But perhaps curiosity will get the better of me…

1 Like

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. Sounds like a hard pass, for me.

This makes me so sad. Can I talk you out of this lol?

Hank’s, A Deli Of Sorts in Toluca Lake

It’s hard to hard to find great bagel in Los Angeles. You have to be willing to drive a bit Though in all fairness this seems to be changing. Many more “real bagel” options than when I first moved here from back East.

So when I heard about Hank’s, I was Skeptical, that maybe it will turn out to be another Noah’s or Einstein, places that some people seem to think is a bagel. But Hank’s was a pleasant surprise. A true contender. One of the best bagels I’ve had out here.

I got a salt bagel. That’s what I judge bagel places by. The outside was crusty, yet really crispy (not crunchy hard), and the inside is chewy but not doughy and not too soft. Actually in my opinion it is almost perfect texture. Really fantastic!!

They are definitely on the pricey side. My bagel with cream cheese was $4. It’s $23 for a baker’s dozen. $5 for an 8oz cream cheese.

My only complaint about the bagel, is that they do this thing where they are afraid to put too many toppings on the bagel.

My salt bagel had some flaky kosher salt on it, not coarse salt like I’m used to getting. It was very lightly covered. The underside had no salt at all. So after you eat one half that is slightly salty, you’re left with another half that is well… a plain bagel. I will never understand that. If you put more salt on it, people can always scrape off what they don’t want.

When I go to a pizza place and order a pepperoni pizza, if it only had one piece of pepperoni right in the center, I would be slightly disappointed. I think the bagel bakers from Hank’s would feel that way as well.

I don’t know if they do this with the onion or everything bagels, but this is enough for me to ding them a bit.

I will say this. $1.75 to add cream cheese but they really lather it on. I eat bagels open-faced, they serve them closed. But you can see after you open it up, there’s enough cream cheese for two bagels. Wonder why they aren’t so generous with the salt.

The service was excellent. Super friendly super accommodating, I love it. They are handling the pandemic with great care and caution. You can feel safe going here. The handle all transactions outdoors.

Btw, they are opening another location in Studio City on Ventura Blvd.

Order online, pick up at the table outside. No one is allowed inside.

I would definitely come here again, even disappointed with the lack of salt on my salt bagel because it’s still better than 99% of the bagel places here in Los Angeles.

https://www.hanksbagels.com/

12 Likes

Bang bang with Lou’s down the street.

Thx for the review. Been on my list but I’m cheap.

5 Likes