Bavel - Arts District

Love L.A.

2 Likes

Later on that night…

3 Likes

i usually don’t care about actors that much but Marisa Tomei! She was my crush since “A Different World”

That’s awesome that she was so nice too!

2 Likes

I hear she’s into short, funny, quirky, bald men.

2 Likes

Ohhh nothing… just Marisa Tomei sharing her okra and malawach with me at the bar. Just an ordinary day in L.A. Shut up. I love her.

I agree about the heaviness. It might be why they’re making the entrees smaller - a lot of people were probably taking food home. But, still, @PorkyBelly is right, they could have lowered the price a tad more.

Looking forward to our next visit.

1 Like

farm cheese, fig leaf and borage flower za’atar olive oil, sea salt, buckwheat loaf
This was good, but very heavy, olive oil was insanely good. i prefer the hummus.
bavel_20180603_185528

bavel_20180601_181904

bavel_20180601_181933

australian grilled prawns, harissa marinade, eggplant tzatziki, herbs, lime
The star of the show and the reason why I came back. Still excellent and my favorite thing on the menu. Everything is edible so make sure to suck those brains and eat those heads #prawnstars #headtotail
bavel_20180601_183305

bavel_20180601_185059

grilled dorade, herb-stuffed, red chermoula, preserved orange, smoked anchovy
deboned and stuffed for your pleasure. this wasn’t bad, but didn’t compare to the sand dab i had at gjusta.
bavel_20180603_191553

bavel_20180601_184538

(new) vanilla date creme brulee, soft candied orange peel shortbread
Outstanding, loved the date puree at the bottom.
bavel_20180601_191519

9 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

3 Likes

That fish looks very good. I love whole fish.

Have you tried the whole branzino at Osteria Mozza?

I love Tomei so much omg.

Oh, also selling a saturday night reservation for this weekend. (jk)

No. I’m assuming it’s amazing, though. :slight_smile:

The trick is finding someone to go with you when ordering whole fish, unless they are little fried smelts or those pretty sand dabs. I did once go to a Chinese restaurant and ordered a whole fish. They initially told me no, but I pleaded my case and they gave in. They thought it was funny. SF, I think.

Yeah it’s amazing. One of the best whole fish I’ve had in the city that I can remember.

1 Like

not yet, thanks for the tip, i love fried whole fish.

Fried whole fish is the BEST.

It’s funny because my default is, “I don’t like fried food.” Except I do, I’m simply persnickety abut it.

where do you get it? i was pretty disappointed with the whole fried snapper at tar & roses.

If non-Chinese, then Escala.

1 Like

I should also add that Hook & Hoof has what looks like a great fried whole striped bass. It’s next on my to-do list. Maybe tomorrow.

1 Like
1 Like

Good read. Though I have not had the grilled oyster mushrooms, the one time I dined at Bavel, an adjacent patron at the bar ordered them. The smell of lighter fluid was overwhelming, echoing the sentiments of some of the posters on this very thread and bringing to the forefront the Goldster’s very positive review of the dish. Maybe they remedied it by the time JGold was there?

On my 3rd visit, for some reason the strawberry sumac and sweet cheese pastry really resonated with me. It reminded me of those jam filled butter cookies I used to have as a child. The pistachio ice cream was very good too, though didn’t necessarily tie into the dish.

All the other dishes I had were repeats. As for drink, went with NV Billecart Salmon rosé champagne this time. It carried us through the entire meal from appetizers to dessert. How about that for versatility?

5 Likes