Banned from Chowhound?

THE Will O as in pork shoulder recipe WO???

1 Like

Great to see you here, @nashwill! Was really hoping you’d wander over at some point. (Btw - your name is famous around here, as we live close to Plate 38 and often had a laugh at the “Best Burger in Town” banner featuring your review.)

@ catholiver: As in the IT’S REALLY NOT MY RECIPE, JUST ADAPTED FROM THE L.A.TIMES!! Will O. And (Hi, Elsie) I got really really tired of that Best Burger banner still up there a year after I’d found two or three better ones … I even tried talking about it with the chef/owner, but he apparently decided I was trying to cadge a free meal (though I carefully waited until I’d paid my tab) so all I got was some generalized bragging and a bit of an argument about the short ribs I’d just eaten, insisting (idiotically) that boneless is better. I’ve not been back since (except to Lupita’s next door), and the damned sign is long gone.

1 Like

Oh, goody gumdrops! We HAVE arrived. xo,c

1 Like

Let’s get this fucking shindig started.

1 Like

Hey all. This seems to be not only the place to tell war stories but also the default meet & greet section of FTC.

I’m not currently banned on CH. I almost never post anything these days though. Was banned at one point a while ago for telling another user that she sucked - I was actually kind of surprised at the time, as I thought her suckage was just common knowledge.

I’d certainly be willing to be banned again if I could come up with a post worth being banned for…

2 Likes

I was suspended for daring to mention the name of another forum in the Philly tag, when people were wondering where everyone was at! Admittedly when I saw they were deleting any post that dare mentioned this other forum by name I decided to poke the bear and said I’d keep posting this information over and over until they suspended me, and viola!

I was told I could be reinstated if I would follow the rules. I told them to shove it and that I’d delete my entire account and history there if I could. Anyway. Hello!

Boston and NYC!

1 Like

I never had the distinction of being banned, guess i could still try for it tho. Glad that I did see a CH post about this site before the post disappeared. Thanks for the clean and tidy refuge!

1 Like

I’m glad I got banned when it was still a rare thing. Versus suspended which I got several times also. Now it’s such a common occurrence :slight_smile:

Insulting other users is one of the few things that might get you on probation here. If somebody’s being enough of a dick that it seems like a problem, flag their posts.

If necessary, rather than banning anyone I could configure Discourse so that trust level 0 requires moderator approval, and if someone’s being a dick set their account to that trust level, but I’m happy that that has not been necessary so far.

In fairness Robert, we’re talking one episode maybe 4 years ago, and it wasn’t much of an insult. As I said, I was surprised it got me suspended.

I am curious exactly where the line will be drawn in interpersonal disagreements, as that’s something all forums have to sort out at some point: saying your argument is ill-conceived vs saying your argument is stupid vs implying you yourself are in fact stupid vs saying outright that you’re stupid vs saying you’re a fucking idiot vs saying your mom is stupid and perhaps ugly. But you can rest assured that I wasn’t planning on being the first to test out that line personally.

1 Like

Excellent Cowboy! We’re in the courtship stage but it always happens, doesn’t it?

1 Like

Avoiding the word “you” when posting an opinion that differs with someone else’s is a good place to start.

2 Likes

Unbelievable. I just made a post in a CH thread responding to a (food-related) topic that I’d already posted on here. I said “I’ve already posted on this topic, Google it” and also told the OP to look at my profile, which says that I’m also travelmad478 on FTC. Within minutes, my post was deleted. I assume I’ll be banned by the end of the day under the new Stalinist regime. The walls have ears…

Keep us posted. LOL. I’m sure they have certain words flagged.

Chowhound’s guidelines do say “Please don’t spam our community with information about your restaurant, product or blog. It’s okay to talk about them here, but please participate in the conversation, don’t just come here to post a bunch of self-promotional items.”

They don’t say anything against discussing competing sites, and they never removed any such posts before the botched makeover.

The formal Terms of Use are 404: Big Brother Live Feed | CBS Entertainment

But is it a “fu-xoing” joke?

Well the tag idea makes sense in theory but only if tags are applied correctly and in a way that is consistent over all posts. That is already a problem. One example was shown today where a post about a restaurant was tagged as a store (I guess because a staff person didn’t know or want to take the time to figure it out).

I just read a post Jim Leff made to his blog in which he pointed out that, in the early days of CH, the difficulty in dealing with the site itself resulted in a strengthening of the quality of the user base. Only ‘serious’ hounds took the time to master it. The opposite seems to have happened at the new CH. Sad indeed.

1 Like

Well I guess they’re REALLY busy with one-on-one responses. A couple of weeks ago I had a reply removed and received an email from one of the mods about it. When I responded, quoting my post, and showed that it had NOT, in fact, broken any rules I got an apology and an admission that the mod had removed the wrong post by mistake. One more head-shaking moment on CH.

2 Likes