Best Dry Aged Steak in Los Angeles County?

There’s a school of thought that the best steak is dry-aged and cooked over a wood or natural hardwood charcoal fire. Those are just two of the various elements that go into making it the best.

The arguments for gas against wood get into details about temperature. Home gas grills can’t get as hot as the ones some steakhouses use.

Accuse other posters of “handwavy arguments” or the like and you’ll get flagged again. If you think someone’s arguments are unserious or otherwise flawed, keep your opinions to yourself.

The biggest plus of wood or charcoal may be that they give the restaurant an appetizing smell. Often there’s no detectable smoky smell to any leftovers I eat at home.

For real? Isn’t this the basis for intellectual discussion?

9 Likes

Rather the opposite. Argument ad hominem is one of the most popular logical fallacies.

FWIW, I do think it’s possible to point out a flawed argument w/o resorting to personal attacks.

JMO, but I think the community has been remarkably good at self-regulating thus far (::knock on wood::).

3 Likes

This board isn’t entirely self-regulating. The Discourse system deals with some potential problems automatically and the moderators occasionally ban users or give them timeouts. (Mostly that same one guy over and over using different logins.)

1 Like

I cooked 2 dry aged steaks from the Eataly meat counter over Christmas. A porterhouse and a rib eye. Trib eye had more funk in terms of the blue cheese smell and taste even though the porterhouse has a darker color. Not sure if there is any correlation between color, aging and odor.

I used the reverse sear method using a cast iron pan and my broiler. The steaks came out great. Sorry can’t find the picture of the finished product. But I would agree about cooking temperture. My broiler tops out at 550 and I didn’t have that great crust you’d get from restaurant quality salamander or super hot grill. I don’t think I’ve ever had dry aged beef over a grill but I’m on the lookout.

6 Likes

That rib eye…

1 Like

Understood. I’m certainly not aware of most of behind-the-scenes shenanigans, but I think posters have done a pretty good job here. Yes, moderator intervention is necessary (hopefully just on occasion), but I do think the community here knows what it’s like to lose the forum and doesn’t want that to happen again!

This is an awesome photo, thank you for this. Would you happen to know offhand how many days each of these were aged?

This is wrong. And you know it.

And you, by your own admission, know that you do not moderate this board.

4 Likes

I believe 28 days but not 100% sure. The Eataly steaks were excellent and I’d recommend if you live near Century City. The next time I’m in LA I’m going to try Standing Butchery based on Ipse’s recommendation.

1 Like

Let us move on from the persnickety and the ad hominem and all the offense.

I’ll offer this, not a steak, but I do enjoy the 100 day aged burger at Belcampo. I feel dirty after ordering - a $32 burger, but it isn’t the worst way to sample some beef pushing the aging envelope just a wee bit.

Anybody can flag anything.

Once in a very long while I use the moderator tools.

I’ve had beef aged for experimentally long periods by Chris Kronner a few times. Some bites were great tender steak and others more like beef jerky. The fermented flavor wasn’t stronger than after 45 days.

Interesting.
Those Nick Solares videos on eater indicate those aged flavors can continue to change with time, but I haven’t experienced any super aged beef.
With the burger at Belcampo, texture was also part of the experience. The drier beef made for a noticeably different feel to the patty.

Hahaha

Blackboard Eats is currently running a deal on the Cut & Whisky menu.
https://www.blackboardeats.com/sp/nick-and-stefs-steakhouse-downtown-los-angeles-2

2 Likes

Rad. Thank you!

Get yourself to Eataly on Saturday June 16th between 11am and 6pm.
Does anybody know if dry aged meat will keep well in the freezer?

1 Like