Best Chinese Turnip Cake 蘿蔔糕 (entire package)?

Chinese New Year is coming up. Recently in Hong Kong media there has been a ton of coverage regarding turnip cake (Lor Bak Go 蘿蔔糕) from high end to low end versions from restaurants and chain shops.

Where in LA makes some of the better renditions? I’m not talking about the dim sum on a plate. This is the whole brick sized packages you can buy to take home and pan fry or steam yourself. Normally these go on sale several weeks before Chinese New Year. Any non dim sum Cantonese seafood restaurants sell them as well but in remarkable quality? At a minimum, flavorful and quality turnips, dried shrimp, Chinese sausage. Any interesting variants that don’t use Chinese sausage/lap cheong?

1 Like

The best daikon cake or 蘿蔔糕 is at Sea Harbour. In years past if you called ahead they would sell it to you raw for you to partition and then to steam or fry at home as you wish.

2 Likes

Thanks! Do they sell it preboxed raw anyways for CNY along with Cantonese nian gao and other CNY foods?

Next question, does Sea Harbor also make the best XO sauce to go with their turnip cakes and available to purchase? In Northern California the XO sauce at Koi Palace is pretty good and they sell them by the jar.

1 Like

No, not from what I know. I don’t order from them, as we make all the CNY foods at home.

Probably not. As they don’t even plate their 蘿蔔糕 during dim sum with what I would consider true XO sauce.

I know you don’t really do this, but it would be so great if you could take some pictures of your mother’s food. And yours, of course!

Chances are, if you’ve eaten in enough places in SGV, you already have seen my mother’s food.

Just had a low end version from a true hole in wall in Mongkok (Hong Kong). Almost all pure shredded daikon. Far from fancy but comforting in a no bullshit homey grandma made way.

9 Likes

My god that looks incredible!

2 Likes

Thanks for mentioning the no BS granny version! The stuff from the hood is gold.

I’m reminded of several years back going to Wai Kee Congee 威記粥店 in Central, literally a hop away from the Dai Pai Dong’s on Stanley Street. Their daikon cake is steamed but is maxmium pure daikon goodness…minimal to no starch filler (as well as the BS that you mention) and no mushrooms, dried shrimp, and Chinese sausage that I recall. Add some of the house seasoned soy sauce and it’s the de facto veggie to go with a plain congee and a cruller, making the traditional breakfast more complete. A little bit of scallions would have been great but this was perfect for me too. It’s on par in terms of satisfaction level with a fantastic Japanese style ni-daikon / oden daikon in dashi.

4 Likes

That’s a shame! So I guess one is better off asking SH ahead of time for uncooked daikon cake block, pan fry it at home and open up a jar of XO sauce from Corner Beef Noodle for a DIY combo?

Sounds good to me, can’t wait to hear your report.

But honestly, I just feel like XO sauce is so 2017. Lately, we’ve been garnishing the daikon cakes with capers (yes, capers!) and some bonito flakes.

1 Like

Or try the Japanese approach with a little karashi (mustard) which will give you a slight acidic kick like capers but also a bit of spice. Maybe yuzu goshou paste will work just as fun.

1 Like

Since we’re playing tourist, we went just a tad beyond traditional. ;). My jook had beef heart, so fresh it was almost beating, wife had beef offal swimming in hers. The shrimp in the fresh steamed cheong fun popped as only HK shrimp does.

All for less than the price of two Denny’s breakfast.

4 Likes

Since the op mentioned Chinese New Year, please pardon my thread drift.

My wife always craves poon choi this time of year. My HK friends mostly consider poon choi as peasant food, but they (and I) accommodate her.

The poon choi is family style fun, friends and family enjoying each other around a simmering pot of stuff. Abalone, scallops, oysters, mushrooms, duck webs, fish balls, lotus root, shrimp and more. 3 bottles of Argentina red. An order of abalone and veggies for dessert. Gung Hay Fat Choy!!!

Strolling through the wholesale fruit district at midnight on way back to our hotel. The blocks were humming with forklifts, pallet jacks and other sights and sounds of industry. What a wonderful vibrant city!!

6 Likes

That’s pretty damn cool!

never developed a taste for this, but this brings back memories of my mother making something similar but with taro. i don’t think i’ve ever seen this out here. is this just a toisan thing or what?

The Taro version 芋頭糕 is also a traditional Chinese New Year food found in Hong Kong, China, and there are variants elsewhere as well.

1 Like

is there any place here that makes/sells it? i kinda miss it.

Yi Mei, Four Seas, DSW, Huge Tree, to just name a few.

1 Like

really? i don’t recall seeing it offered there.

thanks,