Benu, San Francisco (November 2017)

My review is coming shortly. But in sum, our recent meal here was a technical tour de force that showcased a very high degree of refinement. The kitchen has a ton of pedigree, and what is impressive about their cooking is how precisely they coax out flavors - the tastes here are not only very “clean,” even if you’d expect the ingredients to be powerful, but also very much “true,” if you’re familiar with how certain Chinese and Korean flavors are “supposed” to taste. The meal here weaves haute versions of Chinese and Korean dishes, some of which may come with a fair degree of familiarity (this is a double-edged sword to some diners), but ultimately what’s impressive is how they’re able to layer flavors because each one is precise, creating some degree of complexity and nuance in a dish that’s otherwise seemingly familiar in some regard.

For example, white kimchee had just the right pitch to complement Asian pear’s delicate sweetness and pine mushroom’s fragrance; marinated mussel had just enough silky chew to mimic the glass noodles hidden inside; the faux shark-fin’s double bouillon with Jinhua ham had a great depth to match the powerful black truffle and xiaoxing wine, and its accompanying aged Madeira pairing had just the right weight to complement the mouthfeel of the simultaneously slippery and brittle “shark’s fin.”

The menu was overall strong, with some pairings (especially the wine pairing by Master Sommelier Yoon Ha) being quite brilliant. In terms of technical nuance - pretty much everything was executed with aplomb, especially the textures which are always textbook here. Several dishes at Benu do intuitively delight because they offer comforting tastes, but understanding their precision grows your appreciation, if you know what to look for. I think that’s in part why Benu is regarded among chefs.

Highlights: faux “shark fin” soup with Jinhua ham, black truffle, xiaoxing wine, and crab paired with 1973 madeira; braised winter melon with chrysanthemum paired with moscato d’asti; marinated mussel with glass noodles; sprouted bread with ginseng-infused orange blossom honey butter; sea perch soup with nasturtium buds.

Homemade “thousand year old” quail egg, with potage, ginger, and cabbage jus

Kimchi “glass” and in various textures, Beausoleil oyster, pork belly
CC2597EA-50F0-4FE3-A1E0-93DEFDBA975C
Fried tiger prawn, wrapped in fried jelly fish and kamtae seaweed

Marinated mussel encasing glass noodles wrapped in vegetable ribbons

Beef tendon wrapped in lacquered beef tripe, with citrus marigold leaves

Big fin reef squid with sesame leaf and soon-dae (Korean pork blood sausage) with glutinous rice

Roasted Kona abalone
02DC329C-6AD3-4299-8954-E1CE042EAC59
Sauce of abalone liver and roast chicken jus, with mustard greens creme. Sweet and sour, but a rare miss, in my opinion.

Faux “Shark Fin” soup of Jinhua and Iberico ham, with steamed egg custard, black truffle, and Dungeness crab. Awesome pairing with 44 year old Madeira. Probably bite of the night.

Sprouted grains bread with ginseng-infused orange blossom honey and McClellan’s Dairy butter. The pastry here is excellent, as always.

E0F064D4-0E90-486D-813C-F53EBD15C082
99ABF44F-9D9E-4EEB-AA65-BF2BA12183C0
Lobster coral xiao long bao with homemade soy sauce, Rodenbach flemish red ale mimicking complementary vinegar. I liked this better than the foie gras version.

Rice from Shiga, with green onion dust
12842E3F-87EE-4012-B0EE-4D9BCB1AC9B0
Caviar, fresh cold-pressed sesame oil, baek kimichi, shiso leaf, nori. Delicious when taken together. We were instructed to eat this with the rice, but the caviar’s definition got lost.

Hokkaido uni with fermented crab sauce, kohlrabi. Excellent with a yamahai sake from Saga

Geoduck with sesame, seaweeds, and onion

Fried sea perch, with nasturtium bud creme. Strong horseradish flavor (a bit too strong for me), much like Californian wasabi. Sharper and less sweet than Shizuoka wasabi.
8E92A78D-37E9-41CC-B881-2BC1943FB34D
Soup of perch bones roasted over oak, nasturtium buds, winter vegetables. Great mouthfeel with an Alsace riesling that also bridged the fried perch and spice well. Nasturtium buds were more pleasant here, since they get “spicier” when ground.
C5DCFA7E-9DA3-4B90-9311-B4B594B74E91
Barbecued Wolf Ranche Quail with red wine and black truffle sauce, crosnes, pickled shallots. Sauce was pitch perfect, and nice to see crosnes in a tasting menu!
9E9D5017-4D9C-4C6C-831E-4BC035505185
311BFC7B-D178-4CC6-B2D4-5D029F604521
Pear-braised beef shortrib with matsutake mushrooms and salsify

Baek kimchi and Yali pear, shallots and sesame leaf. The pear kimchi was very interesting, and worked well with the pine mushroom.
F8942213-544A-44CC-B14C-EDE40CD47AE2
Black truffle mantou with truffle creme and chives
74B691DA-6AB4-4B2E-A94F-709AE0061691

Omija (Korean berry with “5 flavors”) sorbet with olive oil. The olive oil’s spice-like polyphenols brought out the berry’s slight saltiness and bitterness.
C5E9718C-9ECC-45B2-98BB-BC2413C6C680
Braised winter melon, chrysanthemum (fresh and dried), frozen meringue whipped with fresh cream - an absolutely brilliant pairing with yes, Moscato d’Asti, which I would otherwise never order. But this was an incredibly nuanced pairing of flavors that completed one another and a distinguished example of when the “whole is greater than the sum of its parts.”

“Sikhye” Korean sweet rice soup, with pine shoots

Fuyu persimmons

Chocolate with candied seeds

Outside courtyard, with onggi (Korean storage earthenware) for house soy sauce made from Jook Jang Yeon meju…impressive!

13 Likes

Hi @BradFord,

Nice pics and thoughts. Looks fantastic. :slight_smile: Would you say it’s improved your impressions of Benu since your last mention to me on the previous SF recs thread?

Thanks! I did enjoy this meal more than my last, which was perhaps in 2016 or end of 2015. I’m not sure the kitchen’s improved (they always had technique in spades), but this meal did leave more of an impression on me. The pairings were a bit more interesting and I found the meal overall to exhibit a bit more complexity. But it’s in the details; Benu has a subtle hand, but its food will definitely appeal to some. Some of the dishes were different permutations of ones I’ve had in the past (e.g. the “thousand year old egg” with potage, beef marinated with pear, even the “shark’s fin” soup). It was a slight change that made all the difference in elevating these dishes. With that said, this version of the “shark’s fin” soup paired with 44 year old Verdelho madeira was probably a top-5 bite this year. I think you might like Benu - it’s naturally different in style than Saison, but worth checking out and especially after this meal I am looking forward to returning a bit more often.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report and the excellent pictures!

I was at Benu within the past year and really enjoyed my meal. I’m told that if if you ever become a regular, not only will they remember you, but they may likely switch out some dishes so you won’t likely get the exact same menu the next visit.

I recall my century egg was decent (and already a good job given that they make it themselves) but from a Cantonese culinary perspective, it lacks the semi gelatinous yolk center texture (akin to the 63 degree egg at the likes of Commi’s but that’s a bit extreme of a description), similar to how gourmets think how a perfect braised abalone’s center should be like.

Yoon Ha told me that he picked Madeira to pair with the crab, because its profile and characteristics resemble a type of Shaoxing wine. It’s actually a type normally called Hua Diao liquor in Mandarin. HD is the perfect pairing not just with crab but egg white with crab (steamed together then HD is added on top to finish it off). From a Yin/Yang perspective, the HD liquor acts as the counterbalance to the crab, and together creates a certain harmony that is also good for the body. Aged Hua Diao is very expensive and its color does resemble Madeira (and perhaps the aroma to some extent), so this was quite genius in that regard by Yoon. HD is also a vital ingredient in the steamed blue crab dish (flower crab) with chicken lard and thick rice noodles at The Chairman restaurant in Hong Kong, and I believe the crab claw egg white shaoxing wine dish replicated from Fook Lam Moon Hong Kong at In Situ, is also based on this ingredient theme.

Several years ago when I was at Yum’s Bistro Fremont I saw the freelance writer (food and wine critic) of the local Chinese newspaper come in with a bunch of his VIP friends for a banquet, and much later it dawned on me that he dined with Corey Lee and Yoon Ha who brought their significant others. They were at the table next to us and I had no idea who they were then. The Quail dish at Benu has some level of resemblance to the Hong Kong style squab in texture at Yum’s, though the Quail flavor is at yet several levels above.

Their in house made kimchi/banchan are definitely very interesting and well executed. That rice is addicting and suddenly I’m putting all sorts of things on top of the rice and eating whatever is on the table with it, Chinese/Korean style!

What was the Yamahai sake from Saga that was paired with the uni in fermented crab sauce? Yoon picked a very light bodied Pinot Noir (unfortunately I don’t recall which one) to pair with it during my visit, and miraculously it worked great.

Very happy that they are in SF and still going on strong.

1 Like

Thanks, and thank you for your notes

The one I had at In Situ (I haven’t been to Fook Lam Moon, it’s been too long since I last visited Hong Kong) had a really strong xiaoxing taste. I personally thought it overpowered the crab, but I am barely even a novice when it comes to Chinese liquor. I’ve noticed a few places marinating raw shellfish in xiaoxing wine - of course, the lobster in xiaoxing wine at Sushi Sho Honolulu comes to mind - but I recently saw it at a couple of other places.

It had a very nice rosy pink cuisson. The kitchen has a deft hand, and instead of something like the salt/pepper or even just squeeze of lemon that may accompany a Cantonese roast bird, here it had a surprisingly powerful yet clean red wine-truffle sauce that paired well with a high-elevation California grenache.

Sorry, but I didn’t take notes and I don’t remember exactly. It had a red label…it was not Shichida. Might have been Amabuki Yamahai. Omachi would make sense with some of the stronger flavors here - sesame oil, fermented crab sauce, etc.

1 Like

This is the legendary signature crab shaoxwing wine/huadiao liquor sauce with chicken lard and rice noodles dish from The Chairman in Hong Kong. The liquor sauce is meant to be rather intense (especially after being thickened and mixed with chicken lard), but the local crab is also very strong in flavor, but it barely holds up with the sauce. That’s the style so it’s not surprising the FLM In Situ clone also has strong shaoxing wine presence and flavor.

And here is a picture of Hong Kong (Kowloon side) Tin Heung Lau, a very expensive and famous Hangzhou restaurant where celebrities and foodies flock every Shanghai hairy crab season for the stir fried crab roe (all from the head, no meat from the legs)…some prefer to add some noodles and some use rice, to pair with their rare double digit aged huadiao liquor (which looks super dark)

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve had Chef Lee’s cooking at French Laundry and the family makes a point of dining a few times a year at Benu. The food just gets better and better. You really nailed it with the point about combining authentic flavors with the precision of fine dining execution. It’s a tough balancing act when the source flavors are so bold, but Lee manages it all brilliantly.

I’m so glad you made a point of giving props to Eun. He’s a total sweetheart and a master of his craft. One of the fun things has been watching the junior somms he trains progress through the exam process and spread their wings at other establishments around the country.

2 Likes