Best Dry Aged Steak in Los Angeles County?

Saddle Peak Lodge for game meat. Don’t remember them usually having venison, but they usually have elk and other game.

I like the aged Tomahawk at BOA.

1 Like

Good or nooo… I remember them good way back, but I have been reading that alot has changed and the food is ok…

Not sure if you’re referring to BOA or SPL. SPL has new owners, but the food is the same. I don’t know what changes at BOA may have occurred if you’re talking about that.

I had a great meal at Gwen’s, hope to get back to try a steak one of these days.

Alexander’s buys some good meat, but the menu’s not my idea of what a steakhouse should serve.

1 Like

Last time I was at Saddle Peak (about a year ago), they had venison.

They also offered a game meat sampler entree that if I remember correctly consisted of elk, venison, and boar. It was very good.

For a restaurant, Arthur J

For at-home, Standing’s Butchery

1 Like

Chi Spacca, Gwen, and The Arthur J are tops for dry-aged, along with Cut

Sizzler, it is definitely dry and aged.

None of the above mentioned allows you to make a steak sandwich with cheese toast

12 Likes

thank youuuuusss

Did we mention Saddle Creek Lodge and of course Dan Tana’s.

1 Like

I love Nick & Stef’s only because it was really interesting to taste dry-aged beef cooked over wood. There’s this additional smoky note that just plays really well off that subtle, dry-age funk. For those who don’t like their meat cooked over wood it’s probably not as great a bet… but just my .02

1 Like

The Nick + Stef’s Cut and Whiskey menu is a very different, and welcome, way to experience a steakhouse.

Kudos to Megan and Joy.

1 Like

I’ve never met anyone who liked dry-aged beef who didn’t prefer it grilled over wood or charcoal.

I don’t think there’s anything I prefer grilled over gas.

1 Like

I like wood.

1 Like

I’ve yet to meet someone who actually prefers the funk strong and unobstructed by wood, maybe someone who’s really into blue cheeses? I just recall Nick & Stef’s being just the right amount of dry-aged funkiness and wood, and I kept saying “this is really nice. Wow this steak… it’s really nice” like an idiot over and over at the table.

I’ve seen people eat straight gorgonzola and inhale with it in their mouth like it’s the best thing they’ve ever smelled, so… not gonna rule it out per se :joy:

If dry-aged beef has been trimmed properly, it’s not that funky.

1 Like

I’m confused, is this unusual? (says someone who does, on occasion, inhale small amounts of gorgonzola and never thought twice about it)

1 Like

Me too. Isn’t that the best way to enjoy a good cheese?

2 Likes

I guess I’m not quite sure what you’re asking?

The smell is certainly polarizing. I think those who find it pleasant enough to inhale it so thoroughly without reservation to be in a minority (relative to the general population). I think we can all agree on that.

Do I find a desire to consume through smell or taste the pure funk of dry aged beef, unobstructed by wood to be strange, uncommon or special? No, but I would argue that it’s not for everyone. Hope this clarifies.

Which general population?

1 Like