Best Bites LA

here here. i had not heard of ep/lp. worth a drive or more of a “in the area” kinda thing?
since a rooftop bar is always pleasant, how be the drinks?

thnks.

LA times food section did an interesting piece on the chef and how he makes his seafood curry.
Made me eager to try the guy’s goods.

3 Likes

thanks for the info.

I haven’t heard much about EP/LP until i heard the chef on good food and that got me intrigued. The menu and pictures look interesting. It has 2.5 stars on yelp for some reason, i think most of the bad reviews are for the rooftop bar though.

2 Likes

The West Hollywood “exclusive rooftop bar scene/velvet rope deal” is generally not a bellweather for fine cuisine. Hell It took me a while to find the actual restaurant menu on their web site - had to wade through a lot of bar snacks and lots of booze.
But when I found the menu - I got kind of excited.

1 Like

Aaand reservations made

1 Like

All: EP/LP currently one of the top meals of the year for us. The lamb neck dish is my wife’s new favorite dish.

3 Likes

Is there a way to go to this place without dealing with the club atmosphere?

I was hoping by going early i could avoid the bros. Thoughts @theoffalo?

I totally guessing since I have never been but Mon- Wed is unlikely to be filled with EDM Club Happy folks in their finest.

I went on a Monday and I did not see many bros. The restaurant is on the 2nd floor and the separation between it and the 3rd floor bar seems pretty well done, but going earlier probably wouldn’t hurt.

1 Like

I’ve been to EP more than a handful of times now and I like what the chef is doing but I can’t say that without being biased. If you get a chance to sit at the bar where the chef Louie directs the show, I highly recommend it.

1 Like

I only ate at EP once when they did that kind of silly Chinese American dinner. It was actually remarkably fun, and well-executed. They have several Nahm alumni in the kitchen, which is pretty shocking.

I keep forgetting to go back though. They were almost absurdly arrogant about their cooking, and said to come back because they were by far the best Thai in LA, much better than Night Market according to themselves.

Looking at their menu, it seems like it could be great, but it also doesn’t look like THAT Thai, so the arrogance confused me and has made me loathe to return.

Why hasn’t anyone written anything about them? You’ve all been frequently eating there and yet there are no reports???

Maybe I’ll try to brave it this week.

I’m curious to know how they came off as absurdly arrogant? It’s a playful but focused kitchen and seemed to have found some great chemistry. Chef Louie is the last guy to take himself too serious, hence my curiosity about the arrogance. Could just be the relentless dry Aussie humour that permeates?

Personally I haven’t shared any visits yet I’m new here.

At this point they had been open like maybe a month or two in LA, and were self-declaring as the best Thai food in LA… they didn’t even know most of the Thai spots I asked if they had been to other than Night + Market.

Seems pretty arrogant to me.

But I guess if they can back it up then they weren’t… maybe I missed some kind of odd humor, but it must’ve been dry as hell if so.

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:89, topic:3413, full:true”]
I was hoping by going early i could avoid the bros. Thoughts @theoffalo?
[/quote]What is bros.?

Hi @TheCookie,

https://g.co/kgs/HsCpK9

The bro map:

1 Like

Very funny. I must be getting old.

I gotta say, I think they may have the most scenic(urban) rooftop in LA, if you can stand the crowd of course. Go early before the sunset and personally I’d avoid the munchies part of the menu up there. It’s not a good representation of the food downstairs at EP in my opinion, even though it comes from the same kitchen.