Banned from Chowhound?

[quote=“catholiver, post:287, topic:114”]
“Google is your friend”
[/quote]What does that mean?

It means that I asked a question - IIRC, it had to do with drive time between a particular spot on the NorCal coast to a spot in the wine country - and “Google is your friend” means “you’re too fucking lazy to Google this and expect me to answer you.”

Oooh… Some posters probably think that when I ask for locations. But really. If you’re posting something isn’t it to refer others? Why not give the city or neighborhood?

I think you’re misunderstanding just a bit, but the point is pretty much the same. Sometimes people seem a bit ‘needy’ in their questions and it can take some effort to give them the benefit of the doubt. Unless the poster has posted enough for you to have some idea about them, they could be 10 or have some issues, ir??? I think I’ve actually posted “Google is your friend” myself but hope I did it as part of a post that ‘gave someone fish as well as teaching them HOW to fish’.

If Melanie were being paid by CH I’d say she’d be out of line to seem to be talking down to any poster. But, given how much activity I see from her there, if she isn’t paid then I can come close to sympathizing
if she gets a little pissy from time to time when someone seems to be asking for something that they could very easily find on their own. Not really an excuse, but it can happen.

In fairness to Melanie, I’ve always thought she was pretty much the most active poster in the Bay Area and was really very informative. Lately she seems to be trying to hold that board together with her own chewing gum.

5 Likes

SHE wasn’t being asked about this. IIRC steve h was on his annual jaunt to the Bay Area and was getting info about somewhere over on the coast and some place else quite a bit farther east (both in Sonoma Co.). I wondered, trying to help HIM, how far a drive it is since it’s backroads. She could have kept her mouth shut. Be assured I saw plenty more like that.

Any time I think of posting something like “Google is your friend,” I back away from the keyboard slowly.

Ignoring people is how I forgive them. :sleeping:

(I can’t remember who I am replying here.)

3 Likes

I’m in Camp Ignore now, but I’ve spent plenty of time in Camp Look It Up Your Damn Self. Here I am being a nice person and keeping my fat mouth shut.

4 Likes

I am amazed at your restraint. Good thing CH doesn’t allow emojis. Cuz :fu:

Yoga. Also, apathy.

4 Likes

Realize too that the worst of us suffered suspensions! The dreaded “note from a moderator.”

I assume we all got the same one . Apparently they sent me a bunch of warnings to my other email sight which I never opened . I never did read the note . I was a goner anyway .

2 Likes

If I’m ever bored enough, I’ll look in old mail and see if I have at least the final final :slight_smile:

Yah… I shouldn’t comment on someone I don’t know. She might be a lovely person. I did receive a response on CH from a poster asking me not to leave, after I vented about how frustrating it had become. It was sweet. Maybe it was from her.

I can’t judge Melanie Wong without knowing her. I can tell you how I handle harmless but annoying posters. If I’ve given a lot of info and they’re starting to get on my nerves, I stop answering or say “I don’t know.” I like teasing posters I’ve come to know and like. But I really don’t like snark as a means of communication. Especially when the person is just being a little needy but otherwise harmless. It’s not like they’re a family member you have to deal with everyday.

If someone is being a dick or a bully I have no problem letting them know. Especially if I see it happening to someone else. I don’t like it.

I just don’t understand this defending someone by saying “They’re not getting paid for all the info they give.” So. Nobody is forcing them to be on CH or any other board or blog.

Yes @catholiver is observant and curious. I actually appreciate her questioning me on the Home Cooking threads. She sees things in my recipes I may have forgotten or didn’t know. She’s my FTC food editor :relaxed:.

Anyway, that’s how I see things.

1 Like

First of all, I’m an info junkie and a ‘sponge’ when it comes to info. Any info. Even though I’m a “senior citizen,” I was a real newbie to any kind of ‘serious’ cooking. And CHs and now FTCs have so generously walked me through a gazillion things. I could look through early posts and cite so many, many examples of great help. So when some people ask, they’re not be lazy; they don’t even know how to phrase a question.

2 Likes

[quote=“catholiver, post:300, topic:114”]
The dreaded “note from a moderator.”
[/quote]I got one of those.

ONE??? What a lightweight :slight_smile: I got suspended probably four times…at least. And BFLd twice. (I sucked my way back in once :slight_smile: )))

2 Likes

Well… I mostly spent time chatting with the genteel cookbook people. Just when I got in with the DOTM club, everybody left for FTC, Hungry Onion & eGullet.

2 Likes

Must be nice to have multiple lifetimes. :wink:

2 Likes

very clever

Not banned, but looking for a new home. The gestapo seems to be onto me, I’m getting posts deleted for no reason.

I think my first account was banned a long time ago, like 2008 or so, but I probably deserved it.

1 Like