Banned from Chowhound?

Oooh, Robert got sent to his room to think about it! (I’ve been in my room thinking about it since 9/12!) And yes, having the “See All” disabled is a PITA, and one reason why I’ve barely read CH while I’ve been sitting in my corner, thinking about it.

They really make you repeat their Email back to them? Such as “I promise to abide by the guidelines.”?

I think that’s what I find most bizarre about their moderation style. Don’t get me wrong; I love food. But we’re still “just” talking about food, not giving away nuclear launch codes. =P

5 Likes

Pretty much. I can’t remember exactly what I said but something along the lines of what you wrote.

Yeah, and there’s no paraphrasing – I paraphrased it, and Laurel came back and said something along the lines of appreciating the response, but they really needed to hear that I would promise to abide by the guidelines.

She wanted the exact. fucking. mantra.

So frigging weird.

But I kept gritting my teeth and repeating the fucking mantra, because I hadn’t found another place to discuss food with intelligent, like-minded people.

That problem has been solved :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

SO freaking childish on their part.

3 Likes

They honestly didn’t even tell me they were exiling me. Just a WAVE of their evil wand and I was gone!!! And that was mere seconds after leaving the offending post. Oh, I had been “warned” before. Maybe TPTB had me on their watch list.

Oh, they certainly have a “list.” Back in the olden days we bad kids would get deleted SO fast. But for suspensions or BFL we always got a boiler plate, snotty note. I think they’re being very clear that they don’t want the likes of you and others one little bit.

True enough. But what’s that expression about “biting the hand that feeds you”? Half of us are or will be banned; the other half will find little of interest left to stay for.

I still believe - based on nothing :slight_smile: - that they are quaking in their Birkenstocks having had no idea that the reaction would be THIS strong. When criticism is given they just say thanks for your feedback and then lock the thread. If you look at the lists of ST threads about the only ones not locked are debugging ones. It would be so honest if georges would say “this is how it is and this is how it’s going to be so get the fuck out if you can’t take it.”

1 Like

I had posted a question to the Food Media board asking if the board header (" Weigh in on TV shows, blogs, podcasts, magazines and newspapers, recipe sites, and any other food-related media that’s out there.") was still accurate. My thinking was that “food-related media” would, by definition, include other food-related websites. When they banned me, they also deleted that entire thread.

I somehow managed to avoid being “banned,” but lord knows how many time I received emails from the mods deleting my post(s) and warning me about violations . . . the last one was when I quoted lyrics from The Who – reprinted here in its entirety:

I’ll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I’ll get on my knees and pray
We don’t get fooled again
Don’t get fooled again
No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss Georges
Same as the old boss Georges . . .

3 Likes

"The cute girl with the overly cherubic dimpled fucking cheeks was the fucking nail in the proverbial coffin for me.

Just joking."

I noticed that she changed profile from a picture of her face to a cartoon bunny or something shortly before they rolled out the beta site. I am sure she did that knowing how angry people were going to get at the new site. I glad she changed it. I did not like her much from her first introduction (just too cutesy for me) but I would hate for her to get hurt by some internet crazy. Maybe I am just internet paranoid but I would not want my image connected to the running of that site.

2 Likes

i believe that the reason she took down her picture is that many of us started referring to her as DIMPLES and she didn’t like her new name.

clearly she is not located anywhere near Los Angeles, because she didn’t know anything about how the place is laid out nor about any of the restaurants in LA.
really, i don’t think there is any credible reason to worry about her well-being.

1 Like

I just read this whole thread and can only say this: WOW. I wasn’t planning to return to Chowhound, I certainly won’t, now.

2 Likes

Never banned, just fed up. Thanks Robert for setting this up and it is good to see some familiar posters!

3 Likes

Dimples. LoL. That would have made me change the picture too.

1 Like

Well, hey, scoop! GREAT to see you. Where are y’all ‘based’ these days?

1 Like

This is almost as good as a Rolling Stones reunion! :hand:

6 Likes

Not as far as I know, I haven’t, but with the new site turned into the Las Vegas Strip and basically rendered devoid of user-friendliness (oh, and ugly too), I was ready to bail out forever … especially since that’s how long it was taking to load on this elderly iMac. And now that I’ve seen what pricks they’ve turned into that’s it. I’m banning them.

Hi, kids. Nice to see y’all here!

Will O.

9 Likes