Bakeries that Sell Real Hamburger Buns or English Muffins?

Bless your heart!!!

I hope my reply didn’t sound snippy! I wish I was confident enough to give it a shot. It does sound very doable for the bakers out there. Thank you.

2 Likes

LOL. I describe myself as “yeast-phobic” and at the not-so-tender age of 69 I keep hoping I’ll get over it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course, no offense taken. I both cook and bake - a result of freelance employment often leaving me with too much time to devote to hobbies.

2 Likes

@ebethsdad How long would you bake said hot dog buns? I’d be interested in trying this out.

The same as the hamburger buns. I proof them in oiled baguette pans, and then bake them as I would hamburger buns. It has significantly cut down on my consumption of hot dogs (even Boars Head Natural Casing Franks - and I love hot dogs) as I can’t take commercial buns any more. Flour, yeast, and water are cheap - although time is not - play with it, and I am sure you will better my results. Please continue this discussion on the Home Cooking category as I don’t want to hijack a thread, yet again, and get the blue-faced guy mad at me. Freezing yeasted dough

1 Like

Huckleberry does indeed have English muffins, but at prices that will make you cringe. Try making them at home and you’ll never look back. They are easy to make, inexpensive, all the ingredients are usually on hand and they freeze beautifully.

http://ruhlman.com/2010/12/english-muffins-recipe/

The french bakery at the Mar Vista Farmers Market has EXCELLENT english muffins.

–Dommy!

No way! The older French man and his son? (Next to the lonely vegan bakery man?) I buy their baguettes every week, their other breads are good too, but I never noticed English muffins.

Yeah. Although I always get helped by a young lady. It’s the large stand of all sorts of pastries. Up front, they have both regular and whole wheat english muffins. They do sell out quick though, so you can ask them for a custom order.

–Dommy!

1 Like

This weekend I continued my quest by following a couple of the recommendations made here.

On Saturday I picked up four English muffins ($2.75 each) at Huckleberry. On Sunday I stopped at the Mar Vista Farmers Market French bakery stand, as recommended by @Dommy, and bought a bag of muffins (six for $5) and also some brioche hamburger buns (I forget what these cost, ~ $5-$6).

Huckleberry muffins to the left and farmers market muffins to the right.

While the Huckleberry muffins were good, chewy and dense, they didn’t have any nooks and crannies.

The farmers market muffins were also good, like a better version of supermarket muffins. I preferred these, because I liked the nooks and crannies getting crisp and crunchy.

Farmers market brioche hamburger buns.

Nice sesame and poppy seeds, but a bit of a disaster. Very dry and crumbly, I could barely butter them. Definitely a pass.

The hunt continues.

2 Likes

Nice Fresh brioche hamburger (and hot dog too) buns at Bristol Farms.

3 Likes

Ah! I missed the part where you were looking for Brioche Buns for your burger. If that is the case, you can special order them from the guys at Homeboy at the Farmers Market. They have excellent buns.

Glad you liked the English Muffins! :slight_smile:

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Lodge Bakery just posted on their FaceBook page that they have Sourdough Brioche Buns today. They sure LOOK good!

1 Like

@sel Grrrr… I just saw this. I’ll keep an eye out for those.

For anyone in South OC, Pavillions has carried buns from Sadie Rose Bakery(San Diego). Or at least they used to. They were brioche and pretzel IIRC. Didn’t see them last time I was there but hope they still do.

I got some Rockenwager pretzel buns and brioche buns this week, two 3-packs, one of each, came to $11.75.

Here is a picture of the pretzel buns, I grilled them and topped them with bratwurst and beetroot horseradish and dill marmalade. The guys really liked these, and the buns held up to the sausage nicely.
Quick snap because everyone wanted to eat.

The Rockenwager brioche buns were smaller than the farmers market buns, but much better. Good crumb and chewy top. No seeds. I made turkey burgers with chopped red peppers, onions and jalapeños, mixed with some leftover Belcampo ground beef for the brioche buns. Another bad photo, for the same reason noted above.

5 Likes

[quote=“Bookwich, post:21, topic:3898”]
they didn’t have any nooks and crannies. because I liked the nooks and crannies getting crisp and crunchy.
[/quote]Finally someone mentions nooks and crannies. Great!

1 Like

We are perfectly happy with the kaiser rolls and/or onion rolls from Ralphs when we’re having the big Gardenburgers. For me, however, the magic moment came and went when Trader Joe’s had ciabatta buns, as well as four-to-a-package grass-fed Steakburger (as they were called) patties. Together they gave me just about the best burger I have ever eaten, let alone cooked; while they were available I was eating burgers about three times as frequently as I am supposed to be allowed, so when first the buns and then the Steakburgers disappeared I suspected some elaborate intervention (on the part of my physician, Mrs. O, and maybe the Trilateral Commission) had just taken place to save me from myself. Well, even Ralphs has grass-fed beef now, but the only ciabatta role I can find are sized just a tad too generously for your average burger patty … although maybe right for a half-pounder? H’mmmm.

3 Likes

That’s the thing about TJ’s. When you find something you like you better stock up. Because it can be discontinued.

3 Likes