Best Bites LA

oh man I had this tonight. So damn good. nothing better than milk desserts.

1 Like

It compares better to honeymee, but with better toppings.

Nice glad you liked it, did you try anything else?

No other desserts, was too stuffed from the chicken and at-cost white truffles
 :blush:

Gonna post a couple from the past few months

Milk Braised Heritage Goat (fried sage, fennel pollen) at chi SPACCA:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL7gl6zgmtM/

Kawa-ishi, roasted soy bean, white chocolate mousse, black sesame cake, cocoa nib dentelle, from Providence at the Children’s Bureau fundraiser food event, also available at the restaurant:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL2tGuLAaHa/

Fried pickled date, curry, lime, maple, pine nut praline, from Erven at Los Angeles Magazine’s The Food Event:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLp4_QxAZsa/

Josiah Citrin & Michael Cimarusti collab at LA Loves Alex’s Lemonade, oyster crĂ©pinette:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKNWCAiAVgi/

(If you couldn’t tell, been attending a lot of food events.)

Most recently, probably Guerrilla Tacos clam ceviche tostada w/uni upgrade from the previous week’s menu:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMNzFzjAWAD/

11 Likes

Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

How was the goat? I don’t know why goat is so rare in chop format like that! Man I’ve gotta go back and try that.

1 Like

Considering the thread I posted it in, you could infer that the goat was better than average. It was actually fantastic. I’m not one to shy away from the inherent gaminess/grassiness of goat or lamb, but I have to say that aspect of the flavor was very mild, to the point where I kept referring to it as lamb before correcting myself.

Chef Ryan DeNicola came by our table and gave us the pedigree on the goat. It’s from one of their meat producers, Heritage Foods, and the goat comes from a farm in Manhattan, KS. Heritage Foods has been trying to get chefs and restaurants to buy and serve more goat and they started a program called “No Goat Left Behind” and dubbed last month Goatober.

DeNicola takes the goat and makes salumi out of some of its parts (should be cured and ready to serve toward the end of the year) and then other parts, like the shoulders here and does two preps, one’s just a straight grill goat and the other is this one, which is milk braised then roasted. Call them and see if they’re still serving it and when they’ll start with the goat salumi.

1 Like

Somehow got here from another image link and didn’t realize which post it was in haha

I hope they get goat at some more places.

I’d probably go for the straight grill. First thing I ever ate at Chi Spacca was baby goat chops when it was still the scuola di pizza haha =)

Had that last time I was at the restaurant. Such a great dessert.

Because we don’t have a “Greedy little hedonist” thread.

1/4 lb. of smoked black cod, $11, Gjusta.

I ate it all, I didn’t share. It was so silky and buttery and slippery. Not smoky or salty, just pure, clean, oily fish.

I put some on a salad, then I put some on a piece of cream cheese rye toast, but I ended up slurping it off those extraneous items. The rest is going straight in my mouth.

10 Likes

Went to Jun Won and had the cod.

Wow so sweet, and tender!!

The sauce is sweet and slightly spicy which went perfect with the cod. The daikon, and green onions were very tasty over some rice. The owner is a cool dude and very hospitable. Very good service.

I’ll post a pic later. I am enjoying a Red Stripe at Frank N Hanks at the moment.

2 Likes

Jun Won’s Cod

4 Likes

#Raku
Sashimi Sampler - Kanpachi, Salmon, Bluefin, Toro
This was fucking phenomenal, it was so soft it was like eating fish butter.

6 Likes

Mmmm
 fish butter. I would like to try that.

Lazy AF in bed with the rain dripping down and reflecting upon 2016. And what are probably the best things I consumed (in no particular order or categorization, because lazy AF):

Gnocco Frito with Salumi - Hosteria Giusti, Modena, Italy

Cemento/Terra - Tokuyoshi, Milan, Italy

Cavatelli - Kali, Los Angeles

Rabbit with Pipian - Pujol, CDMX

Churro - Pujol, CDMX

Mille Feuille Tonkatsu - Kagura, Torrance

Duck in Mole Negro - Dulce Patria, CDMX

Barbacoa - El Hidalguense, CDMX

Uni Pasta - n/naka

Gnocci with Pesto - Bulgarini Gelato

Corn Husk Meringue - Cosme pop-up, WeHo (also the duck carnitas, but the lighting was really bad)

Hot Mess with Pig Trotter and Foie Gras - Cockscomb, SF

Chocolate Chip Waffle - Odys+Penelope

Celery Root and Apple Soup - The Cavalier, SF

Chihuahua Dog - In Situ, SF

Escargot Porridge - Patina

Eel and Foie - n/naka

Cauliflower Panna Cotta - Papilles

Assorted Sashimi - Raku, WeHo

Cornmeal Waffle - Animal

Salt Roasted Turnip - PYT

Guinea Hen and Rice - Taco Maria, Costa Mesa

Fluffy Cheesecake - Raku, WeHo

Pork Ribs - Ham Ji Park

Steamed Corn Buns - Manresa, Los Gatos

Aguachile - Lost at Sea

Patty Melt - Bellweather

Wagyu Supplement - Providence

Avocado Toast - Jon and Vinnys

Shrimp Grits - In Situ, SF

Uni Risotto - Kinjiro

Orange and Chocolate - Contraste, Milan, Italy

Pigeon - All’Osteria Bottega, Bologna, Italy

Frog Legs - Dal Pescatore, Canneto Sull’oglio, Italy

Meringue Ice Cream - Kali

Ahi Tuna - Juniper and Ivy, San Diego

Salmon Tomato Nigiri - Sushi of Gari, Hollywood

Tortelli di Zucca - Dal Pescatore, Canneto Sull’oglio, Italy

Mashed Potatoes - Chi Spacca

Corn, Corn, Corn - Baroo

Crostino - Lost at Sea

Cheddar Grits - Sharksteeth at Wolvesmouth

Pork Belly - Wolvesmouth

Bolognese with Polenta - Jon and Vinnys

Albacore Tuna - Lost at Sea

Thai Steak and Noodle Salad - South Beverly Grill (need to jump more aggressively on this Hillstone train - I could eat this everyday of my life)

18 Likes

Nice year

5 Likes

Dulce Patria is a wild restaurant. Did you skip Quintonil or just not enjoy it?

Did you get the maguey worm tacos at Hidalguense?

1 Like

I was at Quintonil on my first trip to CDMX and it just left me scratching my head. Just wasn’t my thing. At Hidalguense, I had the barbacoa and an order of queso asado. Was may more than enough food!

When was that, out of curiosity?

Not sure if Quintonil improved recently but it jumped ahead of Pujol in the San Pellegrino List and to me, was far beyond all of the other high end places in CDMX.

But I guess my tastes lean rather odd.

I miss CDMX.