Best Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles

that looks amazing :scream:

1 Like

Indeed. I took a 10-mile walk and then ate those, so perhaps my tastebuds were particularly livened up, but they tasted absolutely sublime. Top 3 chilaquiles for me. They had a habanero sauce (god I love how prevalent that pepper is in DF) and suadero. Everything was just perfect about them. It was hard to believe they were only $2.5.

1 Like

At EK Valley I stick to two dishes… Their Clayudas (Excellent!) and Their Carnitas Oink Oink. AWFUL name, they are not carnitas. Instead it’s more like Chile Verde, but unique. SO Good.

1 Like

Yep! Keep in mind, you won’t find Chilaquilles here ANYWHERE that are as good as DF because Tortillas in the U.S. stink. But I have always found Los Anayas to be well sauced with a crisp edge. And again, great Chorizo and they cook eggs REALLY well.

Absolutely! They are two dishes actually. Chilaquilles are Tortillas, crisped in oil… sauced and then with egg. Migas are Tortillas, Crisped in oil, mixed with egg and THEN sauced. It’s two different sides of the same scale. Most places come somewhere in between. It’s a preference. I like Anayas because they are completely sauced and coated with egg. A nice balance between the two dishes. And of course, their sauce is wonderful. Regardless of fully sauced, semi sauced, casserole style… if the sauce is ‘meh’ it doesn’t matter.

–Dommy!

1 Like

It’s hardly the best Oaxacan in the city. Better Mole, Clayudas and Guisados can be found elsewhere. But for a local culver city place, it’s very good. I still like Anayas better though. TLA flavors are a bit more fresh and prep more refined. While EK is more vibrant, but a bit sloppy in prep and ingredients.

–Dommy!

1 Like

I disagree with this I guess. There are places that have tortillas that are just as good as any I’ve had in DF. It’s just much easier to get good tortillas in DF, i.e. they’re literally everywhere.

When you say “here” you mean LA right? Have you ever had the chilaquiles at Cala in SF by chance? Of course they are $20 (sigh), but they taste exactly like the best of DF to me; of course, Gabriela Camara hails directly from DF though (Contramar/Merotoro/Amaya). But it seems that that at least proves it’s POSSIBLE to make them as good here lol

Ah, yes that makes sense why migas tend to have a crunchier texture. To me, the most important thing is not only the sauce’s flavor, but the special texture created by soaking the tortillas in just the right amount of sauce, leading to something that is soft, yet still crispy. There is something magical and sublime about it in a simple and pure way.

The coated with egg thing also sort of throws me off, as I have not seen that in DF. Sauced tortillas + fried egg with a beautiful yolk seems more prevalent, and that always seems much nicer to me because of the splendor of the yolk with the sauce on the tortillas haha

Maybe the photos of Anaya and deceptive…I may try an order, although I might ask if they could do them with a fried egg haha

As I am sadly unfamiliar, where are these other places? haha

I would be quite inclined to try tlayudas with pork lard and chapulines (and cecina enchilado) if they exist here!

Try the Oaxacan barbacoa taco, which is a barbacoa taco using their clayuda base.

2 Likes

Well I have to hand it to you, the texture is actually spot on despite the photos!

Next time I need to have them do an over easy egg though.

The Adobada was a nice addition. I wonder f they would give me raw onions and more cojita though.

I got a sope, too. Really light airy and crispy. I ended up topping it with the adobada from my chilaquiles haha

Especially with their diablo sauce, which tastes very “DF” in the flavor profile, the chilaquiles definitely seem to be the best in LA. Heck they’re the only ones that are even prepared correctly as far as I can tell!

I can’t believe they’ve been right beneath my nose the whole time!

5 Likes

Glad you liked it!! That sope. OMG. You can top it with anything and it’d still be SO good. And yes, the folks there are really nice, you can ask for extra cheese.

–Dommy!

2 Likes

I went to TLA a couple of months ago. I liked everything, but agree with your general assessment. Potato flauta was the best thing I had.

There you go!! Thank you for the recommendations. I was there close enough to breakfast time I should have gotten the chilaquiles. Now I have a reason to go back.

4 Likes

They serve breakfast all day like everyone should.

I ate chilaquiles at 7 pm there tonight.

I have been recommending their breakfast foods for at least a year on here hah.

4 Likes

many thanks for this. i always wondered what the difference between the two was.

I must’ve eyeballed EK Valley a hundred times waiting for my food from Guerilla Tacos. Very curious to try it. What do you all recommend?

EDIT: Oops, just saw your follow-up comments. Can’t wait to try it!

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed. I feel like everyone has a go-to, gluttonous type of food to get after a bad day or something rough in life. For me, it’s the chilaquiles at TLA.

1 Like

This comment is pretty much spot on.

1 Like

Well thank you, too!!! :slight_smile:

Clayuda at EK Valley was indeed, quite tasty.

6 Likes

My favorite is Tlayuda L.A.They don’t use pork lard on in the Tortilla, but their ingredients are top notch. When I can’t get over there, EK Valley is a FINE specimen.

–Dommy!

1 Like

Melody’s

Rico’s Nachos + asada

Enchilada/Hard shell taco combo

This place could be a gem if they cared just a little bit more. The nachos photograph great but don’t taste as good as they could - chips fried in oil not hot enough resulting in them being oily and not as crunchy as they should have been. Haphazard placement of the ranchero sauce meant only the left side of the plate had sauce. the plate, while pretty, made the nachos a pain in the ass to eat - use a bigger plate plz.

The beef taco was good, and the beans also tasty. The enchilada was cold in the center with no melty cheese in sight.

These are the same guys that run Las Fuentas right?

It was satisfying enough…but we should’ve gone to Salsa & Beer

2 Likes